First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Retired
I love the RGT oils and can't help but wonder if they are a little more robust being that the Rotella brand has that reputation. I like the numbers on the PDS for those oils.
I have always liked Shell’s Rotella oils. Very robust add pack and seem to hold up well from past UOAs. Also used Rotella diesel oils in many motorcycles. I have a test kit and may send this run to blackstone for analysis.

Mobil products are also top notch. Have used Mobil one many times in the past.

All the oils today are very good. Warren makes some good products also.

Not much need to argue over brands in today’s world. Use a good oil and filter and change it regularly and your engine will last longer than you will keep the vehicle.
Sponsored

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
I have always liked Shell’s Rotella oils. Very robust add pack and seem to hold up well from past UOAs. Also used Rotella diesel oils in many motorcycles. I have a test kit and may send this run to blackstone for analysis.

Not much need to argue over brands in today’s world. Use a good oil and filter and change it regularly and your engine will last longer than you will keep the vehicle.
Pretty much my thoughts. Rotella 5w-40 was great in my Bonneville.

I ran RTG 5w-30 in my 2019 JLU Wrangler with the 3.6L. Ran great and the engine seemed happy with it. I never noticed any difference between it and 0w-20, except maybe the engine was a little quieter. That may have been placebo effect though.

I would still be using RTG if it was available around here. I've read on BITOG several times that it was being discontinued.

Spur

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Retired
Pretty much my thoughts. Rotella 5w-40 was great in my Bonneville.

I ran RTG 5w-30 in my 2019 JLU Wrangler with the 3.6L. Ran great and the engine seemed happy with it. I never noticed any difference between it and 0w-20, except maybe the engine was a little quieter. That may have been placebo effect though.

I would still be using RTG if it was available around here. I've read on BITOG several times that it was being discontinued.
I have heard that the RTG may be discontinued also. If it is, I will probably use PUP 30w. PUP is on the thin side of the 30w’s. Would have no problem using Mobil as an alternative also. Actually Wally’s supertech blended by warren is fine as are many others.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Seeing as some of you guys seem to have a lot of oil knowledge, does anyone know of a regular oil like Mobil 1 or Penzoil 10W-30 that is NMMA-FC-W certified?

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Seeing as some of you guys seem to have a lot of oil knowledge, does anyone know of a regular oil like Mobil 1 or Penzoil 10W-30 that is NMMA-FC-W certified?
NMMA oils are in a class by themselves and are not going to have automotive compatible equivalent.

Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
NMMA oils are in a class by themselves and are not going to have automotive compatible equivalent.
Thanks, that’s kind of what I figured, guess I will just buy the Mercury oil.

MaysvilleStig

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
United States Marine Corps
I've used AMSOIL for the last 5 years or so on everything I have that needs oil. Their Preferred customer program is only $20 a year and it gives you pretty good discounts on everything. I like having everything I need shipped right to my door.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette

I've got 4k on the RGT in my 3.6 right now. I threw it in there for an overlanding trip we just did to VT, NH, and ME. We drove about 3.5k on that trip with LOTS of off-roading. At 5k I'll swap it and do a UOA. I just ordered some new sample kits from Blackstone. I already know it'll come back in great shape, but it is fun to post up and discuss.

And I still have about 24 quarts of 0w20 left in my stash. I got most of it either for free or $2 a quart when Autozone cleared it out a couple years ago. I've been running it in my daughter's Renegade and 5w20/30 in my 08 JK. I've got one more jug of 5w20 and then the JK gets 0w20 from there on. I do 6k OCI's on that old 3.8. It runs like new with 161k miles on it now. It has had mostly Mobil 1, but has had runs of just about everything else here and there.

Just thinking about what I've got.....there should still be two 6 quart boxes of Havoline Pro-DS 0w20 in my stash, too. I'm probably going to run it in the JK, as well. I've never done a UOA with that stuff, though. But I love how those 6 quart boxes can be stacked and stored! Lol! I picked up 3 of them on sale a couple years ago for about 14 bucks each. Hard to beat that price.

But with all that stash, the Mobil 1 AP/EP has still found its way into my JL most of the time. Can't break the addiction easily.

Spur

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Retired
I've got 4k on the RGT in my 3.6 right now. I threw it in there for an overlanding trip we just did to VT, NH, and ME. We drove about 3.5k on that trip with LOTS of off-roading. At 5k I'll swap it and do a UOA. I just ordered some new sample kits from Blackstone. I already know it'll come back in great shape, but it is fun to post up and discuss.

And I still have about 24 quarts of 0w20 left in my stash. I got most of it either for free or $2 a quart when Autozone cleared it out a couple years ago. I've been running it in my daughter's Renegade and 5w20/30 in my 08 JK. I've got one more jug of 5w20 and then the JK gets 0w20 from there on. I do 6k OCI's on that old 3.8. It runs like new with 161k miles on it now. It has had mostly Mobil 1, but has had runs of just about everything else here and there.

Just thinking about what I've got.....there should still be two 6 quart boxes of Havoline Pro-DS 0w20 in my stash, too. I'm probably going to run it in the JK, as well. I've never done a UOA with that stuff, though. But I love how those 6 quart boxes can be stacked and stored! Lol! I picked up 3 of them on sale a couple years ago for about 14 bucks each. Hard to beat that price.

But with all that stash, the Mobil 1 AP/EP has still found its way into my JL most of the time. Can't break the addiction easily.
You are definitely a “hardcore “ BITOG guy-lol. Sounds great.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element

Sponsored

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
This is a long thread so havent read it through however 540rat.blog the guy does his own SAE 4ball wear tests on a wide range of motor oils including elevated temperature testing. Very interesting and worth a read. Especially concerning stuff like diesel oils and zinc additives.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
This is a long thread so havent read it through however 540rat.blog the guy does his own SAE 4ball wear tests on a wide range of motor oils including elevated temperature testing. Very interesting and worth a read. Especially concerning stuff like diesel oils and zinc additives.
I would think ball bearing wear is different from sliding force wear

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Professional
These engines are not tough on oil and truthfully about any oil that meets the specifications would be fine.

I'm one of those guys that hang out on the BITOG (Bob is the Oil Guy) forum and read a lot about oil. I also send oil samples in for analysis.

At the moment I have M1 EP 0w-20 in my Gladiator. Mostly because I bought it for $25 then got a $15 rebate. Made it too cheap to pass up for a premium oil. I have Quaker State full synthetic on the shelf for it's next oil change. Yea, I'll be sending samples in to see how they do.

For filters I order Mopar filters off Amazon. There is a Jeep dealer there that sells them for a good price in 3 and 6 packs. Since I have two vehicles that take the same filter I keep some on the shelf.
As a new 2020 JTR owner, I haven't gotten to the the oil capacity/specs in my manual yet cause it's getting the TSB done today. From what I gather, takes 5 qts of 0-20W of your choosing, MOPAR filters, and maybe a new crush washer every time right? Happen to have the parts source you mentioned and part#s

Thanks a bunch!

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
These engines are not tough on oil and truthfully about any oil that meets the specifications would be fine.

I'm one of those guys that hang out on the BITOG (Bob is the Oil Guy) forum and read a lot about oil. I also send oil samples in for analysis.

At the moment I have M1 EP 0w-20 in my Gladiator. Mostly because I bought it for $25 then got a $15 rebate. Made it too cheap to pass up for a premium oil. I have Quaker State full synthetic on the shelf for it's next oil change. Yea, I'll be sending samples in to see how they do.

For filters I order Mopar filters off Amazon. There is a Jeep dealer there that sells them for a good price in 3 and 6 packs. Since I have two vehicles that take the same filter I keep some on the shelf.
I have a couple data points that would counter this statement. I have seen this on multiple machines. Mine had 26K. I have switched to a mix of 5W-20 and 5w-30

0225221735.jpg

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
I would think ball bearing wear is different from sliding force wear
Very true. The test that the auto industry developed and is considered the standard for anti-wear performance for engines is the Sequence IV-A test. The bearing pressure test you see on Project Farm and other places has literally nothing to do with what an oil does in an engine. Slick 50 used that test in their 80's or 90's marketing and got nailed by the Feds for making bogus claims.
Sponsored