Sponsored

Front Bumper Auxiliary Lighting

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Okay,

I'm old and old school. When I get my Rock Hard front bumper I am leaning toward KC Daylighter 6" round LED driving lights.

I know there are cubed pods and light bars, but are they any better? Are they more concentrated in area lit than the old school rounds?

Most of my driving is done early morning (4:30 A.M.) and yes we get drizzly, foggy, rainy, snowy, dark mornings around here. I know, not supposed to use auxiliary on-road, but would rather be safe than sorry when it's very few people on the road.

Talk to me people.
Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I got these for free from a company. They got about a half mile of throw. I like rounds ones as well. The ones on the windshield are Hella's

PXL_20201219_123525410.jpg

OP
OP

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
What bumper is that Jamie?

I was wondering if I could invert the lights on the tabs so they are under the over rider bar, but it looks like there's no room.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
What bumper is that Jamie?

I was wondering if I could invert the lights on the tabs so they are under the over rider bar, but it looks like there's no room.
Rugged Ridge HD full width bumper.

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
For reference this is the lights lit up
Okay, your winch sits on top, mine will be recessed.

Still may not be enough room to invert the lights though.
I took some pictures with one of the extra lights I got laying around. Not sure how your bumpers made but if I didn't have the winch on top I could invert the lights no problem. Mine lights are 5 inch lights so a 6 may still be possible.

PXL_20210116_231157984.jpg

PXL_20210116_231120130.jpg

PXL_20210116_231113983.jpg

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Some of these light bars are bright. I run a light bar and two square pods with amber lenses on my motorbike. i have them rigged to a canbus controller on my high beam switch. Low beam: lightbar fog pattern at 20%. High beam= lightbar and spot pods at 100%. its awesome.

there are other companies that do this. I think baja designs has something like that in some of their lights. ClearWater lights also has great controllers. A set of Clearwater Dixi’s would be great.

basically, you can spend a ton on lighting, and you usually get what you pay for. Stedi is an australian company, that if youre willing to spend $200 on shipping and several hundred on the lights, i think they make the beightest commercially available that i am aware of. Their larger dual row light bars require two separate power relays for each side of the light bar. Their Pro X driving rounds have visibility beyond a kilometer. Arb intensity v2 lights are also very good. the arb Solis has a dimmer control. Heretic Studio makes the lights on my bike and Im very happy with them. I was extremely happy with Clearwater on my last bike

Sounds like youll also want amber or yellow lense. Just because one brand claims a certain lumen for advertising doesnt mean they really meet that rating. Cheap lights are also less likely to be weather sealed or have good reflectors.

Jeep Gladiator Front Bumper Auxiliary Lighting 740F0442-F118-4497-81AC-D813455C44F6
Jeep Gladiator Front Bumper Auxiliary Lighting 2B09E68F-E3BF-469A-B7E7-0653FA409B83
Jeep Gladiator Front Bumper Auxiliary Lighting CBB9C3C2-241E-479E-B268-2E05111FCBA0

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I'm looking at rounds too, most likely the Baja Designs LP6 amber combo for bumper and spots for near windshield. My headlights have a good amount of light output, but want the ambers for inclement weather.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I won an auction on epay and got what might be some very kick ass vintage fog lamps for my front bumper. No idea if working. Cost more to ship than to buy and shipping was 15 bucks. This is either going to be totally killer or totally not. But I'm into the amber thing. Need to find out if an led thing through an old piece of yellow glass will carry or how to blast a ton of light through a vintage glass.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
For reference this is how mine look lit up. Did a shot of how it looks with nothing on but the DRL lights which is my turn signals. Then one of the Hella's on the windshield, one of just the cannons on the bumper and then one with the Hella's and the cannons. For reference also the railroad tracks are exactly .35 miles away from where I'm sitting based on my Garmin forerunner 645 running watch. This is a road I run on why I'm at work.

Nothing on but DRLs

Jeep Gladiator Front Bumper Auxiliary Lighting PXL_20210117_064410053

Hella's on the Windshield
PXL_20210117_064218113.NIGHT.jpg

Cannon's on the Bumper
PXL_20210117_064146300.NIGHT.jpg

Cannon's and Hella's
PXL_20210117_064246284.NIGHT.jpg

A setup like this cost around $170 if you buy everything. Only thing I paid for was the Hella's which ran me around $67 for the lights, $15 for the light mounts on the windshield and $18 for the Hella wiring harness. The cannons are $70 shipped from Loyo if you buy them with Wiring harness or that was the price they quoted me if I wanted to buy some, even cheaper if you can get up a group buy and buy a larger quantity.

Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Those big most cannons are Nice. Thanks for the deets!

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
I like the round KC lights. I'm all for more light late at night, almost hit a bear on two separate occasions last year.

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I've used numerous Rigid Industries light bars and have always been very happy with them. I decided to go sorta round with the Gladiator. The reach and pattern of the combo I chose is every bit as good as (if not better than) the Rigid light bars I've had on my other Jeeps and trucks. The 200-degree spread of the BD LP6 Pros has proven to be VERY useful. The setup is perfect for rock crawling or deserted deer-infested pavement, which is where they get the most use. It's not an inexpensive way to go though...about $1700.

Baja Designs LP6 Pro Driving/Combo paired with BD XL-R Racer Edition spots:

Jeep Gladiator Front Bumper Auxiliary Lighting Spots

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I have a pair of LP6 up front and while they're great, they're 100% off-road only for me. If you would like to use them on-road, I suggest the LED KC Daylighter SAE pattern which are road-legal in most places as a driving (high beam) light. However, in shitty weather, low-mounted fogs are going to be king and KC/Rigid/Baja Designs all make good fog kits... just know BD has issues with their plug-n-play kit and they might need to ship you a relay harness (which they do for free) if you get flickering. I ended up wiring mine through my Switch Pros instead.

If you prefer a bar (which will have better light) then Rigid makes some SAE lights as well up to I believe a 30".