First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
are you sure about that 45 lbs per corner? Just to make sure I looked up the weight of my 37x12.5r17 BFG KO2s and they tip the scales at 69 pounds each. I also looked up the mass of the Fallen WildPeak ATs that my LE came with and they are 63 pounds per tire. That is a grand total of 24 pounds added to the unsprung weight of my Gladiator. I would say that the differences in rolling mass are negligible if even perceptible. The gear change of the larger diameter tire lowers my .410 to about a .373. I have said it before and I will say it again I could not ask for my Gladiator to be any more fun to drive.

37x12.5R22 ridge grapplers are 79lbs.
I picked a random 22x10 fuel maverick as reference and that one was 54lbs. They could have been 10% lighter or they could have been wider and thus even heavier.

Compared to the stock 17” wheels at 23lbs and 62lbs for the Falkens that’s 48lbs per corner x 4 x 10

On your Jeep, you added a second passenger full time. That’s no big deal
Sponsored

Lynn_F

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I test drove a gladiator Rubicon with 37s and a Mopar lift today and it was a complete dog. Maybe I'm just used to sports cars or maybe because the wheels were 22s with 37 inch grapplers on them? Sure it drove fine in traffic but man you could tell it was pushing some heavy tires.
I driv
I test drove a gladiator Rubicon with 37s and a Mopar lift today and it was a complete dog. Maybe I'm just used to sports cars or maybe because the wheels were 22s with 37 inch grapplers on them? Sure it drove fine in traffic but man you could tell it was pushing some heavy tires.
I am running essentially the same set-up. 37x13.50r22 RBP Repulsor (78.73lbs) and Moto Metal Link 22x10 (51lbs). I bought these a few months ago and put them on my JKU knowing that I was gonna move them over to my JT when I bought it. I had a JKU Sport w/ 373's and compared to that, my Sport S Max Tow drives like a dream. Compared to a Corvette, it is a blind 3-legged dog with Gout. I haven't had a chance to pull my SxS yet but am planning on taking it down to Crystal Beach for Labor Day weekend. I'll report on how that goes.

20190819_204151.jpg

20190524_193913.jpg

MPETE

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Wrangler Sport, 2015 NIssan Frontier SV crew cab VTP 4x4, 1996 Chevy S10 excab sportside 4.3 5spd
Occupation
F*rd parts guy
Compared to the stock 17” wheels at 23lbs and 62lbs for the Falkens that’s 48lbs per corner x 4 x 10

On your Jeep, you added a second passenger full time. That’s no big deal
@TheSolarWizard
You're confusing unsprung weight with rotating mass, Yes, the "actual, physical" additional weight or "UNSPRUNG WEIGHT" is the equivalent of 192lbs, BUT ROTATIONAL MASS is about 3x the penalty of unsprung weight.
So in actuality, you have added the equivalent of 576 ADDITIONAL POUNDS. That makes A LOT more difference than adding a person.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
@TheSolarWizard
You're confusing unsprung weight with rotating mass, Yes, the "actual, physical" additional weight or "UNSPRUNG WEIGHT" is the equivalent of 192lbs, BUT ROTATIONAL MASS is about 3x the penalty of unsprung weight.
So in actuality, you have added the equivalent of 576 ADDITIONAL POUNDS. That makes A LOT more difference than adding a person.

No I’m definitely not confusing them. I was addressing two separate setups. One Jeep added 24 lbs of rotational mass total and one added 48 per corner. It’s a 10x multiplier

Sponsored

smess

Three days of running 4.10 and 315/70/17 60-75 mph on the highway Missouri to Colorado and I have to say I would take it a step further and do a set of normal weight 37's with the current gear. Yes she kicks down and borrows a lower gear for some assistance but not like an old under geared 5 speed that would kick down and borrow the gear for a while and scream and then do it over and over again. The 8 gear tranny has some secret oil in it or something.

Would I run a heavy mud e range 10 ply tire- no. But I would run an efficient 37 A/T or R/T or MTR with the current gear and then I think that's it without a re-gear.

A grappler (in the same 17" scenario) is a horrible example of a tire to use in this conversation. It is a heavy, loud, inefficient anchor of a tire. I would run them on a dump truck as long as I didn't own it.

And my motor is not even broken in yet, it only has 700 miles on it.

I completely agree with Tennessee.

I am getting low 20's at 60-64mph and just below 20 at 70-72 mph so with a 37 I bet I would still get 17-18 highway and those numbers are not based on flat or mountain, its been a mix. Even if it was 16 to run 70 that's good stuff.

Those are respectable numbers for an out of the box Jeep.

Next step is to install the Edge Pulsar and pick up 30 more ponies and better throttle response and I bet the 4.10, 37, leveling kit, Pulsar combo will be the perfect recipe for a Rubicon Gladiator.

In the past do you know how much aftermarket money we would have to spend to get clearance, looks, and performance numbers like that? We can do it with a JT for $2500 or less. A JK or TJ that would have costs easy 8k or more with the lift, tires, and the re-gear.

G8R

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon-solid white
Occupation
Medical Devices
After a week of driving my Rubicon on 37's, I'll echo what several have said- The 8-speed automatic transmission has negated the "need" to regear for 37s. My JT with 4.10s pulls 37s much better than my JK did with 4.88 gears. Gas mileage does suck, with mine showing around 15 mpg, but it's actually about 10% better than indicated (haven't corrected the speedometer for the tires yet), and I live on a mountain.
There's a "Mountain" in Tennessee? Where is that? I just spent the whole summer in TN but could barely discern any hills anywhere. Drove from Memphis to NC twice and still didn't see one... Oh, wait, I am from Colorado so shut up...

G8R

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical Devices
While I have not driven with 37's I have some indirect comparison. I went wheeling with another member who had a JT Rubicon on 37's with the 2" Mopar. Driving up into the "mountains" I actually had to stomp on my accelerator to keep up with him. I never felt like my rig was superior to his in acceleration or pulling up the steep grades. But there certainly was a big difference in the number of times I scrapped the underside of my rig compared to his once we got off road.

sbetts

First Name
SB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray Rubicon
There's a "Mountain" in Tennessee? Where is that? I just spent the whole summer in TN but could barely discern any hills anywhere. Drove from Memphis to NC twice and still didn't see one... Oh, wait, I am from Colorado so shut up...
This is Signal Mtn in TN. Yes, we have mountains. NO, they are not like yours. But they can be quite steep (just not for nearly as long)! They will still suck down your gas tank! ;)
f19b3aaf51ac1547c397edefef62c7fe.jpg

G8R

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical Devices
That is beautiful! I have to check that out.

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
This is Signal Mtn in TN. Yes, we have mountains. NO, they are not like yours. But they can be quite steep (just not for nearly as long)! They will still suck down your gas tank! ;)
f19b3aaf51ac1547c397edefef62c7fe.jpg
What is that a picture of exactly? It’s not Signal Mountain...

sbetts

First Name
SB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray Rubicon
What is that a picture of exactly? It’s not Signal Mountain...
I think this is a better pic of the "W" road that I was looking for (although obviously very old). That other pic showed up several places saying it is the W road. I thought it looked like it had too many serpentines! lol.
d0084d2b5c77411f7b6d6e421e322c05.jpg

Reactions: G8R

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I think this is a better pic of the "W" road that I was looking for (although obviously very old). That other pic showed up several places saying it is the W road. I thought it looked like it had too many serpentines! lol.
d0084d2b5c77411f7b6d6e421e322c05.jpg
There you go, and it still pretty much looks the same today...

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link
Signal is only 20,000 ft thats not a real mountain lol
IMPORTANT SAFETY TIP:
When talking smack, get your facts straight.
According to Google, Signal Mountain, TN is 1703, so I'm guessing you meant 2k, not 20k.
A 20,000 ft mountain would make it the 2nd highest in North America, surpassed by only Denali in Alaska by 308'. It would BY FAR be the highest in Continental US.

just thought I'd get my smart-assed post for the day out of the way early...:LOL:
Sponsored