Sponsored

Finally available! > 2020 Jeep Gladiator Accessories - Trailer Brake Controller - 82215652

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Brake Controller? Correct me if I am wrong, according to the Owners Manual while towing you are to use the manual shift mode this will also be the same as the Locking In your transmissions torque Converter, Otherwise you risk transmission slippage or possible damage. I was concerned without a brake control this may happen also the manual said do not cut into any brake wiring? Testing I did apply brakes and they worked with manual shift mode proportionately.

Also i found a "Plug and Play" Brake control on Amazon for Jeep seven prong receiver after trying my tow I did not think it was necessary.

20191222_102622.jpg
Here’s a AAA reference on state laws. https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-brakes/
IMHO the laws of physics strongly encourage the use of trailer brakes on any trailer over 3,000lbs and that is what many states require. The transmission and braking are complimentary systems but they are separate and nothing in the transmission is going to be able to decelerate the trailer, safely and in the intended steering path like properly set up trailer brakes and a controller on the tow vehicle. The Gladiator (as of right now) does not have a built in trailer brake controller so users must purchase something from the aftermarket to operate trailer brakes. A simple way of determining if you need a trailer brake controller is to ask - does the trailer I am pulling have trailer brakes? Or is it going to be over 3,000 lbs? If yes, you need a trailer brake controller for the Gladiator tow vehicle and trailer brakes on the trailer.
Sponsored

MOS63B20

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 2 Door Wrabgler 2020 Gladitor Rubicon
Manual shifting also controlled my brakes..
Here’s a AAA reference on state laws. https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-brakes/
IMHO the laws of physics strongly encourage the use of trailer brakes on any trailer over 3,000lbs and that is what many states require. The transmission and braking are complimentary systems but they are separate and nothing in the transmission is going to be able to decelerate the trailer, safely and in the intended steering path like properly set up trailer brakes and a controller on the tow vehicle. The Gladiator (as of right now) does not have a built in trailer brake controller so users must purchase something from the aftermarket to operate trailer brakes. A simple way of determining if you need a trailer brake controller is to ask - does the trailer I am pulling have trailer brakes? Or is it going to be over 3,000 lbs? If yes, you need a trailer brake controller for the Gladiator tow vehicle and trailer brakes on the trailer.

MOS63B20

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will retest! However my two axle brakes on my empty 1,700 pound aluminum trailer brakes are working when I apply the Brakes in my Gladitor Rubicon.. even tested it on ice they locked up. I would like to dial in the amount of brake my tow trailer has! 7,000 to 7,500 tow limit no brakes without a controller you say?

My worst part in towing is rear view.. I just purchased a wireless surveillance camera for the rear of my trailer with a monitor.. also extension mirrors I very much dislike.. Jeep has nothing available..

MOS63B20

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All that the law says for New York state is over 3000 pounds to have adequate breaks! How do we prove this?As Far as I'm concerned I have it right now however I'm not sure after reading what has been posted. There is a lot of data and so many threads probably a million post and I'm all over trying to find the proper information. This forum is very difficult to follow the facts from fiction so I need to do a lot of dealer and OEM investigations. The state law or state laws don't do much for me.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
As far as manual shift mode goes, my understanding is that this simply allows the user to have more control over which gear the truck is in. The computers onboard can and sometimes will still over-ride your decision to protect the drivetrain, but it gives you more control. What it does not do is affect the way the torque converter operates.

A person can do more damage while towing using the manual shift mode than they can do using normal "drive" mode.

Sponsored

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
yeah how does it change if your gladiator is a manual?

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
Brake Controller? Correct me if I am wrong, according to the Owners Manual while towing you are to use the manual shift mode this will also be the same as the Locking In your transmissions torque Converter, Otherwise you risk transmission slippage or possible damage.
A person can do more damage while towing using the manual shift mode than they can do using normal "drive" mode.
So why would the owner's manual say otherwise?

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Here is what the owners manual says about trailer brakes /trailer brake controller.
A89976ED-16CA-4810-8FA3-69733D2F61C1.png

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
So why would the owner's manual say otherwise?
I don't know which version of the owner's manual you've got, but I'm looking at version 2 and the manual shift mode is described exactly how I described it in post #80. It gives you more (not complete) control over which gear you are in, but it does not provide manual control of the torque converter. Also as noted, it's possible to lug the engine if using manual mode (which the software will attempt to prevent per page 301 in the manual) and so it's more easily possible to damage the engine in manual mode. In normal "drive" mode, the vehicle computers will never even let you approach the point of lugging the engine.

AutoStick.jpg

Sponsored

MOS63B20

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for the clarification.. Do you think this controller will work? Only name and part number here, the video explains its Bluetooth setup.

20200221_144734.jpg

TinyTink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S with Max Tow
I literally had this in my cart to buy it, not realizing it is backordered until April. Glad I checked in here first because I need this soon and I also need to reserve the 12V plug for a backup camera. I see some of you talking about the redarc and this video makes it seem like a relatively easy install that I can do myself. Would like to hear from someone who has towed with it. For those that have already installed, about how long did it take? I'm kind of worried about voiding the warranty or insurance issues with an aftermarket install like that, but I can't really wait until they release the Mopar because I have a vacation scheduled for mid-April.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I probably won't tow much and didn't want to spend $hundreds. I got the Curt Venturer 51110 and the Ram harness 15458, swapped the blue and black wires in the harness connector going to the Jeep's gray 4-pin under the dash. About $50. I mounted it to the kick panel/knee bolster under the steering wheel.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I literally had this in my cart to buy it, not realizing it is backordered until April. Glad I checked in here first because I need this soon and I also need to reserve the 12V plug for a backup camera. I see some of you talking about the redarc and this video makes it seem like a relatively easy install that I can do myself. Would like to hear from someone who has towed with it. For those that have already installed, about how long did it take? I'm kind of worried about voiding the warranty or insurance issues with an aftermarket install like that, but I can't really wait until they release the Mopar because I have a vacation scheduled for mid-April.

I put about 1250 miles on mine a couple, weeks ago and it works great. Everything went smoothly, and it works well with the adaptive cruise.

As for the install it was simple and pretty easy. I went the control knob in the 12V spot myself, but all in, I was less than an hour installing it. I did use the Redarc harness for a Ram and switched the blue and black wires, as it’s plug and play afterwards and saves on buying an adapter harness to use the Tekonsha harness.

You will be fine on warranty. They actually provide that plug under the dash expecting you to plug an aftermarket controller into it.

MOS63B20

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I watched and liked your video to install in your cab the brake controller.
I have the Curt 51180 controller in route through etrailer right now. I like the plug-and-play aspect. Then when Jeep comes out with their promised brake controller I would see if I would prefer that better.
Nice installation I'm happy that it's working for you.
Sponsored