Future of the Gladiator

JT_Todd

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Wait until the Bronco hits the market. Then we may see some changes in the Gladiator trims and possibly another model. There really is a lot of interest in a 2 door Gladiator.
Sponsored

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Wait until the Bronco hits the market. Then we may see some changes in the Gladiator trims and possibly another model. There really is a lot of interest in a 2 door Gladiator.
Im not sure what to expect from the Bronco. The spy shots show a really tiny bed, its probably IFS too.
Removable top and doors are likely though.

imagine it with the 5.0 though.

Wayne

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Initial Launch Jeep Gladiator
It will all depend on sales. They have no problem competing with Dodge if the sales justify it. Competition is good. Myself, I'd like to see a full size version with a V-8. The reason I bought the Gladiator is simply because it's a true 4X4, not a all-wheel-drive pickup and there aren't any real mid-size true 4X4's left anymore (at least stock from the factory). Consequently, when I go into the field (I'm a geologist), I can carry all my gear more conveniently. And of course it's a Jeep (that speaks for itself).

I'm researching a bed-rack to load, gas/water cans, shovels, picks, jack and misc. equipment and supplies as well as a tent for the top of the rack. Not done any after market additions yet (mines a launch edition) and it's pretty cool just the way it is. I purchased the 150,000 mile warranty package and I don't want to screw that up. I did get the Warn Zeon 8 winch and it fits nice and neat behind the steel factory bumper. That's all I'll do for the time being until I get the bed rack.

Long story short, If I have a choice in the future for a full size Jeep pickup, that's the way I would go. But I doubt they will get into the full size pickup market.

My 2 cents,

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Im not sure what to expect from the Bronco. The spy shots show a really tiny bed, its probably IFS too.
Removable top and doors are likely though.

imagine it with the 5.0 though.
All the spy photos make me think the new Bronco is competing for Honda Ridgeline demographic than the Gladiator.

Ichthus

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gobi JTR, 20 Bikini Willys JLU, 18 GC Overland
Occupation
Pilot
All the spy photos make me think the new Bronco is competing for Honda Ridgeline demographic than the Gladiator.
What spy photos are you talking about? The Ranger test mules? Indications say the Bronco will come in 2 and 4 door models, have hard and soft removable tops, removable doors, will be body-on-frame, AND have the same front and rear differentials as the Wrangler (though with an IFS). Ford has also indicated that they are considering a Bronco-based pickup to slot between the Ranger and F150. I mean, aside from a lack of manual transmission, I’m not seeing Ridgeline demographic...

A7668B13-D393-40F2-8F82-96592C6E77CF.jpeg

Sponsored

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
We own a 2018 Rubicon JL Two door and love it. I understand what you're saying but why show the J6? Why even go to the trouble of developing it?
They do it every year at Easter Jeep Safari. There are tons of cool vehicles they've built and shown there that were never produced. A lot of them are there to show mopar parts that you can buy, and some are just pure styling exercises.

Patsmith

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan NV- Thinking about a JL
I think it is to early in the vehicle life cycle to see anything more than BNG. 2019 vehicle sales so far this year are barely keeping pace with 2018 so I won’t expect any changes that require a large financial investment.

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
2020 sales will be bloated due to the 20mo year model. On purpose.

Rickv100De

First Name
1967 Land Rover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover
FCA has historical data from 1985-1991 when the Jeep Comanche was competition to the Dodge Dakota. Chrysler at the time killed the Comanche to stop it from stealing Dakota sales.

Rick

Ichthus

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gobi JTR, 20 Bikini Willys JLU, 18 GC Overland
Occupation
Pilot
I expect they’ll bring on the 2021’s by next summer. First model year may go longer than 12 months, but it won’t be anything too crazy.

Regarding the J6...I hope they produce it. Desperately hope so. I expect they’d see significantly more sales than many fear. Development costs would be minimal: JLU frame, JT rear suspension, 6’ bed and a half cab roof. Fuel economy would likely be an improvement over the 4 door, benefitting CAFE.

Last time I saw numbers, the 2 door accounted for about 1/3 of JK sales...which means that towards the END of production, the 2 door JK may have outsold most years of TJ sales. Profit margins on trucks and SUV’s are significantly higher than for cars, so if a 2 door Gladiator even sold 1/5 of the proposed 100k 4 door sales in a year, the business case is there...and it would take about 18 months to outsell 6 YEARS of Scrambler production. Niche products are often justified, not by profits, but by the attention they draw to a showroom. The J6 would do both. Quite frankly, the hardcore off-roading crowd alone could create more sales than all US sales of the entire Fiat brand.

Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
It's just a matter of time for the Brute fabricators to switch over to modifying the Galdiator to a longer bed, extended cab pickup like the J6.

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I expect they’ll bring on the 2021’s by next summer. First model year may go longer than 12 months, but it won’t be anything too crazy.

Regarding the J6...I hope they produce it. Desperately hope so. I expect they’d see significantly more sales than many fear. Development costs would be minimal: JLU frame, JT rear suspension, 6’ bed and a half cab roof. Fuel economy would likely be an improvement over the 4 door, benefitting CAFE.

Last time I saw numbers, the 2 door accounted for about 1/3 of JK sales...which means that towards the END of production, the 2 door JK may have outsold most years of TJ sales. Profit margins on trucks and SUV’s are significantly higher than for cars, so if a 2 door Gladiator even sold 1/5 of the proposed 100k 4 door sales in a year, the business case is there...and it would take about 18 months to outsell 6 YEARS of Scrambler production. Niche products are often justified, not by profits, but by the attention they draw to a showroom. The J6 would do both. Quite frankly, the hardcore off-roading crowd alone could create more sales than all US sales of the entire Fiat brand.
part of the problem I guess might be that most of the hardcore offroading crowd that want a truck are going to go toward the gladiator now. I dont know that they would want to dump it just to lose 2 doors and gain some bed size.Time will tell.

edit to clarify, they maybe should have done the 2 door version first. but im sure there is a logical reason why they didnt (frame, towing ability, just overall mass and stopping power when towing)

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
That'd be a seriously long bed. I imagine they'll start with a JL, not a JT.
I'd even settle for a similar conversion kit as the JKUte, but for the JLU, just to have SOMETHING like a J6. My main issue with this kit (other than the bed being tiny) is that there is no full body separation between the "cab" and "bed" to make it look like a normal truck. They just fill in the rear door with a solid panel and it seems awkward

https://gr8tops.com/shop/jeepmodels/jk-wrangler/jeep-wrangler-jkute-truck-conversion-kit

Sallaman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
I think the only changes we'll see to the gladiator in the next several years will be aesthetic packages and the addition of the diesel. The J6 is really cool and will for sure have a following but 2 door truck sales are down and i don't know if they can predict enough sales to make that model a reality. I don't think they will make a full size gladiator because they already have the ram. I can however see them making a smaller 2 door truck like the renegade truck concept to compete with the for courier (or whatever they are going to call it) mini truck
Sponsored