Sponsored

Ford Maverick is Popular

Guns_N_Rosaries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys Edition
Truck community likes to kick the Honda Ridgeline but they are pretty nice for what they are.

I bought a early 2021 Honda Ridgeline as a third vehicle for the household. When the used car market exploded in mid to late 2021, me and the wife decided to sell one of our vehicles and go back down to two. Wife without hesitation wanted the Ridgeline to stay over her Colorado ZR1 which got sold off.

Ford Maverick though is an interest proposition in terms of price and fuel economy with the Hybrid version and not one I would overlook for a daily driver commuter.

I agree about the Ridgeline. I was actually wanting to buy one of those, but they were impossible to find in the color and trim I wanted. Everything kept getting sent to the dealers at the highest trims, and I only wanted a mid-trim level. I started branching out to more options since I couldn't get one, and eventually found my Gladiator that I love. It wasn't even on my radar when I initially was looking for a mid-size truck. The gladiator actually ended up being better for what I needed it for with a little higher towing capacity, and the ability to work better in off-road conditions. We have a farm that has no roads, just cattle trails and dirt paths, and any rain makes it a nightmare to get around in.
Sponsored

JTsGarage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I'm not convinced the Maverick will be a huge hit for Ford (or consumers) after the initial sheen wears off. To make up for the low starting price, Ford will either need to sell these in some serious volume or push buyers toward higher-optioned trims - making them less of a value. I would guess the average transaction price will be closer to $32k.

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
Has Ford ran out of new names for new vehicles? What's next, the all exclusive Pinto Super Duty, one trim above the Platinum? Maveric is a car name, but Ford and other manufacturers are not producing many "cars" anymore.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
But would jeep sell it at $20K ?
They don't have to if it's nicer and more capable. The base no option is 20k, the Lariat lux package is $35k+. The Maverick is FWD only, the Renegade has various AWD options and the Trailhawk even has a low gear crawl.

FitfulGoat

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Operations Leadership
They don't have to if it's nicer and more capable. The base no option is 20k, the Lariat lux package is $35k+. The Maverick is FWD only, the Renegade has various AWD options and the Trailhawk even has a low gear crawl.
The Maverick comes in an AWD option as well.

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Ok, didnt see it listed, but still... it doesn't have to list at 20k for the stripped out model, most Mavericks are going to have a transaction price that is higher.
Also, the stripped out XL model is truly a stripped model. Does not have cruise control and no ability to get it even option. It will appeal more to fleet sales parts store runner or pesticide company type work trucks than actual personal consumer buyers.

I would speculate most sales will be in the XLT trim that starts in the $26K range and goes up. So far, the few I have seen on dealers lots have been XLT and Lariats in AWD in the $36K range loaded out.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
But again there it goes into AWD, Low Gear Crawl, etc. There is the market out there that has no need for all of that. They just want an affordable truck that doesn't break the bank. Say a first truck for a teenager or commuter truck that just need good gas mileage and a bed without all the frills. PawPaw looking for small truck to get around in. The car dealers are of course going to push every frill they can. When I bought my Ram 1500 I almost had to tell the guy he was starting to become a pain in the butt constantly trying to push into a higher model. I was like I have no use for any of that stuff if its going to cost me a fortune. He irked me so much I ended up leaving and going buy a slightly used fleet truck for a fraction of the price. When I got my JT part of me is still sorry I did not just go with a no power window, etc model. After driving my truck for 2 years I pretty much don't use anything in it other than the radio (I use the windows but could easily roll them up and down manually).

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
The Maverick is a CAR, Ford - are you paying attention?

1643136377224.png
Has Ford ran out of new names for new vehicles? What's next, the all exclusive Pinto Super Duty, one trim above the Platinum? Maveric is a car name, but Ford and other manufacturers are not producing many "cars" anymore.
Having brought the Ranger name back in the fold, I initially thought Ford might call it the Courier or something like Scout along the Ranger line. So I had to look up the reasoning why Ford chose the Maverick.

Maverick means “an independent individual who does not go along with a group or party”.

Ford Maverick marketing manager, Trevor Scott, "We know that there are a lot of customers who are saying that they associate Maverick with the 1970s sedan, but the reality is that we’re talking about 25 to 35-year-olds that we’re targeting with this vehicle, and they don’t recognize the Maverick name at all. They see Maverick as a really bold, creative name that reflects the character of the truck."

Article here.

The-Ford-Maverick-1-1024x552.jpg

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
the reality is that we’re talking about 25 to 35-year-olds that we’re targeting with this vehicle, and they don’t recognize the Maverick name at all. They see Maverick as a really bold, creative name that reflects the character of the truck."

Article here.

The-Ford-Maverick-1-1024x552.jpg
32 here. I remember original maverick. My grandfather had one when I was little. He always talked about his "Cleveland" motor. It was old my whole life, but still around

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
And then if my father were alive, he'd say - no THIS is Maverick............ (Bret Maverick, to be specific)

Jeep Gladiator Ford Maverick is Popular 1643229500255
Sponsored