Sponsored

Flush Mount Tail Lights

DunnMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
No, if the tail light had not been there, I would have made it by completely unscathed. You see, I was traveling forward on the muddy sloped trail. I realize it’s really my fault for not locking back. I just don’t like how they protrude from the side. It was the same with the JK license plate bracket. Many of those were caught by trees, and they moved it on the JL...
Maybe it's hard to tell from the photo but I'm with Gatorized on this....if you're cutting it that close better the tail light crunched than the corner of your box/tailgate.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Renegade

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Maybe it's hard to tell from the photo but I'm with Gatorized on this....if you're cutting it that close better the tail light crunched than the corner of your box/tailgate.
Better catch the edge of the tail light than make it past without any damage? OK, I guess y’all won’t need or buy the flush tail lights. I’ll bet there’s a market for them though...

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Better catch the edge of the tail light than make it past without any damage? OK, I guess y’all won’t need or buy the flush tail lights. I’ll bet there’s a market for them though...
First it’s flush mount taillights. Then you’ll want fleet side fenders. Before you know it you’ll be driving a Colorado. Surface mount tail lights is a characteristic of Jeep just as the 7 slot grille is.

OP
OP
Renegade

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
First it’s flush mount taillights. Then you’ll want fleet side fenders. Before you know it you’ll be driving a Colorado. Surface mount tail lights is a characteristic of Jeep just as the 7 slot grille is.
Do we have a “bird” emoji available for use on this forum? Apparently we can have any aftermarket accessories we want for Jeeps except for flush tail lights. So helpful...

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Subaru Legacy, 2012 Mercedes Sprinter
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I personally don't mind the lights but i have been waiting for aftermarket cages to protect them but have yet to see any. I think they would break in cages if they are hit hard enough. Might even dent the fender but i would not mind the extra protection for those little scrapes on trees or little taps.

Sponsored

AJ-MJ

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Grand Cherokee and 1954 Willys
Occupation
Retired
I bet the next time you go through that section of the trail you are way more careful!
I'm just saying!! ;)

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
How is this dealt with on every vehicle except for Jeep JL/JT?
Typically sensors in the mirrors (which are frequently removed on a Jeep) and corner sensors in the bumper (which are frequently removed on a Jeep). This is a pretty unique case and this is the best way to retain the system while still allowing people to mod their Jeeps as intended.

Cape taco12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Sadly long wheelbase trucks with big quarter panels is the problem. On my last truck I went through several taillights and caved in my quarter panel a couple times before I just build some outrageous tail light and sheet metal protection. Tight corners, trees and a large overhang/pivot point don’t do well.

I would like to see an aftermarket rear bumper with a wraparound and a small hoop that covers at least the bottom of the taillight.

The last bumper I built for my old truck. If you look close you can see the sheet metal is still bent and the rust from where the paint had crack previously before the kick up was installed. (under the T.) To get the dent out I had to cut the sheet metal and hammer it back the best I could.
Jeep Gladiator Flush Mount Tail Lights E01F58CE-F08F-4C10-80F0-32041B587871

Jeep Gladiator Flush Mount Tail Lights 05E5F1EA-D6BC-4AAC-9A2C-F5745AACF472

Flush tail lights will prevent some damage but Im more worried about the sheet metal.

OP
OP
Renegade

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Sadly long wheelbase trucks with big quarter panels is the problem. On my last truck I went through several taillights and caved in my quarter panel a couple times before I just build some outrageous tail light and sheet metal protection. Tight corners, trees and a large overhang/pivot point don’t do well.

I would like to see an aftermarket rear bumper with a wraparound and a small hoop that covers at least the bottom of the taillight.

The last bumper I built for my old truck. If you look close you can see the sheet metal is still bent and the rust from where the paint had crack previously before the kick up was installed. (under the T.) To get the dent out I had to cut the sheet metal and hammer it back the best I could.

Flush tail lights will prevent some damage but Im more worried about the sheet metal.
Custom wrap-around bumpers are on my list. The problem is, I’ve lost all my Jeep sponsors, and my list isn’t funded...

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit

I'm looking at this rear bumper from Fab Fours: https://fabfours.com/product/jeep-gladiator-rear-bumper/
JT20-Y1950_v5_web.jpg

It may not have prevented the damage the OP experienced, but it looks like it should provide decent protection for the quarter panel sheet metal.

Sponsored

CarajoCoño

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Occupation
Military
It would be cool if the had some kind of bolt on protection to add to the Mopar bumper... But back to the OP .. anybody find a company making anything flush mount? I had for my jk and really liked the look of nothing else. The housing they were in was steel so it added some protection for the rear quarter too (not that I needed it for my level of wheeling)

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I personally don't mind the lights but i have been waiting for aftermarket cages to protect them but have yet to see any. I think they would break in cages if they are hit hard enough. Might even dent the fender but i would not mind the extra protection for those little scrapes on trees or little taps.
I got a guy fabing some for mine. I'm dropping my tailights off this week so he can build a cage for them. Going to be between $200-$300 but worth it. He does great work

TooChill4

First Name
Teo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator JT
Vehicle Showcase
I got a guy fabing some for mine. I'm dropping my tailights off this week so he can build a cage for them. Going to be between $200-$300 but worth it. He does great work
JeeperJamie,
Did your guy finish fabing the tailights? Post pics!!
Curious to see how they came out.
- op

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
How are you mounting a taillight cage that will take any sort of impact? Genuinely curious because the mounting is push retainers and a couple 6mm (if not 5mm) bolts on the inside.

I think the only way to get real protection will be to have the bars come up off the bumper which is likely the route I'll be looking into.
Sponsored