Gladiator fuel overflowing.

Ray F.

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubi
Its happened to me nearly every single fill up since buying it in August. From 28 to 89 degrees. Auto release latch engaged at first notch, second notch or not used at all. I’ve even trickled it in as slow as the nozzle valve will allow. It will still spew gas with no warning.

I’ve resorted to estimating how many gallons I need, cutting it off sometime before that and intermittently trickling fuel in with my ear 6” away from the gas port. That works 75% of the time.

No, its not just a little quirk resolved by slowing down. I’ll mention it the next time it’s in for service.
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I've found that the emissions cover on the handle affects how it behaves. If it is worn or not sitting correctly, the auto shutoff doesn't work well. On these, I hold the handle up and push it all the way in, and that seems to help a lot.

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JT Rubi, 2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
Financial Services
Its happened to me nearly every single fill up since buying it in August. From 28 to 89 degrees. Auto release latch engaged at first notch, second notch or not used at all. I’ve even trickled it in as slow as the nozzle valve will allow. It will still spew gas with no warning.

I’ve resorted to estimating how many gallons I need, cutting it off sometime before that and intermittently trickling fuel in with my ear 6” away from the gas port. That works 75% of the time.

No, its not just a little quirk resolved by slowing down. I’ll mention it the next time it’s in for service.
This is such an odd thing. Some people get it intermittently, some get it all the time, some not at all, which leads me to believe there's an issue with the tank itself.

I'm assuming you're not always at the exact same gas station right? If I'm right about the assumption, then there's a real issue there.

I'll also let everyone know when mine goes in for service on the 30th what the resolution is.

Bacon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR-LE
3400 miles and hasn’t happened once. As a long time Jeep owner, this is perplexing to me. I should be losing a cup or more of gas on the fender at each fill up.

highoctane

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
My JT also does this. It pukes gasoline out the fuel filler before the pump auto stop does anything. Also doesnt matter what the temp is or what pump speed notch i have the pump handle in.

Sponsored

RatZer0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JT
Occupation
Manufacturing Stellantis
I've avoided the overspill/burp the last three fillups only by calculating where to ease up on the nozzle and slowly topping up. I then leave the nozzle in the JT for about 10 seconds before removing it.

83 liters or 22 gallons tank size btw.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Ever since I wrote that mine has done it every fill up, it quit doing it. LOL. Same pumps, same fill rate. Who knows.............

Costanzio66

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee wrangler renegade
I just wait until it is almost full, then pull it out and spray it all over the side of the car.

But seriously, over filling is not god for the evap canister.

Leaving it running so the purge valve stays open may help assuming it doesn't throw a code for a lose gas cap in the process.
Yep overfilling my Renegade causes a check engine light to come on because of the evap canister

Wkyfiregladdy

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Mechanic
Has anyone found a resolution to this issue? I have a June 2020 built gladiator bought in august mine is doing it Every fill up

Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Has anyone found a resolution to this issue? I have a June 2020 built gladiator bought in august mine is doing it Every fill up
my issue was a breather hose that was disconnected in the fender well. Dealership found it, reattach, no issues since.

Wkyfiregladdy

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Mechanic
my issue was a breather hose that was disconnected in the fender well. Dealership found it, reattach, no issues since.
Thanks I’ll take a look tonight

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Mine has done it 3 times now. I don’t know how people here keep suggesting you don’t fill it past when it clicks off. As the click is happening it simultaneously rooster tails at least half a cup of gas. This is awful. I love the truck, but between this and the steering I really haven’t been able to enjoy my first 1300 miles.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Mine has done it 3 times now. I don’t know how people here keep suggesting you don’t fill it past when it clicks off. As the click is happening it simultaneously rooster tails at least half a cup of gas. This is awful. I love the truck, but between this and the steering I really haven’t been able to enjoy my first 1300 miles.
At just past 10K miles now I keep waiting for this and have yet do have it happen. I'm not denying that it happens but make me wonder more about what causes it. The fitment of the nozzle into the filler tube, to me, still seems less good than it has on any other vehicle, but I still haven't run into any splash issues.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
I mention it a while back but my dealer said a small hose inside the wheel well was disconnected on mine. Said it was an easy fix, I haven’t had a problem since. I can even fill to a click now and then top off to the nearest whole dollar amount. Prior to getting it fixed it would spray gas way before it clicked, every time.
Sponsored