Sponsored

Hood Rock Deflector...Yay or Nay

Gladiator Brad 704

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
ASV. 4K On my JT Rubicon and headed about 300 miles to the beach for the first real work out. Towing a 4000 lb enclosed trailer. Have always had some kind of hood deflector on all of my trucks and jeeps. First molded ASV. LOVE IT. Kept most of the bugs off. Only a few really big ones made it to the very top of the windshield frame. Drove fast, yes. Tailgating, a little. Will update when I return home. I won't drive without one.
Jeep Gladiator Hood Rock Deflector...Yay or Nay 20200602_165036

20200602_165030.jpg
Sponsored

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux SR5 and Jeep Renegade ... name is on the list for a Gladiator!
Occupation
Computer dude
What brand uses threaded bosses? I just ordered the WeatherTech and I am honestly hesitant to install it as it only uses 3M tape.
3M tape, once properly cured, sticks very well!

NC Gator

First Name
Yaumin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport Gator Green
Occupation
USMC Academics
Vehicle Showcase
Already had to call Safelite…. so I got an AVS today!

Jeep Bug Rock Deflector.jpg

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux SR5 and Jeep Renegade ... name is on the list for a Gladiator!
Occupation
Computer dude
… so I got an AVS today!
I dont really like the bonnet protector on Jeep Wranglers, but that AVS one is pretty slick!

Thanks for the pic! :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lenny351

Lenny351

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Electrician
Is the AVS the better option over the Mopar model? I like them both and having a hard time deciding which one to get

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
I'll tell you one reason I'm a firm no is because on my JKU, when I did finally remove it, the paint was faded as crap and it had huge white swirls all over it. I guess if you never plan on removing it, then it would be fine. I'm not the only one I know who has removed them to find this out. Also the one on the JKU didn't do much for keeping bugs off the windshield or keeping the windshield from getting cracked.
I have an AVS that’s just been sitting for half a year in my workshop waiting for warmer weather.

Now I’m thinking I might install this under the AVS to protect the paint (and just hope the 3M tape adheres to it):

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotchgard-Clear-Protection-84-inches/dp/B004VFYCZE

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
I’m curious how effective these deflectors really are. I’ve noticed that when I spray the windshield washer sitting still I get pretty good coverage pattern to the top of the windshield. Without a deflector that pattern is pushed down the windshield quite a bit at 70.
For those of you with the various brands of hood deflectors, can you see a difference in how well the washer spray covers the windshield at speed?

atxatxatx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WK2Grand Cherokee,Gladiator Mojave
Curious if the Mopar one will fit a Mojave hood ?

OneTraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Cherokee Trailhawk; 20 Gladiator Rubicon
I think it looks ok. I am not sure yet how much protection will it offer against bugs going to my windshield.
Jeep Gladiator Hood Rock Deflector...Yay or Nay Jeep Bug Rock Deflector
That's the one I put on my Gladiator. Anecdotal for sure, but I'm seeing less bugs on the windshield following installation (and that includes Alaskan summer bug season) than before. As for rock chips, it at least shields that front lip. Wasn't sure I wanted to install it, but happy with looks afterward.

Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
This one. There are seven threaded bosses that adhere to the hood with emblem tape. The deflector then bolts to them. It even comes with a template to position the bosses, but use with great care to ensure proper alignment

Newsmarts Car Front Hood Stone Guard Protector Trail Armor For Jeep Wrangler JL/Gladiator 2018-2020 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08217QF1F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tau_Zpu1EbK0R5ZBK

I bought this one, it has taken a few "thwacks" on the interstate so it is doing it's job and it hasn't cracked.

Moved the kamikaze bugs just above my normal sight line.

So I say yes.

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear that.

The statement of mine that you quoted was a response to the OP and in reference to his concerns with “....bugs and such....” and based on my experience. I don’t discount the inadvertent freak occurrences, such as the one you mentioned.

The occasional chip happens. But when you see a vehicle with a significant number of chips and/or microscopic divots in the windshield, I assure you the driver tailgates and/or drives fast. If a vehicle has a nearly vertical grill and windshield, you can expect it to happen even more.

HTH.
Ehhhh, I think tailgating rocks would not get to my windshield, but I am no expert.

Atraer my first window replacement this April, (8/2019 purchase) I was driving 295 Jersey southbound after 4WD store grand opening in June and I saw the rock come straight for my windshield. The truck was 4 cars lengths in front of me. No Nirvana w Jeep Glass. $220 a pop. Always in stock.

Good reminder though.

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
I wonder if there's something like the screen protector used for cell phones but larger and could be put over the windshield. Or a clear, thick window film.
Yes, several manufacturers make a clear paint protective film. Im gonna put it on the front 6 inches of my hood, from the bottom edge up. Doesnt do crap for bug deflection but will help with rock chips on the paint. Gladiators have some on the rear fenders if they are painted, at least mine does.

Digger70

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Altitude
Yes, several manufacturers make a clear paint protective film. Im gonna put it on the front 6 inches of my hood, from the bottom edge up. Doesnt do crap for bug deflection but will help with rock chips on the paint. Gladiators have some on the rear fenders if they are painted, at least mine does.
I know that now. My post was from March 2020.