Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 3.0
Occupation
Cyber Security
The metal tubes on mine measure at 6.25”

I used a metal ruler touching the top of the spring perch the metal not the coil isolator (making sure I am measuring the entire length of the tube) camera was level when I took the pic.

Jeep Gladiator Eco diesel Suspension bottoming out on normal roads C9C8E907-F276-409A-9F0F-8D232AF401D0
Sponsored

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
The metal tubes on mine measure at 6.25”

I used a metal ruler touching the top of the spring perch (marking sure I am measuring the entire length of the tube) camera was level when I took the pic.

C9C8E907-F276-409A-9F0F-8D232AF401D0.jpeg
Thats interesting, I wonder if they made the tube shorter and bumpstop longer? Now I want to measure with a ruler instead of tape, I wonder if I was bound up on a coil.

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cyber Security
Either way, if your measurements are right that means there is really no fix besides a higher ride height for the 21’s.

PackMule

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 SingGray JTRD, 2012 Dozer JK, 2014 GC
Occupation
InfoTech Retired
Thats interesting, I wonder if they made the tube shorter and bumpstop longer? Now I want to measure with a ruler instead of tape, I wonder if I was bound up on a coil.
Thanks @CreepyJeepy, @SargeDiesel I think its VERY important for us to get some good consistent reference measurements here.... I'll explain why down below.

Sarge, you state your uptravel is 2.5", but looks like you are only counting to the lip of the new gray collar. If you include the width of the new collar, you are over 3". On the 2021's its only 2.5" from the strikeplate to the metal lip of the coil tower. Also, can you check to make sure you are measuring in the same way Creepy is measuring.

@CreepyJeepy, are you sure your 6.25" is at the lip of the coil tower?... in your pic it looks like there is metal below the 6.25" length. Might just be the pic.

****** Why This Is Important: *******
EVERY jounce bump manufacturer's install instructions include directions where to cut the coil tower back to. If there are different coil tower lengths from Gas vs. '21 Diesel vs. '22 Diesel, people will be cutting up their jeeps in the wrong place, and possibly exposing themselves to damage. I don't think the aftermarket manufacturers know this. Many may not have had an ecodiesel in their shops, and even if they did, might not know a difference made between model years.

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cyber Security
Yeah I agree. This is really important.

Also I am wondering if the tubes are longer on the 21 because of interference issues somewhere between the axle and engine and that issue has been solved on the 22.

I measured again and the total length is a tiny bit 1/8” at most longer than 6.25

the end of the ruler has about 1/16” before the measurements start

My length is likely 6.28” total

measured driver side

Sponsored

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
Thanks @CreepyJeepy, @SargeDiesel I think its VERY important for us to get some good consistent reference measurements here.... I'll explain why down below.

Sarge, you state your uptravel is 2.5", but looks like you are only counting to the lip of the new gray collar. If you include the width of the new collar, you are over 3". On the 2021's its only 2.5" from the strikeplate to the metal lip of the coil tower. Also, can you check to make sure you are measuring in the same way Creepy is measuring.

@CreepyJeepy, are you sure your 6.25" is at the lip of the coil tower?... in your pic it looks like there is metal below the 6.25" length. Might just be the pic.

****** Why This Is Important: *******
EVERY jounce bump manufacturer's install instructions include directions where to cut the coil tower back to. If there are different coil tower lengths from Gas vs. '21 Diesel vs. '22 Diesel, people will be cutting up their jeeps in the wrong place, and possibly exposing themselves to damage. I don't think the aftermarket manufacturers know this. Many may not have had an ecodiesel in their shops, and even if they did, might not know a difference made between model years.
@PackMule I'm not sure where your geting I said my uptravel was 2.5... this is actually what I said:

***"Just for more info for comparison, the measurement of the travel distance between the lower bump stop plate and the upper bump stop housing lip.(3-11/16")"***

I also took my measurement from the top of the bottom bump plate(strike plate) to the metal lip of the bump stop housing(I believe what you guys are calling the tube) *See pic

Referring to the same picture, I'm actually 3" at the gray bump stop collar lip, not 2.5"

I have never measured the tube length, but I can do it tomorrow in some good daylight. Has anybody else done a measurement on a 2022 tube for comparison ?

??? Maybe got me mixed up with another post ???

Jeep Gladiator Eco diesel Suspension bottoming out on normal roads Jeep=TravelDistance:BumpStop-Far

Last edited:

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic

james2021dieselglad

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Diesel
So... a Bad News update on my end...

JeepCares declined doing Mopar lift, stating its too close in time to when the TSB fix is coming out. Bummer for me, as I've been waiting over a year with this problem, and am worried after 25k miles on the truck I might have incurred collateral damage from the hits, even after babying this thing for a year.
Which means we are getting a fix which won't be the mopar lift but some half asses band aide. Terrific

PackMule

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
InfoTech Retired
@PackMule I'm not sure where your geting I said my uptravel was 2.5... this is actually what I said:

***"Just for more info for comparison, the measurement of the travel distance between the lower bump stop plate and the upper bump stop housing lip.(3-11/16")"***

I also took my measurement from the top of the bottom bump plate(strike plate) to the metal lip of the bump stop housing(I believe what you guys are calling the tube) *See pic

Referring to the same picture, I'm actually 3" at the gray bump stop collar lip, not 2.5"

I have never measured the tube length, but I can do it tomorrow in some good daylight. Has anybody else done a measurement on a 2022 tube for comparison ?

??? Maybe got me mixed up with another post ???

Jeep Gladiator Eco diesel Suspension bottoming out on normal roads IMG_20211115_125958571
Right, my bad, that was @22EcoDs that said his '22 Sport had the same 2.5" uptravel as OP. He also said his coil tower was at ~5.5", which appears to be 3/4" shorter that what CreepyJeepy measured on the '21. So you could compare/verify yours with 22EcoDs measurement above.

Sponsored

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
Right, my bad, that was @22EcoDs that said his '22 Sport had the same 2.5" uptravel as OP. He also said his coil tower was at ~5.5", which appears to be 3/4" shorter that what CreepyJeepy measured on the '21. So you could compare/verify yours with 22EcoDs measurement above.
No worries, there is a lot of information going around. Is there a certain location to measure the coil tower from ? I cant really tell where where Creepy and Eco measured from, like you said important to have a standard.

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
if there is a part number for the frame on the 22 vs vs 21 I’d like to know if it changed
where is it located ? I'll check tomorrow for you if I can find it.

PackMule

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
InfoTech Retired
Yeah I agree. This is really important.

Also I am wondering if the tubes are longer on the 21 because of interference issues somewhere between the axle and engine and that issue has been solved on the 22.

I measured again and the total length is a tiny bit 1/8” at most longer than 6.25

the end of the ruler has about 1/16” before the measurements start

My length is likely 6.28” total

measured driver side
Thanks for the double check.

Yeah, I'm wondering same as you... did they change/move something else on the '22 EcoD's that might have been interfering with the axle travel on the '21s ? What else do we not know about?

PackMule

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
InfoTech Retired
No worries, there is a lot of information going around. Is there a certain location to measure the coil tower from ? I cant really tell where where Creepy and Eco measured from, like you said important to have a standard.
It looks like @CreepyJeepy used a metal ruler, rather than a standard tape measure, so he could slide it up along side the coil isolator and get it all the way to the metal part of the coil seat. I think that's a good place to measure or reference to.
Sponsored