Sponsored

Ecodiesel power derating as temps rise?

Samfamaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Diesel Gladiator
This gladiator is my second diesel truck. Prior is a 2021 f250 6.7 diesel. I was surprised by the diesel additives that allow that massive 6.7 to get 18mpg in city and it ran much quieter. Ever since i brought the jeep from dealership i add the hotshot additives every fuel up.
Yeah, my first personal diesel. Trying to figure out
This gladiator is my second diesel truck. Prior is a 2021 f250 6.7 diesel. I was surprised by the diesel additives that allow that massive 6.7 to get 18mpg in city and it ran much quieter. Ever since i brought the jeep from dealership i add the hotshot additives every fuel up.
First diesel I've owned personally. Trying to figure out which additives will be best for me. It seems like a lot of folks are using hotshot.
Sponsored

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Yeah, my first personal diesel. Trying to figure out

First diesel I've owned personally. Trying to figure out which additives will be best for me. It seems like a lot of folks are using hotshot.
That bites........I'm on the fence as to whether the additives will save a CP4. Seems like the vids I have watched show the lifter turning sideways and wiping out the cam? So does the roller fail first and turn or does it turn and then fail? If the roller fails first, then I suppose the additive could help it live? What if fuel that is too slippery reduces traction between the roller and cam lobe allowing to turn?

I've been using Pri-D fuel addidtive since day one because I had inherited a case of it, but the Hot Shot's products look real nice too. I'm an Amsoil dealer, but like some of what Hot Shot's does better. I'm 30K in right now and it's hard to say if a person is just lucky, if the additive payed a part, or are certain pumps defective out of the gate and prone to failures?

Last edited:

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
Helped a buddy move labor day weekend. No temp problems loaded up. Cooler working well.

Finished up and pulled away from his house heading home. CP4 imploded 3 blocks away doing about 30mph. No warning, engine just shut off and I coasted to the curb. 10k miles on the truck.

Dealer was only concerned with my banks gauge. Wanted to be sure I didn't have any performance mods on the engine. Didn't care about my oil cooler.

Now we wait. Seems like parts are more available now. We will see.
Why do you have to say that. I just crossed 10k on my 22. Glad they didn't care about the cooler, not that it would have anything to do with cp4.

Sponsored

NCJL

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrical
Oil cooler coolant lines.
Does anyone know which side of the factory oil cooler is the feed/in side?
Thinking of adding a remote cooler on the feed side of the coolant lines.
One side goes to engine block. The other side to EGR. Which one is feed?
Thanks

pmpmstrb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD, JLUWD
Thanks
My guess is that it comes from the block to the exchanger to the EGR. I say this because doesn't the EGR see insane temps? If so the exchanger would heat up oil if it hit the EGR first.

Hondo1

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Ecodiesel
Occupation
Oil and gas
Thanks
I’ve already tried this, the results were underwhelming.

NCJL

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrical
I’ve already tried this, the results were underwhelming.
I did read some of your post on the subject. Thank you.
I did not see what cooler or cooler location you used.

I would not expect to lower oil temps very much with this route. I read you saw 3* lower oil temps. I was thinking it would help coolant temps more than oil.

I have verified that the oil cooler setup I have is lowering oil temps by more than 75* through the added loop and cooler. I’m seeing 13* less peak oil temps. Thinking I could get similar results with the coolant temps.

Just thinking.

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
I did read some of your post on the subject. Thank you.
I did not see what cooler or cooler location you used.

I would not expect to lower oil temps very much with this route. I read you saw 3* lower oil temps. I was thinking it would help coolant temps more than oil.

I have verified that the oil cooler setup I have is lowering oil temps by more than 75* through the added loop and cooler. I’m seeing 13* less peak oil temps. Thinking I could get similar results with the coolant temps.

Just thinking.
75 degrees but you may just be squirting a tiny bit of oil into an already steaming hot 10 quarts of oil.....its not doing much. I mentioned this previously. We need full flow oil cooling so that ALL of the oil passing through is cooled.

More testing ive done in the heat wave here:

I see that the factory setup in cool ambient temps can keep the oil about 10 degrees higher than coolant temps. When under a heavy load coolant temps get in the 220-230 range which puts oil at 245-250ish. I believe the larger radiator might keep the coolant temps down which should help the starting oil temps. Then maybe the 10 degrees some see with a bypass cooler will be enough to keep everything under control?

Sponsored

pmpmstrb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD, JLUWD
A dot? What you forget?
Maybe he did that to subscribe to the thread not knowing you can just click the "watch" button in the upper right?

Small update - I'll be installing a filter mount with an Amsoil bypass filter on the feed side of the oil cooler tomorrow. This is to help filter the oil but to also restrict it some as well. Another member here has been in talks with a company that is currently doing R&D on a cooler kit and said that running 1/2" line off the ports is diverting too much oil away from the engine. They suggested swapping out to a 3/8" feed line or adding a filter inline. I'll report back and let you know if it changes the cooling capability.

M390

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Ecodiesel
Maybe he did that to subscribe to the thread not knowing you can just click the "watch" button in the upper right?

Small update - I'll be installing a filter mount with an Amsoil bypass filter on the feed side of the oil cooler tomorrow. This is to help filter the oil but to also restrict it some as well. Another member here has been in talks with a company that is currently doing R&D on a cooler kit and said that running 1/2" line off the ports is diverting too much oil away from the engine. They suggested swapping out to a 3/8" feed line or adding a filter inline. I'll report back and let you know if it changes the cooling capability.
Exactly on the dot, thanks for enlightening me on the watch button 🍻

NCJL

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrical
I did some pressure testing with the 2 plugs on the bottom of the oil filter housing. Also tested the port coming out the top of my oil filter housing. I did all testing twice. Once with the oil pressure gauge at the end of line, then in line with flow going to my oil bypass/cooler.

The findings are simple to report. All oil PSI is the same from all ports. Matches what the Off-road pages says once warmed up.

This tells me we have an oil T-State built into the oil filter housing. Probably the black piece shown in the picture. I ran the oil temp up to 230* with no change in pressure between the 2 oil filter housing ports.

4D00FB1F-97EB-40E1-9FAD-14ACFEBF88C2.jpeg

D12D437C-F265-455B-ABAE-690654EB84A7.jpeg

17FBA11A-BD69-40B7-B451-F8EA044F7576.jpeg

F2075B50-F697-4151-8C4A-972A701FF77B.jpeg

6147CAEC-3C89-459E-8B7F-C55FF69BCC33.jpeg

NCJL

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrical
Another note. The Insane Diesel set up I have taps the oil from the top of the new oil filter housing with a 1/8 NPT fitting. The bypass oil filter is a 1 micron filter. This helps keep the oil pressure at factory levels. ID told me in a conversation “do not tap anything larger than 3/8 from the oil system due to oil not getting to all the more important places inside the engine”.

This made me think about the electric power steering pump we have on the JT/JL’s. Adding a steering ram to this system helps. However there is “dead spots” in the system while maneuvering thru rocks and such. To fix this on the 3.6 PSC replaced the electric with a pulley pump to get more volume. The other engines get a re-valved steering gear and turn up the PSI on the electric pump. Still not as good as a higher volume pulley pump.

We do not have an option to upgrade the oil pump or re-valve the engine internals within the ED. We don’t want “dead spots” inside the eco diesel.
Sponsored