Sponsored

Fridge in the bed or the cab ?

Biggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
So I have an 50L Iceco fridge on the way and I'm trying to decide where I want to put it. I dont have rear passenger's so one option is to remove the rear seats, build a platform and mount it up there. The other option is on a slide in the bed. I like the security of having it in the cab plus it would stay out of the elements , however I feel it might be more convenient mounted in the bed. I see most mount in the bed but haven't seen any mounted in the cab. Any insight would be great. Thanks
Sponsored

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
You’ll save a lot of energy by keeping it in the cab. Better insulation there.

Fpolanco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I went with the fridge in the bed. I actually have the Iceco dual zone and the Ironman 4x4 fridge slide.

We should still have enough room for all of our stuff.

AB86FD20-68E8-4F36-8BB4-D09CF96BD83C.jpeg

Glad Jeeper

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
My Iceco 50L is in the cab. I just got back from a Overland long weekend. I will post a picture of how I have it set later tonight or tomorrow. I like it inside so I can use the 110v plug in the back passenger area and I also have enough room for my new Jackery 1000 the floor board to keep the fridge it charged at night, worked awesome all weekend long.

Sponsored

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
If you put it in bed do you have a cap or bed cover, might not fit under a cover, search rear seat delete, lot of guys do it and put their fridge strapped in rear. Goose gear make a rear seat delete which gives you a ready made platform not cheap but nice( there was one for sale on marketplace on forum). I have a cap and gavevtt for edge wires run to bed where I think it is better access and I need rear seats, no fridge yet……Jack

flipboltz

First Name
Nikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR
I went with the cab for more room in the bed. I have the Goose Gear 40% seat delete and 50L National Luna fridge/freezer combo. it is a perfect fit behind the driver's seat. I have a 12 volt plug going back to the house battery in the Alu-Cab.

Jeep Gladiator Fridge in the bed or the cab ? IMG_6046

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't the fridge put out heat as it cools?
It does generate some heat. It depends on the environment. If you're traveling more, it's usually better in the cab. If you spend more time idle, like camping, it's probably better in the back.

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
Doesn't the fridge put out heat as it cools?
It does but a fridge that size shouldn’t put out a huge amount of heat. At least not compared to the ambient summer heat if it’s in the bed.

Edit: I didn’t even think about using it while at a campsite like Mr. Bill mentioned. If the truck is off and sitting, I’d put it in the bed as well. Or in the cab with the windows cracked.

OP
OP
Biggy

Biggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
If you put it in bed do you have a cap or bed cover, might not fit under a cover, search rear seat delete, lot of guys do it and put their fridge strapped in rear. Goose gear make a rear seat delete which gives you a ready made platform not cheap but nice( there was one for sale on marketplace on forum). I have a cap and gavevtt for edge wires run to bed where I think it is better access and I need rear seats, no fridge yet……Jack
I have a rack with an rtt but no bed cover. That's one reason I'm leaning towards the cab to keep it out of the elements.

Sponsored

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Good idea keeping it out of elements, I sent you a messsge where that goose gear rear seat delete is posted, has pictures so you can really see what it is…..Jack

OP
OP
Biggy

Biggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
I went with the cab for more room in the bed. I have the Goose Gear 40% seat delete and 50L National Luna fridge/freezer combo. it is a perfect fit behind the driver's seat. I have a 12 volt plug going back to the house battery in the Alu-Cab.

Jeep Gladiator Fridge in the bed or the cab ? IMG_6046
Thanks for the pic, it looks like a perfect fit. I believe the jppro50 I have on the way is 29" long. It looks to be a similar size.

OP
OP
Biggy

Biggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
My Iceco 50L is in the cab. I just got back from a Overland long weekend. I will post a picture of how I have it set later tonight or tomorrow. I like it inside so I can use the 110v plug in the back passenger area and I also have enough room for my new Jackery 1000 the floor board to keep the fridge it charged at night, worked awesome all weekend long.
Pics would be great !

Glad Jeeper

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Sorry for the delay. Here is how I have my fridge setup in my cab. I do not have the underseat storage so I had to use some heavy styrofoam to make it level and strapped it down. There are some great points to attach the straps to. The Jackery is on the floor. I plug the fridge into the jeep 115V outlet in back passenger compartment as we are driving. At night I use the Jackery to keep the fridge powered up. Worked great for 4 days. Ran Jackery down to 10% remaining power very happy. Did not hear any compressor running and no heating occured.
Jeep Gladiator Fridge in the bed or the cab ? IMG_1868

ParatusExpeditions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
If that were me, I'd put it in the bed, but it depends on many factors. So here are some considerations I'd think about:
  • Is the brand of fridge you have rugged enough to be out to the element at all? Depending on this, you may want to put it inside or buy their cover if they have any.
  • Inside protects from the element but doesn't guarantee energy saving
    • It'll emit heat as part of the heat exchange, so in turn, if you live in a hot area, the AC will have to compensate
    • If you go camping in a cold place, I'd argue that better energy usage would be outside of the car (that's how I chose where I put my coolbox)
  • What are the other things that you want inside? Just think of priorities; 50L indeed takes a lot of space
  • Do you or your passenger ever want to recline your seat for a quick nap or something? Having it inside makes it a no-no.
  • Animals, do you camp where bears & alike wander around? It may sound stupid, but I'm dumping everything I can think of.
  • Wiring, any outlet in the bed? Where's the power source?

I know it's not a "put it there" answer, but I hope this helps you make a decision that fits you best.
Sponsored