Sponsored

Boston Bill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
On the contrary, I would expect the insurance company will pay; no questions asked. They likely want nothing to do with suing a dealer.
Insurance companies always ask questions before they make a payout. A lot depends on the appraiser they send out. That person can make or break a claim.
Sponsored

Boston Bill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
So sorry to hear about this. Sorry if I missed this elsewhere in the chain, but what exactly was your start-stop issue?

Asking because my ESS randomly stopped working about half a year ago. Every time I turn on the truck, I get an error saying the service isn't available because the battery is charging. If the truck sits untouched for 4-5 days, it won't start without a jump. Upon non-start, battery measures 12.1-12.3V, dash will say ~11.2V. Jeep said I have too many accessories (note: I've measured- there's no parasitic draw from those accessories), but that can't be right.

Not sure whether that lines up with your situation at all, but interested in whether you experienced something similar. (and, also, terrified to ask Jeep to fix it without setting my truck on fire too)
I have seen more than 1 battery pass its testing and not long after fails enough that needs to be replaced. Then the symptons go away!

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Insurance companies always ask questions before they make a payout. A lot depends on the appraiser they send out. That person can make or break a claim.
What's the adjuster going to do, question whether or not the Gladiator caught fire and burned? Dollars to doughnuts, the adjuster will not care about any work done by the dealer before the meltdown. I would genuinely be interested to know if it turns out otherwise.

Boston Bill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
What's the adjuster going to do, question whether or not the Gladiator caught fire and burned? Dollars to doughnuts, the adjuster will not care about any work done by the dealer before the meltdown. I would genuinely be interested to know if it turns out otherwise.
I would be interested to. And if the appraiser wants to know if his employer should pay or the dealership will pay he or she will have someone look at it.

4MOTION

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, 2021 ECD ) A90 Supra, Kia Niro
I took my beloved Gladiator into the dealer to have the start-stop feature fixed. The dealer said that the issue was that both batteries tested bad. They replaced both and kept it overnight. I picked it up the next day and on the way home all hell happened!

IMG_1220.jpeg
IMG_0110.jpeg
Bro !! WOW !

Sponsored

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
I don't mean to sound like a jerk when I say I don't think the dealer will be held accountable. I would genuinely like to see a thorough investigation into what caused this Gladiator fire to include potential dealer negligence. It's just that I've seen these situations many times and I've never seen dealers or shop owners held accountable.

I have a classic car and in that world I hear many horror stories from people who took their classic to a shop for work or a complete restoration and it was a complete disaster. Months or years go by with no work performed at all. Work that's done is very shoddy, or worse, does significant damage to the car. The ultimate horror story is people who suddenly can't get a hold of the shop, so they drop by to find it's gone and out of business. And their car is gone forever!

I have participated in many, very long discussions about hiring lawyers, pressing charges, suing; any and all attempts to hold people accountable for such things. Never, not once, have I ever heard of a customer getting anywhere.

So, this is my perspective. Again, I would really like to know if it turns out otherwise.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Everyone always asks me why I buy new, cause I never take it in for warranty work. I don't have it out for dealerships, infact I like hanging out there. The fact of the matter is, these problems are usually complex and have escaped engineering. Now people expect 120% burdened technician with little to no training on some new wizbang feature to figure it out in a day or two and have that issue good as new. Highly unlikely. The burden on dealership management and corporate, to be proactive in training and giving their staff the tools and time needed dto make it right.

The ESS system is half baked at best. The fact you have to remove the entire electrical center to access the secondary battery, and the fact that the wires and batteries are assembly specific and can be swapped around, is a major liability. There should big red labeling and poka yoke connections as reversed polarity on a high amperage system is no joke.

berb

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gadiator Sport / Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited
Occupation
Teacher
I have been watching this thread to see how things turn out for you. Is there any update on how the dealership and the insurance company plan to make you whole.

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
I have participated in many, very long discussions about hiring lawyers, pressing charges, suing; any and all attempts to hold people accountable for such things. Never, not once, have I ever heard of a customer getting anywhere.

So, this is my perspective. Again, I would really like to know if it turns out otherwise.
I want to state this upfront..... I AM NOT A FAN OF LAWSUITS and thought I'd never sue anyone. With that said, I am currently suing my local Jeep dealer.

I've posted briefly about it before, but my 2020 Gladiator was totaled due to a flood while at the dealership (had 5K miles on it and was in for a leaking roof). Normally, its an act of God, insurance pays and that's it. Well, insurance paid but I lost my small deductible. Through the insurance process etc, I found out that this dealer flooded a few years ago where vehicles were actually swept away. This time, they moved THEIR VEHICLES off the lot prior to the flood. They left all of the customers cars behind to get destroyed.

There is a lot more to the story but I do not want to post about it until the case is finalized. I had a trial date in December but it was adjourned due to Covid and has not been rescheduled yet.

The case is in small claims court and I have an attorney representing me since they have a company attorney. My attorney has stated that he truly would be shocked if I lost the case. Of course, I will be at a money loss even if I win. But, it is the principal that I am suing them for.

I plan to make a thread when the case is complete (whether I win or loose) and I will then include many more details.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Waynesoffroad

Waynesoffroad

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon 2021 Wrangler 4Xe
Occupation
Equipment Technician
I have been watching this thread to see how things turn out for you. Is there any update on how the dealership and the insurance company plan to make you whole.
Nothing yet.

berb

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gadiator Sport / Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited
Occupation
Teacher
Nothing yet.
I don't know if this story will help or not, but it's worth telling you about. I have a Class A RV that was getting warranty work done on it by a dealership. To make a long story short, the dealership messed up my entire paint job. After going back and forth with the dealership they basically told me too bad deal with it. So, I'm telling my brother in law about it and he tells me to contact my insurance company about it. So, I call GEICO and explain everything and give them my paperwork. They determine that the dealership did cause the damage and filed it under my comprehensive. GEICO covers to have the entire motorhome to be repainted and then goes after the dealership for vandalizing my motorhome.

Point of the story is, turn in your dealership paperwork to your insurance company and see if they will fight the dealership on your behalf.

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
You probably had a bad cable connection on one of the batteries. With the batteries in parallel, the other battery covered for the bad connection. When ESS activates and the batteries separate, the bad connection could have sparked or gotten hot enough from the additional resistance to start a fire.

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
The fact you have to remove the entire electrical center to access the secondary battery
This is not true. I posted about it earlier. You remove the fender, it's right there and that is the replacement procedure in the service manual. Not saying it's great, but removing the PDC is not the procedure.
Sponsored