Sponsored

Finally available! > 2020 Jeep Gladiator Accessories - Trailer Brake Controller - 82215652

MobileHomeboy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ 7, 2018 Ram 2500 Cummins, 2022 Power Wagon
Installed mine today. Thanks WXman for your input.

56983DB4-C202-4610-9074-215248997FBA.jpeg

How did you modify the hole from the 12v to allow the etrailer “trailer brake“ cover to snap in? I have the same set up and the slot on the cover is at the top and the groove on the dash is on the left side.
Sponsored

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
How did you modify the hole from the 12v to allow the etrailer “trailer brake“ cover to snap in? I have the same set up and the slot on the cover is at the top and the groove on the dash is on the left side.
On mine I made a small notch at the top to allow the cover to snap in. It would be covered if I ever returned it to stock. Some have filed the notch off the cover as well, but I preferred to keep it to make sure for whatever reason it never rotated.

JWest

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon LE, JLUR Bikini Pearl, JLUR Granite Crystal, JKU Golden Eagle
I took a knife and trimmed off the tab on the cover. Didn’t want to cut the dash panel. Worked out fine.

lobelsteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Gator
Going with Curt Echo. No need for an install and I am a set it and forget it type of driver. And if I need to adjust settings, my phone is always plugged in and on the dash magnet.

MobileHomeboy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On mine I made a small notch at the top to allow the cover to snap in. It would be covered if I ever returned it to stock. Some have filed the notch off the cover as well, but I preferred to keep it to make sure for whatever reason it never rotated.
I took a knife and trimmed off the tab on the cover. Didn’t want to cut the dash panel. Worked out fine.

Thanks!

Sponsored

Angler3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
dumb question, does it add to towing capabilities or is it an addition to safety when max towing . I have a sport s with max tow . I actually use the cigarette lighter and not sure if I’m willing to lose the option.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
dumb question, does it add to towing capabilities or is it an addition to safety when max towing . I have a sport s with max tow . I actually use the cigarette lighter and not sure if I’m willing to lose the option.
It's more a safety issue. The rules vary by state, but most require brakes on any trailer 3000 pounds or more.

I'm not willing to give up the 12v outlet. I waited for a long time to see what the mounting options would be for the factory brake controller. I finally gave up and ordered the Curt Spectrum. I got the controller and wiring harness from Amazon for $155. The controller arrived Monday and the harness should be here today.

KMal618

First Name
Keri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 2014 Jeep Wrangler JKU
Does anyone have photos of the Curt 51170 installed? Does it take the place of the 12V or mount elsewhere? I’m trying to decide between the Curt and the Redarc. The controller knob on the Curt looks larger than the Redarc. Thanks!

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone have photos of the Curt 51170 installed? Does it take the place of the 12V or mount elsewhere? I’m trying to decide between the Curt and the Redarc. The controller knob on the Curt looks larger than the Redarc. Thanks!
The Curt has multiple mounting options. I saw a picture of it done, in one of the threads, and plan to mount it on the left side of the steering wheel. I believe it is also less expensive than the Redarc.

Angler3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
It's more a safety issue. The rules vary by state, but most require brakes on any trailer 3000 pounds or more.

I'm not willing to give up the 12v outlet. I waited for a long time to see what the mounting options would be for the factory brake controller. I finally gave up and ordered the Curt Spectrum. I got the controller and wiring harness from Amazon for $155. The controller arrived Monday and the harness should be here today.
Thanks for the reply

Sponsored

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
In the video of the install on the red truck he said the dash lights " go crazy " when the brakes are activated without a trailer. Does this condition go away on it's own?
I do not have this issue. I just got a 5x8 dump trailer with 7 pin harness and no issues with dash lights.

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard

MobileHomeboy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well....... I installed the Redarc over the weekend and went on the first drive with it installed. Something weird happened. I didn’t have a trailer hooked up, but the audio on my radio kept silencing every 3 seconds or so. It only silenced for about 1 second each time , but it happened continually with every form of input until I unplugged the redarc from the Jeep. What gives?

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Well....... I installed the Redarc over the weekend and went on the first drive with it installed. Something weird happened. I didn’t have a trailer hooked up, but the audio on my radio kept silencing every 3 seconds or so. It only silenced for about 1 second each time , but it happened continually with every form of input until I unplugged the redarc from the Jeep. What gives?
Weird, never seen or heard of that issue. What wire harness did you use for plugging it into the truck?

MobileHomeboy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Weird, never seen or heard of that issue. What wire harness did you use for plugging it into the truck?
The one for the Dodge Ram. I switched the blue/black wires to make it work for the JT.
Sponsored