EV bus catches fire in extreme heat?

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
I don't think this bodes well for EV technology. The problems with EV in extreme cold are well documented, but this is the first time I've read about an EV being consumed by fire because of extreme heat. I'm really beginning to wonder what the upside for EV is, given that it seems like it's only stable in a state like California, where lows are in the upper 60's and highs are in the lower 90's.

This happened in Connecticut very recently.

Jeep Gladiator EV bus catches fire in extreme heat? 1658698675377
Sponsored

Dartboy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Miata, 21 MaxTow
Occupation
Facilities Maintenance
All the articles Ive seen said the cause was still under investigation. Where are you seeing it was caused by the heat?

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
We have EV muni bus service here, no bonfires to report. This part of CA is consistently >100 deg in the Summer. How many REGULAR Diesel bus riders get to play firefighter? I saw one in Oakland, CA once, 30+ years ago.

EV for urban transit makes good sense, I don't get the EV hate.

Edit to add: And low to occasionally sub 30 deg in Winter. One reason I used Varget for my handloads when I shot a lot of High Power, the temp swings are LARGE over the course of the year.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Technology always has a learning curve. Lithium batteries are no longer used or allowed on commercial aircraft.

Electric busses have been in use for a long time. The cause will likely be the result of a mechanical failure. When the batteries do get ignited, it results in quite the fire.

Sponsored

The Bean

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S (Sold)
I don't think this bodes well for EV technology. The problems with EV in extreme cold are well documented, but this is the first time I've read about an EV being consumed by fire because of extreme heat. I'm really beginning to wonder what the upside for EV is, given that it seems like it's only stable in a state like California, where lows are in the upper 60's and highs are in the lower 90's.

It has been studied by various groups that EV’s are statistically less prone to vehicle fires than ICE or Hybrid vehicles.

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/study-electric-vehicles-involved-in-fewest-car-fires/

https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-facing-scrutiny-for-car-fires-but-more-ice-fires-2019-5?amp

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/05/business/electric-vehicle-safety.html

The thing about EV’s is that when they do (rarely) ignite, the fires themselves are more intense. Electrical fires burn hotter, and require specialized equipment to put out. Additionally they tend to have longer lasting hot spots which can reignite their initial fire. But even with all of that, in published studies, EV’s still have a lower likelihood of catching on fire than an ICE or Hybrid vehicle.

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
Lithium batteries are no longer used or allowed on commercial aircraft.
Not sure what you mean, but lithium batteries are on essentially every single flight these days. Cell phones, electric shavers, laptops, drones etc etc

You can't have spare batteries in checked luggage, but if they are built into a device (razor, laptop etc) that's fine.

When I travel with my tools I just have to have my battery packs in my carry on.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker

Low 60’s and high 90’s??
Maaaaaan the few years I was in Ridgecrest lows were around 10* and high was 118*……

India-ThreeZeroThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport, 1995 YJ Cummins R2.8
Occupation
Retired slug. Drive RVs to Alaska
What do you mean you haven't heard of EV's burning up? Just that EV's make the news if they go up. Watching some YT stuff about EV they do mention running coolant through battery packs. Anything that creates friction has the risk of catching on fire.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure what you mean, but lithium batteries are on essentially every single flight these days. Cell phones, electric shavers, laptops, drones etc etc

You can't have spare batteries in checked luggage, but if they are built into a device (razor, laptop etc) that's fine.

When I travel with my tools I just have to have my battery packs in my carry on.
I read the article a long time ago. Boeing initially used lithium batteries in one of their new models. They had some fires that were traced back to the batteries and Altitude and Temperature changes.

If you order anything with a lithium battery in it, look on the outside of the box when it arrives. It usually has a label on it saying it has to be shipped by ground.

Sponsored

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
If you order anything with a lithium battery in it, look on the outside of the box when it arrives. It usually has a label on it saying it has to be shipped by ground.
As the guy youre quoting said, they aren't allowed in the cargo hold. The passenger hold is pressurized. Shipping packages is all cargo hold.

You statement that lithium batteries have to ship ground and his statement that every commercial passenger flight has hundreds of lithium batteries on it can coexist. I typically fly with 4 lithium batteries every time I travel (work phone, personal phone, battery bank, laptop)

Klicht87

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Veteran/DoD Program Analyst

My father in law works at CT Transit where this bus caught fire. He said it was insane how much heat it put off. Those batteries are hard to put out.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Technology always has a learning curve. Lithium batteries are no longer used or allowed on commercial aircraft.

Electric busses have been in use for a long time. The cause will likely be the result of a mechanical failure. When the batteries do get ignited, it results in quite the fire.
I agree with you except for one small point of fact. Li batteries are allowed on commercial aircraft if they are part of the aircraft. I know this isn't what you meant. But it shows that properly managed (controlling charging, output and voltage levels very carefully ), designed and quality controlled batteries can be safe and reliable.

Early problems with the 787's lithium batteries bursting into flames shows the importance of managing them properly.

ezekio3160

First Name
Ezekiel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon