Factory Trailer Brake Controller releases ...EDIT: STILL WAITING

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
How the heck would it recognize a brake controller?
Via which wire? Can't be the blue - that's a run back to the trailer. The controller itself senses a trailer connection on that because of continuity to ground through the solenoids.
White? That's a pure ground
Black? That's a plain 12v battery signal.
Red - that's brake lights - is he suggesting it senses something else on the brake light circuit?

I bet he's guessing based on OTHER vehicles.
Restore? Hmmmmm, restore what?
Now if they do a PCM update - that's not due to this, that's because there's a PCM update for it. Mine got that last week.

I'm going to love to see how the first 1 or 2 of these come out! Can't wait to see what they do and how the JT behaves after. This will be interesting.
I wonder if it is something simple. Like detects a trailer plugged into the 7 pin and is powering the adapter and displays that status. I agree it can't be giving much because of no central connection.
Sponsored

mpainting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
How the heck would it recognize a brake controller?
Via which wire? Can't be the blue - that's a run back to the trailer. The controller itself senses a trailer connection on that because of continuity to ground through the solenoids.
White? That's a pure ground
Black? That's a plain 12v battery signal.
Red - that's brake lights - is he suggesting it senses something else on the brake light circuit?

I bet he's guessing based on OTHER vehicles.
Restore? Hmmmmm, restore what?
Now if they do a PCM update - that's not due to this, that's because there's a PCM update for it. Mine got that last week.

I'm going to love to see how the first 1 or 2 of these come out! Can't wait to see what they do and how the JT behaves after. This will be interesting.
Yeah, I have no clue about any of that! You know way more than me, so I will let everyone know if there is any sort of display when I connect the camper this weekend. I bet you are right, though, I assume he is going off the RAM...

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I have no clue about any of that! You know way more than me, so I will let everyone know if there is any sort of display when I connect the camper this weekend. I bet you are right, though, I assume he is going off the RAM...
I *think* I am correct, but in a way hope I'm wrong if that makes sense ha.
This is one of those things I'm anxious to see the outcome for multiple reasons, and either way.

If I'm wrong, I'll be happy. I'll also want to learn exactly how it "senses" things off those wires as it could be handy later in avoiding a problem by assuming they are "dumb wires".
If not, then I guess I can say, well, I did have it figured out. They are "dumb wires".

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is going for a dealer install tomorrow. This is a text from service manager..."we have to do a vehicle restore after putting the accessory in, otherwise the vehicle does not recognize it has a brake controller. This does not change the software level of the vehicle in any module. I'm not 100% sure how the display will look with the brake controller as I have not personally seen one installed yet. My expectation is that it will be similar to the RAM"...we shall see
Based on that he clearly hasn't installed one yet or read the instructions. There is zero instructions for doing a flash or configuration restore, which would be mentioned in the install guide if it was needed. Based on the instructions and user guide in this thread there will be no screen display like the Ram.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
I talked to a service advisor today at my dealership who said he talked to his service lead guy, said the vehicle needs to be flashed just like the rams do.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think they know - and we won't until one or MORE are actually DONE.
I was in at the local dealership today taking care of paperwork dealing with a trade we made up north and I spoke with the service guy about the deal with 6 quarts vs 5 for the JT and all that (some of them knew, some didn't - figures) and they said "doesn't look like it, shouldn't" but didn't know for sure. He looked on some screen he had but didn't spend a lot of time, neither did I as I figured I'd find out for sure once a few folks here had it done.
If it changes nothing on the cluster or radio screen, then it's not necessary because there's nothing that connects these things to the bus. Only connection to anything is the brake light sense lead.

If they say a flash is required - what wire is reading the controller? Power? Ground? Blue to trailer brakes? the wire the controller uses to sense vehicle brake lights?

Bottom line - it's PURE speculation - that's all it is - until someone has one INSTALLED and sees a difference on the screen or vehicle behavior with it.
As far as "flash" - flash means a software UPDATE.
Otherwise - they are putting in a code, not a flash.
A flash re-writes the non-volatile memory with new code (a revision or software update)
Tazer, jscan, etc. modify settings telling it that it has something or something was removed, or a setting changed from yes to no, or tire size changes, etc.

So - that being said - a flash? Meaning they update with new code?
If that's the case, no one but a dealer can install these - but I strongly doubt that.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I think the dealers saying it requires a flash haven't read the instructions and are relying on their Ram experience where it does require a flash. Here's a link to the instructions for a Ram controller, note the section towards the end that shows the sales code and how to flash it:

https://www.allmoparparts.com/docs/82215278AD.pdf

If you look at the instructions posted for the Gladiator controller, there are no flash steps listed. The only thing showing is the ADH sales code, which is the trailer wiring. If you have it (all Gladiators do), then you just plug it in under the dash like any aftermarket controller and you're set. The vehicles without wiring are Wranglers ordered with no tow package, so on those you have to add the harness, which includes a blue wire for the brake controller. This requires an extra harness shown in the instructions to go from the controller to that add on harness.

Bottom line, if you compare the instructions for Ram and Gladiator, you'll see no flash required for the Gladiator. I'll install mine once it gets here and the rain goes away and take some pictures of everything.

mpainting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
quick update...dealer install done yesterday. looks great. $257 for the controller, about $100 for labor, and with supplies/tax it was $397. 12V does reach to glove box. I did not have a chance to speak with anyone about a flash as the sales manager lives near my office and did a pick up/drop off for me, but there is nothing that tells me there will be a screen display. I haven't had a chance to plug in my camper, but based on the operation instructions that you all have seen, it will just be a few colored lights at the controller to indicate use. I'll be towing my camper this weekend, so I will post if a miracle screen display occurs.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
quick update...dealer install done yesterday. looks great. $257 for the controller, about $100 for labor, and with supplies/tax it was $397. 12V does reach to glove box. I did not have a chance to speak with anyone about a flash as the sales manager lives near my office and did a pick up/drop off for me, but there is nothing that tells me there will be a screen display. I haven't had a chance to plug in my camper, but based on the operation instructions that you all have seen, it will just be a few colored lights at the controller to indicate use. I'll be towing my camper this weekend, so I will post if a miracle screen display occurs.

So folks know as there are a half dozen threads in this thing -

IF you have the factory 7 and 4 position connector (which means you have the factory tow package of some sort) then this is a plug and play install.
**NO OTHER HARNESS NEEDED!**
Any time you see those plugs back there, it means it's WIRED and the fuses are in place.
Yes, that code is another indication Jeep rushed this and likely used some instructions from something else to get things going.

If you have a JT with those plugs and a receiver hitch, you have code ABR.
The one listed in the instructions are yet another Jeep screw-up - that's the code for Wrangler - and this unit works in either Jeep.

This really ain't complicated.

As far as "flash" - or other software hijinks, unless you see the code for that on your invoice - then NO, they didn't touch the electronics or make any software changes. They must track and list that sort of thing. Jeep needs to know what's been touched by dealers in the software.

ALL INDICATIONS ARE - In this case, like has been said - this isn't like the Ram.
It's a plug and play stand-alone brake controller and not integrated into the cluster.
Can't go ask a dealer because they simply don't know yet unless they have installed a couple.

IF you do not see the code for software change/flash/update on that invoice, they didn't do anything with the software because they must track that. It is tracked in the Mopar service records.
No line indicating such a change, no such change was made.

I'm again going to make an educated assumption based on experience, the device itself, wiring, instructions, and other fun stuff - this is exactly like the Redarc controller wrapped in a custom appearance.
This means it will have the same sort of light - or very similar, that is active only when a trailer is attached, it will glow to indicate it sees a trailer (low current through the brake solenoids says hey, there's a trailer back there) and it will change color as you hit the brakes and it applies trailer brakes.

I'm sticking my neck out and messing with my reputation - but I've done worse - this is a simple physical install, no getting into the electronics or software to make any update or change.
Plug it in, put the parts where they belong, you have a brake controller - that doesn't integrate into the cluster/display.

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
but there is nothing that tells me there will be a screen display.
Unless that trailer brake harness connector has a CAN bus wire on it I doubt there is display interaction. It's possible but hard to say without a wiring schematic. I have not taken mine out of the box to inspect, hopefully I will get some time tonight. Nothing in the instructions posted mentions it so I would be inclined to say it is just like the Redarc in a different 'factory' package.

No display interaction would mean no flash required as it would be different than the RAM brake controller. The only flash would be if you were adding the tow package and had to add in the additional wiring. There are no additional sales codes mentioned in the install instructions to indicate a flash required specifically for this unit.

Sponsored

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s some more pictures and zoom of the instructions showing the various LEDs and their meaning from a Facebook post. Most exciting for me is that it illuminates, so it’ll be easier to see at night.
Jeep Gladiator Factory Trailer Brake Controller releases ...EDIT: STILL WAITING 4F1D2833-77C8-40DF-87D3-3DA1E67749D2
Jeep Gladiator Factory Trailer Brake Controller releases ...EDIT: STILL WAITING 884CBE12-B671-4B9D-A448-904BF1E4E0C3
Jeep Gladiator Factory Trailer Brake Controller releases ...EDIT: STILL WAITING 52C5326D-7947-4452-90D6-3814079E9B27

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Unless that trailer brake harness connector has a CAN bus wire on it I doubt there is display interaction. It's possible but hard to say without a wiring schematic. I have not taken mine out of the box to inspect, hopefully I will get some time tonight. Nothing in the instructions posted mentions it so I would be inclined to say it is just like the Redarc in a different 'factory' package.

No display interaction would mean no flash required as it would be different than the RAM brake controller. The only flash would be if you were adding the tow package and had to add in the additional wiring. There are no additional sales codes mentioned in the install instructions to indicate a flash required specifically for this unit.
I have already posted the wiring - it's a simple 4 wire affair. In fact, Jeeps such as Grand Cherokee come with a universal type harness that has these same 4 wires -

Black - 12 volts (+) to power the controller AND supply current for trailer brakes.
White - ground (-) (earth for Aussies and Brits) - ground for the controller electronics. Simple.
Blue - output from controller to TRAILER BRAKES - goes all the way back to the 7 position plug
Red - controller can sense when the truck brakes are applied - this is the brake light signal to controller. On older vehicles, this may also supply the ability to trigger brake lights if you use the controller manually, otherwise on Ram, Jeep and other vehicles, there's a diode to prevent controller feedback into the brake light system which confuses the light bus. Since these can sense the lights, what's working what's not, any other signal into that brake light circuit can confuse things.

4 wires, none of them of any consequence.
Battery power - ON ALL THE TIME - black
ground - white
wire to the trailer brakes - blue
brake light circuit - red

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
My controller arrived today, now I just need the rain to go away. Might be a tomorrow job at this point.

One thing I noted was that the controller has been speculated to be made by Redarc, however I believe it may be Tekonsha instead. I say this because the wiring harness that connects the controller box to the truck appears to have a Tekonsha connector on it. Here’s a picture of the connector from the kit harness and the one Tekonsha sells for their standard controllers, appears to be the same thing.

Jeep Gladiator Factory Trailer Brake Controller releases ...EDIT: STILL WAITING BBCEDA94-F553-43AB-873C-644C62AC0FD9
Jeep Gladiator Factory Trailer Brake Controller releases ...EDIT: STILL WAITING 00FA9482-968D-433C-BAB1-6085A0559CAD

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My controller arrived today, now I just need the rain to go away. Might be a tomorrow job at this point.

One thing I noted was that the controller has been speculated to be made by Redarc, however I believe it may be Tekonsha instead. I say this because the wiring harness that connects the controller box to the truck appears to have a Tekonsha connector on it. Here’s a picture of the connector from the kit harness and the one Tekonsha sells for their standard controllers, appears to be the same thing.

BBCEDA94-F553-43AB-873C-644C62AC0FD9.jpeg
00FA9482-968D-433C-BAB1-6085A0559CAD.jpeg
I think you may be correct. I noted that cable and the the interface cable as well.
Plus all parts made in Mexico. I would bet Redarc, unless they licensed a design, would not be made in Mexico.
Both are good brands. I had the Tekonsha in my Chevy and it was fine except after 5 or 6 years the lever became impossible to move over to manually apply the brakes. It was like it corroded inside or something, otherwise it worked fine.

Mine also arrived today - will be a tomorrow job as it's cold again here and I have some plating to do and wiper motors to work on. My stuff has to wait. Tomorrow will be warmer, though.
Should go easy since all I have to do is remove the Redarc and put this in its place.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Did anyone else find their controller put together BACKWARDS???

Look at my real controller AS IT ARRIVED, then look at the "instructions" and compare how it really is to how they say it is.......

I still have not found the mount points - I find nothing with holes spaced like this, but before that, it appears I have to take this apart and turn it around??
Who else has actually installed one themselves - is the book correct, or did the staff in Mexico do it right and the illisturator screwed up?

Oh, and the controller must have the circuit inside to isolate it from the brake light system as there's no diode in the cable that comes with these.

Jeep Gladiator Factory Trailer Brake Controller releases ...EDIT: STILL WAITING IMG_20201030_130934

Jeep Gladiator Factory Trailer Brake Controller releases ...EDIT: STILL WAITING IMG_20201030_130946
Sponsored