Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Well we had an interesting 400 mile trip with two points of note for this thread. Going there 11.7 MPG, back 14.7 mpg. Weird. We did take a slightly less highway route back so I suspect the lower speeds helped the mpg. More evidence that frontal area and wind are much bigger enemies of Gladiator towing than weight.
Also had a slightly scary glitch where the brake controller would conk out every time the lights went on (like auto headlights on through a tunnel). Cleaned the contacts and cycled everything a few times and seemed to go back to normal.
Probably brought back 50 lbs of mud!

20210919_130843.jpg
Definitely a huge factor on these as far as speed vs. frontage vs. mpg. I noted it varying speeds just little bits at a time. These do GREAT at 55. In fact on fairly level ground at 55 or so I can hit mid-20s without much trouble but the same sort of roads and ground at 65 it drops 2 or 3 mpg.
These shine mpg-wise in rural driving, backroads and such. Interstate at speed limit or above - not so great, but still beats my Silverado and the WJ I had.
I still love the images of a modern Jeep pulling a classic Jeep on trailer.

All-in-all, the JT Overland is a decent tow vehicle within its limits. I was quite happy with how it performed and am not concerned about towing to other places now.
Definitely keep the tire pressure up based on tire max load at whatever inflation they specify. I suspect a lot of folks hitch up and take off and have poor results - in towing and in mpg, because they've squished their tires. There's a reason the max load is specified at a PSI different than normal running. To keep the same foot print and keep from flexing the sidewalls and generating destructive heat, increase the PSI. It's the pressure against the surface area that supports the load. More weight means the surface area or tire's foot print must increase if you don't increase the pressure. Increase the pressure and the footprint can remain the same under more weight.
It's something I know I've been in a hurry and forgotten in the past.
Sponsored

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
If you get the factory tow package, like I have on my Overland - you get the same alternator, same fans, same battery, same camera w/zoom and same hitch as the max tow.
There is no difference between the max tow and normal towing package as far as those items.

As far as brake controller - your options are wide open - Redarc, Curt, MOPAR, they'll all fit sand wire in fine because ALL Gladiators have the wiring harness for towing taped to a harness next to the left kick panel.
The only advantage the MOPAR controller has over any other is that it looks like it was put there from the factory - the design matches other center dash items. Otherwise, some of the others could be a bit easier to install in the end. I've installed both the Redarc and MOPAR. The Redarc was actually slightly easier to install and won't interfere with any dead pedal installation later. Some dead pedals mount in the same area as the MOPAR controller.

Not correct.
Max tow has same axle width as Rubicon, etc.
Sport, Sport S, Overland, have the narrow axle (by a whopping 1.5" total)
Max tow has different springs.

Keep in mind - go over your states TOWING speed limit (which is 55 in a number of states, 65 in others) and go over the rating on the door jamb sticker and in the book and have any sort of an accident, major or minor, and you can find yourself in a sticky pickle. You could be ticketed for towing over that states TOWING speed limit (which is not the same as on the signs you see along the road) and get into other troubles.

Quick question, off the top of your head, do you know how much a 2021 Gladiator Overland can tow? I have done some research and I keep getting different answers, some say 4,000lbs, some say 4,500lbs, and others say 6,000lbs! The salesman I purchased from was kind of a dumb a** and said that it could tow 6,800lbs (which would be awesome if true, I just don't know if I fully trust him because of his stupidity lol)

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Quick question, off the top of your head, do you know how much a 2021 Gladiator Overland can tow? I have done some research and I keep getting different answers, some say 4,000lbs, some say 4,500lbs, and others say 6,000lbs! The salesman I purchased from was kind of a dumb a** and said that it could tow 6,800lbs (which would be awesome if true, I just don't know if I fully trust him because of his stupidity lol)
6000 for automatic transmission.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Sweet, appreciate it! Any idea why he would say 6,800? Just him being dumb??
Too many sales people simply don't know. I've asked some very basic questions of sales people before and got shrugs and "gee, I dunno" - instead of them finding out.
The guy I bought mine through - I hated their tactics, but the guy knew his stuff on Jeep - even details (he was only wrong on one thing but that didn't matter as it wasn't anything I asked or cared about)

Sponsored

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
ShadowsPapa, do you remember what PSI you aired up the tires to for that trip?

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
ShadowsPapa, do you remember what PSI you aired up the tires to for that trip?
38 - I went partly by how they "looked", kept the tread width on the ground.

With no load that's a bit much for these tires - as shown by pictures of the tread area after I unloaded everything.

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
38 - I went partly by how they "looked", kept the tread width on the ground.

With no load that's a bit much for these tires - as shown by pictures of the tread area after I unloaded everything.
Got it. Our trailer towing weights, tire sizes, and truck payloads are similar, though I have a travel trailer sized frontal area - but that doesn't affect tires. I've been doing 36 lbs but was wondering if I should give it a little bit more. It tows fine at 36 but I think I'll try 38 next time and see how much different it feels.

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
Well, I just totally increased the towing power on my Gladiator Overland by re-powering (some may get it, other's may not...) :CWL: :CWL: :CWL: :CWL: :CWL:

Repower.jpg

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
Yes all but the max tow, Mojave and rubicon come with 3.73 gears (front and back). The other diff is the max tow has a bigger cooling fan, alternator, battery and the camera can zoom. But no other differences. Trans is the same. Axles same. Frame same. I would recommend getting the mopar class iv hitch and the mopar brake controller. I installed both myself in under two hours. The truck is already pre wired for the brake controller.
All Mojave's have 4.10s. They're limited to 6000# due to the softer suspension and anti-sway bars. All the other components you mention are exactly the same.

Sponsored

Overland-2021

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland 2021
Occupation
Cyber Security
ShadowsPapa,
You mentioned the best fuel economy while in cruise with the automatic.
How long did it take the transmission to learn how to shift?
While towing in cruise I need to manually shift.
In auto it shifts from 8 to 5th so rpms jump from 1600 to 3300 instantly.
Not a fan.

Harold0819

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Gladiator Rubicon, 2008 Jeep JKU, 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Hemi
Nice write up. Beautiful AM Eagle...They were so ahead of the times with that car. Truly the original SUV.

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I just totally increased the towing power on my Gladiator Overland by re-powering (some may get it, other's may not...) :CWL: :CWL: :CWL: :CWL: :CWL:

Jeep Gladiator First REAL towing with the Gladiator Overland --  4900 pounds tow load Repower
Where did you get the Improbability Drive badge?

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired

kostik76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Just did my first towing with 2020 sport s, manual. needless to say there is no way to get the max tow option on the manual anymore, which sux big time (and no I do not care at all for the useless 300 watt 110 outlet). So no max tow towing rt 81 going through Appalachian sucked major bottom. I averaged 100 miles per tank less than my normal 370. It was new to me so did not know if hubs on the trailer would fall off and though my tire rating was at 75 so kept to 75 (hoping the boat would still be there when I made it home), but 75 in 5th gear is a hair under the RPM needed to hold the hill so down the hill 5th about to start going up 4th and this felt like every other mile... normally I do 80 and if it gets hilly I stay in 5th without much of a problem... bottom line 800 biles there mpg at 20, same back with the boat (did not reset) mpg at 15. boat plus trailer under 1500 lb. Let me know if I did something stupid, but I will tell you if you plan on towing long distance with the gladiator sport or sahara without max tow in mountain regions think again.
Sponsored