Sponsored

For those that have the bad steering box...let's talk.

Stonesolo

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator sport S
Occupation
Printer
I have the bad box but my jeep drives ok with it. It's probably not nearly as bad as some with maybe about 1/2" dead spot. I do find myself correcting slightly tho. Any here that don't really have complaints with it and will you just keep the old box or at some point before the warranty is up get it replaced? I'm probably one of the few that don't have big issues with it but when I take it in for my 3000 mile oil change I most likely will address it with the dealer and I'll be honest about it. The last thing I want is for them to mess it up worse.."if it ain't broke don't fix it". But at some point before the warranty is up, unless it starts getting worse i'll probably want it replaced. Are you fellow jeepers going to keep the box if you show no signs of problems?
Sponsored

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
Mine wanders around like a midieval gypsy. Dealer has had a new box on order since Sept 9. Who knows when it will get here........?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stonesolo

Stonesolo

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator sport S
Occupation
Printer

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Mine's not bad at all. I didn't even realize it was a problem until reading about it here on the forum, and I now understand that it should steer more precisely. I would describe mine as not the tightest steering I've ever had, but it's not the loosest either. My first car, a 63 Buick Riviera, made my Gladiator's steering feel like a Porsche Boxter by comparison. I'm content to wait until either the fix is more available and established, or until it gets much worse than it is.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Stonesolo

Stonesolo

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator sport S
Occupation
Printer
I’m just going to do it myself. My last couple dealer stops have been less than confidence inspiring. Kinda sad when I hear trained mechanics tell me blatantly wrong information.
Exactly what i'm afraid of.

MVP89

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Luckily I haven't had any issues with my steering. I have a stock suspension Overland with 12K miles and no problems with both the stock HT tires and with my XD wheels with Nitto Ridge grapplers that are almost same size (little wider than stock tires). They are also the Non LT Ridge Grapplers so the weight is also close to stock. So, I have no plans to replace the steering box unless things change.

Dwosgood

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2000 TJ
I took mine in and acted dumb about the TSB. I told them it kind of wanders, pulls to the right slightly at highway speeds, and has what I would consider to be “excessive play” when hitting a bump. Their answer was to replace the steering stabilizer and “re-adjust” the steering gear. They told me that if it still gives me issues then I can bring it in and have it looked at for a TSB.

The problems are still there, they are pretty insignificant (probably because I’ve been driving Jeeps for 15 years) but it’d be nice if my $45k JT would track straight down the road.

OP
OP
Stonesolo

Stonesolo

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator sport S
Occupation
Printer
I took mine in and acted dumb about the TSB. I told them it kind of wanders, pulls to the right slightly at highway speeds, and has what I would consider to be “excessive play” when hitting a bump. Their answer was to replace the steering stabilizer and “re-adjust” the steering gear. They told me that if it still gives me issues then I can bring it in and have it looked at for a TSB.

The problems are still there, they are pretty insignificant (probably because I’ve been driving Jeeps for 15 years) but it’d be nice if my $45k JT would track straight down the road.
Sounds like they knew but are looking to not do it.

Sponsored

Jt2187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2017 Triumph Scrambler
Actually have an appointment today with the dealer for my first oil change and I plan to mention the TSB. My situation sounds similar to the OP...steering wanders a bit but hardly unsafe. I'd just like to get the steering box replaced to avoid having the aluminum one go bad down the line/out of warranty.

Moe_Fugga

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I’m in the same boat. I noticed less than stellar steering when I first purchased, but since a lift and 12.5 wide 35s it is a little tighter. More resistance I suppose. There is a little bit of a dead spot, but I’m not sure I want to get it “fixed”. I read about folks having issues with low power steering fluid afterward and having to bleed the line, add more, etc. I’m not really interested in that headache.

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
im still just kind of sitting on it. Mine wanders some, and at my first test drive when i bought it , it felt bad because I was used to the colorado zr2 i traded in. Now that I am used to the jeep, it honestly doesnt feel too bad. Not as bad as some describe.
I want to get mine done, but I also dont want to go through the dealership hassle. So for now i am just letting it ride until all the guinea pigs get done, or it becomes a recall.

Also I am waiting to see if someone mentions an East TN shop that is worth a dang to have it done at.

Dwosgood

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2000 TJ
Sounds like they knew but are looking to not do it.
My thoughts exactly. I played dumb about the TSB the whole time, but I’m going to bring it back to them or maybe try another dealer to ask for a “second opinion”.

Oh, they also noted that the issue could be due to my “oversized tires”... I’m running Kenda 35x10.50s which measure at a hair over 34” :headbang:

Puch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Electronics technician
I have the bad box but my jeep drives ok with it. It's probably not nearly as bad as some with maybe about 1/2" dead spot. I do find myself correcting slightly tho. Any here that don't really have complaints with it and will you just keep the old box or at some point before the warranty is up get it replaced? I'm probably one of the few that don't have big issues with it but when I take it in for my 3000 mile oil change I most likely will address it with the dealer and I'll be honest about it. The last thing I want is for them to mess it up worse.."if it ain't broke don't fix it". But at some point before the warranty is up, unless it starts getting worse i'll probably want it replaced. Are you fellow jeepers going to keep the box if you show no signs of problems?
I’m a first time Jeep owner. Purchased back in September. I haven’t noticed anything that cases me real concern yet. I definitely think it wonders a little, but I don’t feel it’s unsafe...yet. I plan on talking to the dealer when I bring it in for the first service.
My wife drove it for the first time this past weekend and said the steering felt like her dads old Cadillac! LOL guess that says a lot? You would understand that comparison if you ever drove a big old boat of a car, pre 1980.
Sponsored

Last edited: