Sponsored

GMRS users

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Our club transitioned from CB to FRS a few years ago. I personally have a FCC license in case I need to transmit on the GMRS frequencies, but for the most part I stay on FRS channels. There are only a handful of people in our club that have the FCC license, and even fewer with HAM licenses.
FRS and GMRS share frequencies. You should be able to talk to anyone on a FRS with your GMRS.
This is convenient, although I paid for a GMRS lic and use a GMRS handheld I can talk to the guys that bought the bubble wrap Walmart FRS.
Sponsored

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Just looking for everyone's thoughts and experience. I know there are some rogue users out there w/o a license.
It's a stupid fee that prevents nothing when you can buy these radios pretty much anywhere. Same can be said for HAM, but that is perceived as more difficult to do than using a modern walkie-talkie.

I was driving around OR a few weeks ago and I picked up some retail store chatter. They did not ID themselves. <gasp> How did the world not end?!

I also live in the range where I'm not supposed to use certain channels (If I read things correctly) because Canada.

OP
OP
Minty JL

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
It's a stupid fee that prevents nothing when you can buy these radios pretty much anywhere. Same can be said for HAM, but that is perceived as more difficult to do than using a modern walkie-talkie.

I was driving around OR a few weeks ago and I picked up some retail store chatter. They did not ID themselves. <gasp> How did the world not end?!

I also live in the range where I'm not supposed to use certain channels (If I read things correctly) because Canada.
Yeah doesn't prevent nothing, sure. Nothing prevents alot of illegal activities LOL.

I work for the GOVT.......so trying to save $35 is not worth the possible implications of playing fuck fuck with the FCC. Again, I have played with the FCC for work. If saving $35 or $35 is to much to pay to play........maybe one should reevaluate their finances or priorities :headbang:

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Yeah doesn't prevent nothing, sure. Nothing prevents alot of illegal activities LOL.

I work for the GOVT.......so trying to save $35 is not worth the possible implications of playing fuck fuck with the FCC. Again, I have played with the FCC for work. If saving $35 or $35 is to much to pay to play........maybe one should reevaluate their finances or priorities :headbang:
you're lucky you got it at $35. I had the $70 fee.

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Look up @notarubicon on YT. He has several videos concerning this. He did some research on complaints and I think actions taken. I’ll leave it there. I feet tons of folks will watch this thread, but few will comment.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Minty JL

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
OP
OP
Minty JL

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Look up @notarubicon on YT. He has several videos concerning this. He did some research on complaints and I think actions taken. I’ll leave it there. I feet tons of folks will watch this thread, but few will comment.
His videos are hilarious, yet informational

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
you're lucky you got it at $35. I had the $70 fee.
same but 70 bucks for 10 years is still cheap. Most people spend 100 times that on starbucks coffee.

KQL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking for gladiator
I have a license as well, but the whole callsign after a transmission seems like a joke. What’s stopping someone from hearing my transmission and then using my call sign for the next 5 years when they use the more powerful channels?

Sponsored

KQL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking for gladiator
I guess encrypted is the wrong wording, privacy settings more like, Midland sells them pre set... 😂
Just to get on the same page, those aren’t privacy channels. If you’re on 1-12, anyone on channel 1 can hear you. It’s only that you won’t hear them unless they’re sending on 1-12. Just so nobody is thinking their conversation is private just because you’re using one of the “privacy” codes.

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
I have a license as well, but the whole callsign after a transmission seems like a joke. What’s stopping someone from hearing my transmission and then using my call sign for the next 5 years when they use the more powerful channels?
Nothing.

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
You only have to identify your station every 10 minutes of talk or once if you make a single call. Anybody can "steal" your callsign and do what they want with it. You are not liable if anything bad happens from that. I've heard of it happening on amateur radio which you have to study and take a test for. I have never heard of it happening on GMRS. What kind of a low life POS would you have to be to steal someone else's GMRS callsign? That would qualify as radio ghetto.

Panthers65

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Occupation
Account Manager
most clubs in the SE are moving to GMRS from CB as well. I've got one, paid my fee and got my call sign.

There is a GMRS Organization here that runs repeaters all over the state, cool that I can talk to someone 200+ miles away on the radio, definitely more options than the CB stuff. Most the members are Jeep people too.

Other than some large parks I doubt many Jeepers will see the difference in CB and GMRS, it just seems to be the next cool thing so everyone's moving to it. I started with a couple hand helds but I kept forgetting them at home when I'd go ride, so I got a mxt275 instead.

exfil offroad

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator-Willys /18 Wrangler JLU-Rubicon
Just to get on the same page, those aren’t privacy channels. If you’re on 1-12, anyone on channel 1 can hear you. It’s only that you won’t hear them unless they’re sending on 1-12. Just so nobody is thinking their conversation is private just because you’re using one of the “privacy” codes.
Not correct, per Midland "Transmissions that do not have the correct tone are not heard." It's channel and code (142 of them) the code create the privacy. However the point is to have uninterrupted communication. I don't care who hears what I am saying. If someone is using the privacy code (tone) and same chanel in the same 50 miles or so, yes they can communicate and hear. But really when will that happen, and you can always hange channels or codes.
Sponsored