Sponsored

ilovebikes99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Blackout
Occupation
Motorcyclist
So that what you guys just described is artificial demand. It's government funded demand. You're only buying it because it's cheap. And when the government funding stops, our only choice will be an overpriced EV vehicle which has 1/3 of capability of a fossil fuel vehicle. They are disposable vehicles. Once the battery is out, it's heading to the scrap heap. Teslas are being totaled left and right because of batteries
Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was originally hot on the 4xe mainly for its combination of power and efficiency.

But after reading some of the horror stories on the JL forum, I'm happy that I got the pentastar for now. At some point it will be the better choice. 100 more horsepower. 200 more ft-lbs of torque at a lower RPM (equal to and at lower RPM than even the 392). But for now it wreaks of a Version 1.0 effort. I'll give it 5 years.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So that what you guys just described is artificial demand. It's government funded demand. You're only buying it because it's cheap. And when the government funding stops, our only choice will be an overpriced EV vehicle which has 1/3 of capability of a fossil fuel vehicle. They are disposable vehicles. Once the battery is out, it's heading to the scrap heap. Teslas are being totaled left and right because of batteries
You are spot on with your assessment of the market distortions caused by Government.

However, the way the Biden admin is going they are looking to expand the tax incentive beyond the current 200,000 vehicle limit per manufacturer.

So if you can get the tax break at the time of purchase, then its good.

As far as 1/3 the capability of a fossil fuel vehicle, you are making no sense. A hybrid, even a plug in hybrid (PHEV) operates identically to a fossil fuel vehicle. It just has more power and gets better fuel economy.

You don't have to plug in a plug in hybrid to get 75% of the efficiency benefits and all of the power benefits.

Just drive it like a regular vehicle and it will charge the battery every time you lift off the gas or step on the brake pedal.

The beauty of a PHEV is multifold.

1) identical ownership experience as a normal vehicle.
2) much smaller battery than a fully electric battery. (about 20% of the size)
3) lots of power and torque at very low RPM
4) much improved fuel economy in city driving or in all driving if you choose to plug it in.

The downsides are:
1) more cost
2) more complexity
3) more weight

All of these issues can be addressed with drivetrains designed for hybrid use. Toyota has been making hybrids for 15 years. Their hybrids are comparable in cost to normal cars. Because of Toyota's quality standards, the complexity doesn't result in reliability issues.

A 2.0 turbo is a needlessly complex and expensive ICE to pair with a hybrid system. I suspect Jeep used this because they had it and it takes up less space than the pentastar. The pentastar is actually a better combination than the 2.0T to pair with electrics. Siple, with good top end power but gutless at low rpm.

Ideally there would be a 2.5L 4 cylinder Atkinson cycle normally aspirated engine combined with the electric system. This engine is inexpensive to manufacture, simple, and highly efficient.

Weight will always be an issue until a fundamentally different battery technology is developed.

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Wireless Network engineer, Drummer of WOLF LEGION
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ll stick with my proven gas engine. I didnā€™t buy all these gas cans for nothing.

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Wireless Network engineer, Drummer of WOLF LEGION
Vehicle Showcase
I would sell mine right away if they had a V-8 gladiator

Sponsored

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
They are disposable vehicles. Once the battery is out, it's heading to the scrap heap. Teslas are being totaled left and right because of batteries
Uhhhhhhh. Seriously, where exactly might one find one of these? Pretty sure a new battery is cheaper than a new Tesla.

Ericshere03

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Ecodiesel and 2021 Wrangler 4xe
We have a diesel glad and a 4xe wrangler. I like the 4xe, corse transition to ice?? Not ours. I would think the towing will be in the 6k range. And by then they will have a tow mode. I worked with a guy over the summer who had the ford power boost. And he loved it. The gladiator and the wrangler will have to stay rugged and capable off road OR they will have to have two versions like the broncoā€™s. I just wish it came with the stage 2 charger. The lv 1 takes like 14hrs to charge. The lv2 is 2.5 hrs. Our power bill went up about 20 bucks a month. Our gas bill for her commute went down about 90 bucks a month. She swapped in a cher. Limited v6
She has put on about 5500 miles and the battery generally lasts about 28 miles if you use the max regen.
Me TOO! Wife has the 4xe and I the Gladiator Diesel, 4xe is great running errands on battery only, diesel is great on long highway and towing ... In my opinion BOTH far exceed requirements for the day to day... I am actually surprised how smooth the 4xe is, OCCASIONALLY firing up the gas causes a jerk, but big deal, thing rides on clouds otherwise... My ecodiesel on the otherhand rides like crap, front suspension is compromised from the factory, throwing on a lift..... but thats another thread, or two ;-)

Ericshere03

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would sell mine right away if they had a V-8 gladiator
Ya know, people say that, but after trading my wifes Hemi Grand Cherokee (with MDS), im glad we are out of that thirsty beast. 14mpg city stock and 17-20 on the highway... This is a midsize aerodynamic SUV, A gladiator would be filling the tank every 200miles (like an old TJ).

I had one of those 'rare' 1998 5.9 liter Grand cherokees, older engine and half the amount of gears and seen 25mph highway. I am not a fan of the Hemi, thirsty and low end torque isnt there. Sounds amazing tho.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
As usual this discussion is mired in biased grandstanding

two things I know a ā€œdecent amountā€ about
1) electric energy
2) Jeep projects

you guys can expect that sometime during the ā€˜23 model run, a gladiator that requires plug to drive to be announced and a gladiator that has the option to use a plug to become an option.

we install residential & commercial solar projects all over that net a fixed for 25-30 year cost for electricity @ $0.07-$0.08

75 - 150kWh is going to shake out the common range for EVs depending on size and range. Look at the new F150. 125kWh gets 3-380 miles of range depending on payload, weather and grade

looking back at solar customers that calculates to 0.41 kWh/mile to 0.33 kWh/ mile x $0.08/kWh = $0.02 - $0.03 per mile

Subtract routine maintenance and it might as well be free from my perspective

Ericshere03

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As usual this discussion is mired in biased grandstanding

two things I know a ā€œdecent amountā€ about
1) electric energy
2) Jeep projects

you guys can expect that sometime during the ā€˜23 model run, a gladiator that requires plug to drive to be announced and a gladiator that has the option to use a plug to become an option.

we install residential & commercial solar projects all over that net a fixed for 25-30 year cost for electricity @ $0.07-$0.08

75 - 150kWh is going to shake out the common range for EVs depending on size and range. Look at the new F150. 125kWh gets 3-380 miles of range depending on payload, weather and grade

looking back at solar customers that calculates to 0.41 kWh/mile to 0.33 kWh/ mile x $0.08/kWh = $0.02 - $0.03 per mile

Subtract routine maintenance and it might as well be free from my perspective
You must be in California, Solar is a tough sell here when electricity is 9cents KW/h. My electricity in AZ for my 2 story home 2300sqft is cheaper per month than my 600sqft condo in San Diego! Solar doesn't yet make a whole lota sense for me here.

*disclaimer, in SD i paid electricity, but due to my location, SDGE was kind enough to tack on a "Delivery Fee"...

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm in New England and electricity is $.30/kwh. Its insane.

But even then, do the math. If it doesn't make sense, dont' plug a 4xe in. Just run it like a regular hybrid. Though I suspect it will still save money at even 30 cents per kwh.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
I was originally hot on the 4xe mainly for its combination of power and efficiency.

But after reading some of the horror stories on the JL forum, I'm happy that I got the pentastar for now. At some point it will be the better choice. 100 more horsepower. 200 more ft-lbs of torque at a lower RPM (equal to and at lower RPM than even the 392). But for now it wreaks of a Version 1.0 effort. I'll give it 5 years.
This.

Plus the new Tornado engine looks pretty sweet.

I bet the 4xe will be very different in 2024 anyways.
Sponsored