First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 TJ Rubicon, 2021 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Planner
300 lbs at 4 feet out is the same load on your truck and rack as 1200 lbs at 1 foot.

Can your rack and bed rails handle setting a full size Polaris RZR side by side on them?

Personally, I wouldn't recommend it.

You'd be better off using the 2x4 or 2x6 bed rail pockets. Mount your winch to a board, drop in it, and skid the deer up in the bed on atv ramps or plywood.

That's applying about the same force as you dragging it behind you yourself.

Want to make it even easier? Get a cheap plastic sled, or an actual hunting sled. Easily cut your pull effort way down.

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
Any reason why you cannot quarter the deer to get it into the truck

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Ask your neighbor to borrow their cherry picker then never return it. That's what my neighbors do.
Then i could put giant lawn wheels/tires on it, might work

Any reason why you cannot quarter the deer to get it into the truck
I processed 2 deer 2 years ago by myself and it sucked. some places wont process a deer you quartered, they want it whole.

300 lbs at 4 feet out is the same load on your truck and rack as 1200 lbs at 1 foot.

Can your rack and bed rails handle setting a full size Polaris RZR side by side on them?

Personally, I wouldn't recommend it.

You'd be better off using the 2x4 or 2x6 bed rail pockets. Mount your winch to a board, drop in it, and skid the deer up in the bed on atv ramps or plywood.

That's applying about the same force as you dragging it behind you yourself.

Want to make it even easier? Get a cheap plastic sled, or an actual hunting sled. Easily cut your pull effort way down.
if your math is right, yikes! i'm debating the plywood ramp winch idea vs that hoist thing that Rokon showed.

Anybody think using the Jeep rail system as a winch point is a bad idea?

Sponsored

LaterGator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator
Reminds me of moose hunting.

First time out, I asked where's the best place to shoot a moose. The guide said, "Right next to the forklift."

Personally, I would field dress the deer, hoist it with a block and tackle, and quarter it out in the field. Much easier to handle the smaller parts than a whole deer.

If you have to move the whole deer, instead of hoisting it, use the winch to drag it up a ramp into the jeep. Use a sheet of plywood for a skid.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Using a bridle between the two lower tiedowns at the front sides of the bed would be best.
i don't have access to the front or rear tiedowns with my bed drawers. =(

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i don't have access to the front or rear tiedowns with my bed drawers. =(
actually i think I might have access to the rear hooks, not much but enough.

Sponsored

tanner20

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Hope I don't get busted for this picture...I made this deer dolly to tote behind the fourwheeler so we could roll our harvests up...

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Deer Hoist:  Calling all engineers 20191102_083810

...might be a little steeper angle hooking it up to your JT until you get it to your hanging spot, but the physical lifting to get 'em mobile is the same.

BryantJT

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 TJ Rubicon, 2021 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Planner
Then i could put giant lawn wheels/tires on it, might work

I processed 2 deer 2 years ago by myself and it sucked. some places wont process a deer you quartered, they want it whole.

if your math is right, yikes! i'm debating the plywood ramp winch idea vs that hoist thing that Rokon showed.

Anybody think using the Jeep rail system as a winch point is a bad idea?

Engineer by profession, dork by choice. This is the whole reason you use a breaker bar on your tires not a 3/8" stubby ratchet. The farther from the base of your lift, the "heavier" your lift is.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Deer Hoist:  Calling all engineers 1603986063842

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hope I don't get busted for this picture...I made this deer dolly to tote behind the fourwheeler so we could roll our harvests up...

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Deer Hoist:  Calling all engineers 1603986063842

...might be a little steeper angle hooking it up to your JT until you get it to your hanging spot, but the physical lifting to get 'em mobile is the same.
nice rig! nice buck. is that a 6? that's the largest 6 i have ever seen.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What about this......?

CF4F786D-659C-4B2D-A6C9-D3741FBBBF92.jpeg
i saw that one, i think its only rated for 300 lbs (fine for most deer, but I think over time it would break, somthing rated for 1000lbs could handle 300 lbs all day, maybe that's a dumb non-engineer thought to build it overkill), also it blocks your access to the middle of the tailgate I believe.
Sponsored