First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JEEP Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Cyber Security
Been awhile since visiting this post...mine was the second reply with a legacy account (had a security breach on my end).

In any case, I did install the Insane Diesel remote filter, with fabricated hardware, and a fan-boosted air/oil intercooler, similar to what Insane introduced sometime later. Pulled the 28' Airstream from here to Delores, CO, this past June. At 62 mph, oil temps did not exceed 242f on grade, average 235f. For me, the SB scoops, proper gearing, and the oil cooler, have allowed use of the rig without excessive heatup.
This is great info! What is the dry weight of your Airstream?

Looking at insane diesel, looks like the two kits below are what I will need to complete the oil cooler setup:

OilCooler/Fan:

https://insanediesel.com/products/oil-cooler-upgrade-kit

Oil Bypass kit:

https://insanediesel.com/collection...gler-3-0l-ecodiesel-bypass-oil-filtration-kit
Sponsored

WesternJeep401

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR EcoDiesel, 2020 JLUR Supercharged
Occupation
Govt
As for the truck cooler/filter configuration, see attachments. The kit was for the Ram, Summit Racing provided the fan/cooler, Bamazon for the hydraulic hose/AN 6 connection set. The fan is on switch group "4". Be advised, should you opt for the filter cap versus pressure sender tap, you must use the GEN 2 oil filter (Baldwin, as shown; both it and the current GEN 3 filter pictured.) Relocating the Glow Plug Control Module, power steering fluid tank, engine cooling fan high-current connector, and fabrication of a simple strut was required. Torque the secondary oil filter top TO SPEC, bring the engine up to operating temp, then allow to fully cool-down overnight, then check the secondary oil filter cap top again, tightening if needed. I keep a 3/8" hex in the truck just for that purpose.

The Insane filtration setup is in parallel with the lube oil circuit, in other words, it uses a portion of the total oil capacity per "circuit" run, not unlike an old "add-on" or OE oil filtration on engines from the 30's-50's, although the Insane setup is exposed to full lube oil system pressure. It is an excellent secondary oil filtration system, providing an effective means of oil cooling for my needs. I remove the decorative trim over the cooler when towing.

Jeep Gladiator Ecodiesel power derating as temps rise? thumbnail_IMG_0824

Jeep Gladiator Ecodiesel power derating as temps rise? thumbnail_IMG_0825

Jeep Gladiator Ecodiesel power derating as temps rise? thumbnail_IMG_0826

Jeep Gladiator Ecodiesel power derating as temps rise? thumbnail_IMG_0827

Jeep Gladiator Ecodiesel power derating as temps rise? thumbnail_IMG_0828

thumbnail_IMG_0829.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0830.jpg

RandyP111

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired USAF WSO, Law Enforcement Retired
All good, I responded too and apologize for my remarks! I’m with you on no patience…..Wyoming looks more appealing to move to because no one lives there!!!
I do. More Antelope than people.

NCJL

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrical
Bought a new oil pan. Added 4-3/8 bung for oil return from Insane/cooler line, future temp sensor and 12v oil pump with cooler if necessary.
I thought the return from oil bypass filter would be more efficient going straight into the pan.
So far seems very positive. Update with some real world info soon.

Jeep Gladiator Ecodiesel power derating as temps rise? thumbnail_IMG_0830

Update.
This is working very well. Haven’t seen an oil temp above 230* not towing. Before the mods 248* was normal peak. I have been driving it more aggressively with mods for testing.
I have also got to tow my trailer recently. Weighs about 4K. I did see oil temp peak for for less than a minute @242* doing 75mph up a mile long steep grade.
Temps above are with the oil cooler fan turned off. I haven’t needed it so I kinda forgot to turn it on when towing.
The fan on/off is worth about 7*.
I want to also say this EcoDiesel has lots power straight from the factory. Very impressed. Very happy.
Jeep Gladiator Ecodiesel power derating as temps rise? C3EAFB7A-2CC8-4EAE-B92C-4F9CD6E94472

WesternJeep401

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR EcoDiesel, 2020 JLUR Supercharged
Occupation
Govt
This is great news. Excellent work and information for EcoD owners!

Sponsored

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
Update.
This is working very well. Haven’t seen an oil temp above 230* not towing. Before the mods 248* was normal peak. I have been driving it more aggressively with mods for testing.
I have also got to tow my trailer recently. Weighs about 4K. I did see oil temp peak for for less than a minute @242* doing 75mph up a mile long steep grade.
Temps above are with the oil cooler fan turned off. I haven’t needed it so I kinda forgot to turn it on when towing.
The fan on/off is worth about 7*.
I want to also say this EcoDiesel has lots power straight from the factory. Very impressed. Very happy.
Jeep Gladiator Ecodiesel power derating as temps rise? C3EAFB7A-2CC8-4EAE-B92C-4F9CD6E94472
Damn, that little trailer weighs 4k? What’s in it? What single axle suspension setup do you have on it.

NCJL

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrical
Reactions: A 2

Madtom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU, 2020 JLU, 2023 JTURD
Occupation
DOD Civilian, Retired Military
Just got a reply from Tilton. They do not recommend their oil pump in my application (Pumping 200* plus engine oil). They recommended I find a billet aluminum pump.
Quickest response from a manufacturer I can remember getting.
I asked RB racing as folks use their pumps to feed and scavenge turbos remotely. they said 230F was no problem. they use helical cut bronze gears in their pumps

https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/oilsystems.htm

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
The mods are all great but all of them will void your warranty according to the service manager at my dealership. He said warranty claims are Jeeps biggest expense and they look for reasons to deny warranty claims. He said their attorneys have nothing better to do than to sit back and stall until you give up. What BS but I found out it is true, they denied a claim on my electronic sway bar disconnect, long story but I find myself fighting Detroit now to get this issue fixed.

NCJL

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrical

Sponsored

NCJL

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrical
You said 4-3/8 bung?
Think this was directed at me. 4 was just as easy as 3. 4 flat spots on the pan. Not sure if the skid plate (future) would interfere with any of the locations.

Hondo1

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Ecodiesel
Occupation
Oil and gas
Methanol/water injection has been mentioned a couple of times in the past on this thread. I’m curious if anyone ever actually did it and if it helped at all with our cooling issues?

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
This is probably just another frivolous post, if this teaser is a Wagoneer/Early Gladiator front end w/ a razor grill, possible it could make more room for airflow to cool?

Jeep Gladiator Ecodiesel power derating as temps rise? B4629F38-EE6D-4945-A56B-CD1205DBA52D

Last edited:

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
Methanol/water injection has been mentioned a couple of times in the past on this thread. I’m curious if anyone ever actually did it and if it helped at all with our cooling issues?

I have done some minor testing. I tried spraying into my afe tubes but the engine would not take even the small nozzle below 2500rpm. Thus I couldn’t really test up steep hills. I’m going to use the digital controller this summmer and play with it more. I also want to try a intercooler sprayer.
Sponsored