Sponsored

How hard is it offroading in a manual transmission?

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
No brake required. Feet flat on the floor, push the button. (It's in the owner's manual.)
I just performed this yesterday, but I stand corrected. A message did come up to apply the brake (and to hold the button in,) and it would not crank until I pressed the brake. I swear this is new, and it obviously inhibits both the rolling and starting of the truck if the brake is pressed too firmly. I got it to work by lightly pressing the brake pedal just enough so it would crank (just as Al said.) I really wonder if this changed on one of the software updates I got since buying it.

Hmmm. I just tried it on my new Gladiator. When I tried in 2H and 4H, I immediately received the message push clutch and button to start. I managed to finally get it into 4L I tried it again. It looked like it was going to try to start for a second, but then I received the push clutch and button to start message again. Can someone pount out where it states it in the manual? I’ll keep looking for it all the same.
I've found you have to press and hold the button in until it has started and is rolling. You get one chance and if you fail, you have to push the clutch in on the 2nd try.

Page 195 Starting The Engine
"Four-Wheel Drive Models Only
In 4L mode, if the vehicle is stalled, the engine
will start regardless of whether or not the clutch
pedal is pressed to the floor. This feature
enhances off-road performance by allowing the
vehicle to start when in 4L without having to
press the clutch pedal. The “4WD Low Indicator
Light” will illuminate when the transfer case has
been shifted into this mode."
Sponsored

Last edited:

ADK Tiro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Music Teacher
I just performed this yesterday, but I stand corrected. A message did come up to apply the brake (and to hold the button in,) and it would not crank until I pressed the brake. I swear this is new, and it obviously inhibits both the rolling and starting of the truck if the brake is pressed too firmly. I got it to work by lightly pressing the brake pedal just enough so it would crank (just as Al said.) I really wonder if this changed on one of the software updates I got since buying it.

I've found you have to press and hold the button in until it has started and is rolling. You get one chance and if you fail, you have to push the clutch in on the 2nd try.

Page 195 Starting The Engine
"Four-Wheel Drive Models Only
In 4L mode, if the vehicle is stalled, the engine
will start regardless of whether or not the clutch
pedal is pressed to the floor. This feature
enhances off-road performance by allowing the
vehicle to start when in 4L without having to
press the clutch pedal. The “4WD Low Indicator
Light” will illuminate when the transfer case has
been shifted into this mode."
Thanks! I’ll give it another try tomorrow.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I’m HOPING the MT in the Gladiator will be similar. You really shouldn’t have to worry about the clutch at all when crawling. As for the wife, mine already drives MT, but I’m hoping she won’t like the Gladiator any better than she disliked the FrankenJeep.... I don’t mind being a passenger for my daughter, but the wife makes me nervous in a minivan....
This will get me killed by pros but I love using the starter when in gear to get the thing over the hump. I've even killed the engine on purpose just to have all the control in a key twist. Dead stop. In gear. Waggle that key. Up and over. Hit the clutch, it starts, away you go. "You'll burn up the starter motor" "it wasn't designed for that". Okay doke. See you all up top. :rock::LOL::CWL:
Nahhh, no pro should mock you too much for this. My CJ5 had some kind of problem with the carb so I used the starter motor to move it in and out of the shed in 4 low all the time for like 3 weeks. If the gearing is low enough, and you have a decent starter, it's really no big deal to the starter motor.
And Tacoma touted has this ability called "clutch start cancel," allowing the vehicle to be started without depressing the clutch and also allowing the vehicle to roll ahead on its own by using the starter motor.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
And Tacoma touted has this ability called "clutch start cancel," allowing the vehicle to be started without depressing the clutch and also allowing the vehicle to roll ahead on its own by using the starter motor.
lol

Jeep Gladiator How hard is it offroading in a manual transmission? mouse-trap-1894

Liftr

First Name
Duran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S
Occupation
Aviation
Does anybody have a good explanation of why the tow rating is cut almost in half with the MT? The vehicle has the same motor, brakes and suspension. The clutch is the weak link.

Dodge (Ram) has a clutch capable of 800 ft/lb of torque. Big trucks can handle over 2000 ft/lb.
Why did they put such a weak clutch in the JT?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rex3rd

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
Does anybody have a good explanation of why the tow rating is cut almost in half with the MT? The vehicle has the same motor, brakes and suspension. The clutch is the weak link.

Dodge (Ram) has a clutch capable of 800 ft/lb of torque. Big trucks can handle over 2000 ft/lb.
Because they didn't want to put any money into redoing the tranny and just slapped it in there. Its the same thats in the wrangler

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland

Its not that the clutch is "weak" per se, its just not as able to handle the starting off stresses as well as an automatic time after time after time. Think of it more from the reliability standpoint of building trucks and trying to sell them. I dont want to warranty your clutch because you are towing 7000 lbs with a manual so I will reduce tow rating so you don't burn it out. Also, I don't have to put an expensive clutch in for the few people who want big manual tow ratings. These are just my theories from a manufacturing standpoint. There are always tradeoffs.

HONCHO

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
It is because they have given the 3.6 no low end torque ,you need to rev the hell out of it, to get it going. slipping or stalling . hence the 5 :13 first gear . three years in the JL, no heavier flywheel ..seems like they are wanting to get rid of the manual.

Sparty

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR (Gecko) / 2021 JLR
I bought my TJ in 04 with a MT. I bought it as a Sport and upgraded as I learned more about offroading. I loved having a MT and enjoyed it offroading until I started amateur rock crawling. The only regret I had was not getting a Rubicon with the 4:1 transfer case once I started playing on the rocks.

I know I'm talking apples/oranges when it comes to that bulletproof straight-6 in the old Wranglers. Wonderful low-end torque.

When on the rocks, I took things slow and used granny gear as much as I could. There were times where I needed to end up "lunging" slightly to get over things. A little throttle bump. Drove some of the spotters crazy, but it was always safe and I didn't damage anything.

Still haven't pulled the trigger to update the transfer case to an Atlas or Tera lo - but that would be the solution on the TJ. It would be the finesse that's needed for some of the rock work.

Today's technology on the Wrangler/Gladiator are night/day difference compared to the TJ. With Offroad+, lockers, etc I would say that MT or AT would be fine offroad. If you're going to be a championship level rock crawler, then that's where getting an AT specifically for that might come into play.

RacerX00

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape, 2008 VW GTI
Off-roading is something you do for fun. Do whatever you think you'll have the most fun with.

I wouldn't pay much attention to how comfortable you are with a stick. I went from beaters never driving a stick to my first new car being stick with a hydraulic (aka expensive) clutch. A few thousand miles of stalling and abusing and I still didn't wreck any part of the drive train.

If you're not an avid off-roader now then chances are 95%+ of the driving you really plan to do is on the roads. If you like to row your own gears, I suggest do it, you won't have this chance 10 years from now.

Sponsored

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
I would hesitate to spend Gladiator level money if its your first manual. Get an old miata or something and see if you adapt first. Ive been driving manuals my whole life and like them but if the Gladiator would be used to commute to work then I'd go auto. That said I plan on getting a manual Mojave soon :)

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
Good point. I forget what a weird direction the auto industry is moving to.
In the truck world it seems to me that Jeep is reversing that trend and it’s rubbing off on
other makers. When I bought my Ram in 2014 I couldn’t find a new MT Tacoma west of the Mississippi. Right after I ordered my Gladiator the local Toyota salesman called to tell me they had a couple on the lot and a few more enroute. That said, I think Nissan has dropped the manual on Frontiers altogether.

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
I've had several Mts but I've never went off the pavement with them and have no clue how it will be . I love shifting gears but not knowing how to respond off-road or backing a boat in ect scares me. Any takers want to give me some advice? I's it something that Id have to trial and error out and figure it out on my own or with some mt experience is it pretty simple?
Old thread but thought I would throw this out there. Use a hand throttle. This is what i have on my XJ MT and it makes life a lot easier when you are in those challenging situations in the rocks, etc.. Just mount it on the shifter below the knob and free up your right foot for just the brakes.

Jeep Gladiator How hard is it offroading in a manual transmission? handthrtl

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/528ffa7fead962f416e72f87
Sponsored