Fire extinguishers

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I haven’t been off road in the truck yet, but I know what it’s like to need a fire extinguisher and not have one.

My beater of a first car caught fire on the way to school, the engine, power steering and power brakes went out, and we pulled off the highway. Highway patrol saw our car smoking so they pulled over and unloaded their fire extinguisher. Still going... Local police were nearby so they stopped and unloaded theirs. Still going... clearly this was an electrical fire and the battery was still hooked up, but the whole front end was on fire so none of us were going to get close enough to pull the battery cables. Finally the fire department arrived and took care it.

Needless to say, I’m adding a fire extinguisher to my Christmas wishlist. That Element is looking pretty cool.
Sponsored

ron168

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Rubi, '20 JT Rubi LE, '17 GLS63
Can I mount a "kitchen" extinguisher in the cab? Not certain if there is a difference. I have not done any research so sorry in advance is if this is common knowledge.

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
Can I mount a "kitchen" extinguisher in the cab? Not certain if there is a difference. I have not done any research so sorry in advance is if this is common knowledge.
Fire extinguishers usually go by classes. So, it depends on what class you have. And, although one may be suitable to put out a vehicle fire (or attempt to), many will leave a residue behind or harm electronics.

Jeep Gladiator Fire extinguishers nfpa-10-fire-operation-sign-nhe-50953_1000

ron168

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Rubi, '20 JT Rubi LE, '17 GLS63
Fire extinguishers usually go by classes. So, it depends on what class you have. And, although one may be suitable to put out a vehicle fire (or attempt to), many will leave a residue behind or harm electronics.

Gotcha, good to know. Will look closely to what I have and apply accordingly. Thanks.

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I like the idea of the stick in netting, except my front doors are off until November. Guess I need both stick and traditional/h3r (or figure out another place for stick, under seat with velcro or something). Wouldn't hurt to have backup.
Those Element fire extinguishers look suspiciously similar in size to maglites. I’d be curious if a flashlight holder wouldn’t work...

Sponsored

AEsco48

First Name
AndresE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Mech Engineer/MBA/Entrepreneur
This was like $25 from home depot. "Automotive or marine use for liquid, gas, and electrical fires."

how are you liking your cloth rubicon seats?

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I found that webrestaurantstore has the best prices on fire extinguishers and free fast shipping. Almost half the price of Amazon for Halotron. I bought my Buckeye 2.5 lb. Halotron Fire Extinguisher with Fixed Nozzle (green) and DOT Vehicle Bracket for a great price. I strapped it to my side molle panel in the bed using quick fists - together with a wood splitter. Super nice extinguisher for the price. Here is a pic.

Jg105n.jpg

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
The different Halons is the best agent if you can afford it. While it is pricy it will not damage electronics like dry chemical, and cleanup is not a factor.

takeitsleazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2008 JL
I went with the JCR solution and some quick clamps. Sole reason being I’d rather give $50 to an American company that makes good stuff than $10 to some people from amazon. Both solutions work just fine I’m sure

Never heard of that Element though-definitely going to look into those

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Those Element fire extinguishers look suspiciously similar in size to maglites. I’d be curious if a flashlight holder wouldn’t work...
Look at first page of this thread. Simple clamp mount will work

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Tweezers... forget that.

You need the Fur-Zoff.

https://www.furzoff.net/

I have a big fluffy corgi who sheds while breathing. This ugly lump pulls the fur out of the seats, the carpet, the carpet in the house, the couch... it pulls sand out of the carpet mats!

And so cheap!

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
FYI, a kitchen, dry chemical extinguisher can certainly prevent your JT from burning to the ground, but boy do those things make a mess! That dry chemical stuff gets everywhere and it's very difficult to clean.

I'm thinking a CO2 extinguisher would be a better bet although I know they are more expensive.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
FYI, a kitchen, dry chemical extinguisher can certainly prevent your JT from burning to the ground, but boy do those things make a mess! That dry chemical stuff gets everywhere and it's very difficult to clean.

I'm thinking a CO2 extinguisher would be a better bet although I know they are more expensive.
I have a Halotron (Halon substitute) extinguisher inside the JT for fires in my own truck. Dry chemical in the bed for all other fires. Well, I'll use either one as necessary. In any case, I carry two.
Sponsored