First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Wow, you’re being a jerk to this guy and I. I think I explained enough to get the point across
I agree you really did.

And you're probably better off without his help anyway. He's been wrong about alot of things including thinking there is currently more than one engine option.

Wow! This thread went sideways. I still think the JT is fine on 37s with the automatic transmission and 4.10 gears. It might be more ideal somewhere around 4.56, but it’s not worth the cost for the little gains, in my opinion. I recently drove it on a 800 mile round trip vacation, and it easily cruises at 80mph on the interstate. (Don’t ask me what gear it was in, because all I know for sure is that it was in D. I turned off the gear indicator because it was making me crazy watching it.)
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...s-is-geared-the-same-as-a-sport-on-33s.23066/

I actually did the math on it in that post. 37s on a Rubi are basically the same as 33s on a sport. The 8 speed is very well thought out in it's ratios.
Sponsored

CJ7nvrstk

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ, 11 JKU
IMO, a gear swap would be more for transmission life than anything when running a juicer. It would certainly be more noticeable with a manual going from a 29” tire to a true 36” in this instance.

looking forward to the diesel. Diesel with the increased torque and a juicer it should even be more tolerable to jump up in tire size and not have it effect drivability.

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition (White), 2001 TJ Sahara (white)
Vehicle Showcase
Did this recently. I'm shocked at how well the the truck handles the 37s with 4.10s. I will not be re-gearing soon. If I did I would only step up to 4.56s.

Southbayglad

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator 2020
Every thread gets derailed eventually. I love the west and the high elevations. I have a 5300 mile trip planned for next summer. We will leave from Nashville and head west to the Grand Canyon, then on over to Death Valley, Couple days in Yosemite, then over to Yellowstone and finally finish up at Mt Rushmore. So this time next year I will have some valuable info on 37s with .410 gear. As it is now I have 4200 miles in that configuration
You should make a side trip to Chester Ca. Most beautiful place in Ca and a secret.

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Sting grey M/T. Prius...
Might be a silly question, but I have a manual rubicon, so 4.10 gears. Is the performance going to be better or worse on larger tires compared to the 10 speed automatic? Would it be necessary for me to regear if I go with 35s or 37s?

Sponsored

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition (White), 2001 TJ Sahara (white)
Vehicle Showcase
Might be a silly question, but I have a manual rubicon, so 4.10 gears. Is the performance going to be better or worse on larger tires compared to the 10 speed automatic? Would it be necessary for me to regear if I go with 35s or 37s?
You should notice it more. As you have less gears. The auto is actually an 8 sp.

Does that mean it will be terrible? nope...best to ask someone that has already done it though. Better yet find a buddy with 35s/37s and bolt them on and try it out!

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Sting grey M/T. Prius...
You should notice it more. As you have less gears. The auto is actually an 8 sp.

Does that mean it will be terrible? nope...best to ask someone that has already done it though. Better yet find a buddy with 35s/37s and bolt them on and try it out!
Oops you're right 8 speed not 10 haha! I'll probably end up with 35s, I really don't want to mess with the internal components going up to 37s.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Here’s a curveball to the thread. Since the JL rubicon with a diesel is coming with 3.73 gearing, it’s likely that the JT will as well at least IMO. IF that’s the case, 4.11 gearing would match 37s. Will it be worth switching?

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Here’s a curveball to the thread. Since the JL rubicon with a diesel is coming with 3.73 gearing, it’s likely that the JT will as well at least IMO. IF that’s the case, 4.11 gearing would match 37s. Will it be worth switching?
I don’t think anyone knows the answer to diesel scenarios until they arrive and are tested. Anything at this point will just be speculative.

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I dumped some 4.88 in the Glad today. Perfect gearing for the JT.

Sponsored

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon (WILD MED)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I dumped some 4.88 in the Glad today. Perfect gearing for the JT.
On 37"s? I'm leaning towards 4.88.
Just got my 37"s yesterday and have driven street and 70 mpg highway for about 60 miles. I can say that on the low end the 3.6 does not struggle at all0.Still peppy around town. But on the highway it will shift to 6th for the slightest hill and is only in 8th on perfectly flat or down hills. Mpg just at 15 mpg at 70. So I'll likely re-gear to get a little of my highway performance back,.

Southbayglad

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator 2020
Got 37's put on yesterday. Drove around town for about an hour. First impression; does not struggle at all off the line. Seems to change gears, and push the weight with little noticeable difference. Going on a 7 hr trip in late December with a 3,000 ft climb, so will report back then.

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
On 37"s? I'm leaning towards 4.88.
Just got my 37"s yesterday and have driven street and 70 mpg highway for about 60 miles. I can say that on the low end the 3.6 does not struggle at all0.Still peppy around town. But on the highway it will shift to 6th for the slightest hill and is only in 8th on perfectly flat or down hills. Mpg just at 15 mpg at 70. So I'll likely re-gear to get a little of my highway performance back,.

That was my experience on 4.10s too.
I shared a video with my thoughts to our YouTube page about the gears.

Here if you want to check it out.

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon (WILD MED)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
That was my experience on 4.10s too.
I shared a video with my thoughts to our YouTube page about the gears.

Here if you want to check it out.
I'm really curious to see what your Highway MPG improves to. I drive a lot of highway miles and getting back 1-2 MPGs at 60-70 would be huge!

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I'm really curious to see what your Highway MPG improves to. I drive a lot of highway miles and getting back 1-2 MPGs at 60-70 would be huge!
I have to travel about 30 min to get to a speed limit over 60 and once I do there is a pass to climb to get out of the valley I'm in. I'll know for sure how she does on the highway end of Jan when I drive 10 hours both ways to king of the hammers.
Sponsored