Sponsored

Ecodiesel power derating as temps rise?

pmpmstrb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD, JLUWD
First picture at 11:42 is at the beginning of the long 6% and the second picture at 11:53 is at the top. Didn't get one when we crested but it dropped back down into the teens pretty quickly.

IMG20220902114239.jpg

IMG20220902115401.jpg
Sponsored

NCJL

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrical
First picture at 11:42 is at the beginning of the long 6% and the second picture at 11:53 is at the top. Didn't get one when we crested but it dropped back down into the teens pretty quickly.

IMG20220902114239.jpg

IMG20220902115401.jpg
Good info. The Water Wetter did make a difference for me.
We did do about a 400 mile round trip through the mountains over the holiday weekend. Elevation from 6500’ to 9000’ up and down several times with a few 6%ish grades. The numbers are very similar to yours. Coolant and oil temps equal to about 215*. Peek oil temp 242* for about a second. Did not turn on fan till oil was 230*. Turned off at 228*. Fan was not used very often during the drive.

Question. Did you verify which plug was pressure/return? Thinking of rerouting my set up to your location. My setup is working fine. I liked knowing how much oil is going thru the system. I verified that and I’m happy. It would be cleaner tapped from the bottom of the oil filter assembly
Like yours.

Thanks

pmpmstrb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD, JLUWD
Only downside to all of this is that I have to do it all again when my JT gets here. :mad::CWL:

pmpmstrb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD, JLUWD
Good info. The Water Wetter did make a difference for me.
We did do about a 400 mile round trip through the mountains over the holiday weekend. Elevation from 6500’ to 9000’ up and down several times with a few 6%ish grades. The numbers are very similar to yours. Coolant and oil temps equal to about 215*. Peek oil temp 242* for about a second. Did not turn on fan till oil was 230*. Turned off at 228*. Fan was not used very often during the drive.

Question. Did you verify which plug was pressure/return? Thinking of rerouting my set up to your location. My setup is working fine. I liked knowing how much oil is going thru the system. I verified that and I’m happy. It would be cleaner tapped from the bottom of the oil filter assembly
Like yours.

Thanks
I'm starting to think I stated it backwards before. I initially thought that the rear port was feed, but after install and grabbing the lines the front port is way hotter than the rear port. So I'm pretty sure the front is feed. On my JT I'm considering adding a can style filter mount in line so I can run one of the 2 micron Amsoil filters.

NCJL

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrical
I'm starting to think I stated it backwards before. I initially thought that the rear port was feed, but after install and grabbing the lines the front port is way hotter than the rear port. So I'm pretty sure the front is feed. On my JT I'm considering adding a can style filter mount in line so I can run one of the 2 micron Amsoil filters.
Thanks
Another reason I want to relocate the feed/return points is that the return line from the cooler is probably around 100*. Thinking that much cooler oil than engine temp oil should not be poured back in to the top of the motor.
Maybe it’s just me.

I have less than 1k miles with the bypass filter. On the dipstick I can see about a 25/75 difference between clear and black oil with engine off. Running it all looks the same.

Sponsored

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
Interestingly mine has yet to derate and i did hit 250-251 oil temps this weekend climbing a grade.

What I find odd is that my coolant temps seem lower than everyone in here. My coolant temps never get above 225 or so.

Only modifications I have done is removing all of the foam, a KN filter, AFE intake tubes, and banks derringer set to level 6.

NCJL

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrical
Interestingly mine has yet to derate and i did hit 250-251 oil temps this weekend climbing a grade.

What I find odd is that my coolant temps seem lower than everyone in here. My coolant temps never get above 225 or so.

Only modifications I have done is removing all of the foam, a KN filter, AFE intake tubes, and banks derringer set to level 6.
Agree. I never derated due to oil/coolant temps. I saw oil temps at 248* without derate. My issue was wiring getting too hot on long drives.

I’m thinking several people have derated thinking it was oil temps. When it was wiring to close to something on the engine. Also think some have had CEL’s caused by wiring getting to hot.

And now I’m starting to think not all coolant that leaves the factory is equal.

Maybe the first thing to do is change the coolant to verify. When I added WaterWetter it was more noticeable than advertised. Apologies for starting to sound like a salesman. I have no connection to WW. Just saying what I’ve experienced.

pmpmstrb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD, JLUWD
Agree. I never derated due to oil/coolant temps. I saw oil temps at 248* without derate. My issue was wiring getting too hot on long drives.

I’m thinking several people have derated thinking it was oil temps. When it was wiring to close to something on the engine. Also think some have had CEL’s caused by wiring getting to hot.

And now I’m starting to think not all coolant that leaves the factory is equal.

Maybe the first thing to do is change the coolant to verify. When I added WaterWetter it was more noticeable than advertised. Apologies for starting to sound like a salesman. I have no connection to WW. Just saying what I’ve experienced.
Which wiring are you talking about? If that gets me more head room on temps I'll move whatever I have to. I'm actually glad you tried WW and you noticed a difference. I have some in my Amazon cart now. We're going on a 12 day trip through California in October and I want all the piece of mind I can get.

Also for a little perspective for those new to the thread the trip we took over the weekend caused me to derate with coolant temps ~250 and oil ~260 without the oil cooler on a previous trip.

2TH MVR

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD. Audi A7, Alfa Romeo 4C
Occupation
Orthodontist

Any downsides to removing the foam? Is it mostly for sound proofing? Or is there another reason for the foam?

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
Any downsides to removing the foam? Is it mostly for sound proofing? Or is there another reason for the foam?
You will hear more diesel clatter. Its not a big deal. Im installing the poison spyder hood vent (I have a sport) and removing the cowl foam pieces hoping more air escapes. Next step will be to remove the fender liners until the winter.

Sponsored

NCJL

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrical
Which wiring are you talking about? If that gets me more head room on temps I'll move whatever I have to. I'm actually glad you tried WW and you noticed a difference. I have some in my Amazon cart now. We're going on a 12 day trip through California in October and I want all the piece of mind I can get.

Also for a little perspective for those new to the thread the trip we took over the weekend caused me to derate with coolant temps ~250 and oil ~260 without the oil cooler on a previous trip.
Due to my suspension set up. Coilover/triple bypass tower set up, power steering pump with ram turned up from 1300PSI to 2000PSI, 40” tires with 5.13 gearing, etc. I was having heat issues below the fuse/relay box. Lack of air movement with everything pushed together a little tighter than factory. I heat shielded everything and the problem went away.

I had many CEL’s. Coolant/oil temp gauges went to zero, service exhaust, speed sensor out and many more during my first derate experience. I’ve also read on the JL forum some people derating have CEL’s that were traced back to the wire harnesses that runs on the firewall past the exhaust to the transmission area.

Also. I was talking to the supplier for the parts I installed about switching to the feed/return ports that you used. He highly recommended not to tap into the EcoDiesel with anything larger than a 3/8” on the pressure side. Something about losing oil in more important places within the engine.

Samfamaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Diesel Gladiator
Helped a buddy move labor day weekend. No temp problems loaded up. Cooler working well.

Finished up and pulled away from his house heading home. CP4 imploded 3 blocks away doing about 30mph. No warning, engine just shut off and I coasted to the curb. 10k miles on the truck.

Dealer was only concerned with my banks gauge. Wanted to be sure I didn't have any performance mods on the engine. Didn't care about my oil cooler.

Now we wait. Seems like parts are more available now. We will see.

Akgladiator

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Gladiator Wrangler Camaro Mustang GXP Taurus
Occupation
Bee
Helped a buddy move labor day weekend. No temp problems loaded up. Cooler working well.

Finished up and pulled away from his house heading home. CP4 imploded 3 blocks away doing about 30mph. No warning, engine just shut off and I coasted to the curb. 10k miles on the truck.

Dealer was only concerned with my banks gauge. Wanted to be sure I didn't have any performance mods on the engine. Didn't care about my oil cooler.

Now we wait. Seems like parts are more available now. We will see.
Did u run any diesel adidtives

Akgladiator

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Gladiator Wrangler Camaro Mustang GXP Taurus
Occupation
Bee
No I didn't. Researching those right now.
This gladiator is my second diesel truck. Prior is a 2021 f250 6.7 diesel. I was surprised by the diesel additives that allow that massive 6.7 to get 18mpg in city and it ran much quieter. Ever since i brought the jeep from dealership i add the hotshot additives every fuel up.
Sponsored