Sponsored

How long can I run the 3.73 gearing? 8.5x17 Wheels wrapped with BF Goodrich 39x13.50r17 km3s..

RLOW

First Name
Arlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator willys sport
Occupation
US ARMY
First of all, thanks for the add! How long can I run the 3.73 gearing on 8.5x17 Wheels wrapped with BF Goodrich 39x13.50r17 km3s? I'm ordering the Nitro 5.13s they're currently out of stock until January..
Sponsored

Rvalas

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction Project Manager
First of all, thanks for the add! How long can I run the 3.73 gearing on 8.5x17 Wheels wrapped with BF Goodrich 39x13.50r17 km3s? I'm ordering the Nitro 5.13s they're currently out of stock until January..

No mechanic here but you can run them on the roads and highways for years as long as you arent dogging them. They wont melt or anything. You will however not have 8th or 7th and maybe a little bit of 6th. I would if your going fast watch your tranny temps and engine temps if you are driving long distances, and hang up towing.

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
Why not go for Spicer gears?
Edit: not sure what you mean by "how long" answer is all day but you're trolling....I get it sheesh I'm a little slow I guess.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RLOW

RLOW

First Name
Arlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
US ARMY
No mechanic here but you can run them on the roads and highways for years as long as you arent dogging them. They wont melt or anything. You will however not have 8th or 7th and maybe a little bit of 6th. I would if your going fast watch your tranny temps and engine temps if you are driving long distances, and hang up towing.
I forgot to mention that my gladiator is a 6 speed manual.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RLOW

RLOW

First Name
Arlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
US ARMY
Thanks everyone! I just didn't want to break anything while I'm waiting for my 5.13s.

Panthers65

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Occupation
Account Manager
Thanks everyone! I just didn't want to break anything while I'm waiting for my 5.13s.
Other than burning your clutch sooner, you'll have less of a chance of breaking things since you'll have less torque/power.

As far as what it's going to be like, spend a few days starting your jeep in 2 or 3rd gear instead of first on your factory tires. That's going to be what it's like driving on the 39's with 373s.

Painkillerspe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Maybe he came from Facebook. Someone on there posted a thread saying that anything other than Factory sized tires would blow up your whole drivetrain If you don't regear.

Personally I would run factory as long as you can tolerate it, especially if you have a 21 model and haven't experienced the axel seal leak yet. I run 35s in 3.73 and will regear once I'm closer to my warranty expiring.

39s are going to be a dog on 3.73 though.

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland Diesel
um..for the life of your Jeep. The only one who cares would be you. It is in no way shape or form, bad for your Jeep.

mdyucca

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Maybe he came from Facebook. Someone on there posted a thread saying that anything other than Factory sized tires would blow up your whole drivetrain If you don't regear.

Personally I would run factory as long as you can tolerate it, especially if you have a 21 model and haven't experienced the axel seal leak yet. I run 35s in 3.73 and will regear once I'm closer to my warranty expiring.

39s are going to be a dog on 3.73 though.
With 35's and 373's does your Jeep ever get into 8th at highway speeds? I have 373's and am considering moving up to 35's.

USMC-SSGT

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Aluminum tubing transport
With 35's and 373's does your Jeep ever get into 8th at highway speeds? I have 373's and am considering moving up to 35's.
It’s pretty weak. On the highway on a slight downhill it may shift into 8th at 75mph for a brief second. Any slight hill at all and it’ll drop down to 5th or 6th to get over it. Merging onto the highway with a healthy dose of pedal down it’ll rev around 4-5k rpm’s until you finally let off the gas and allow it to shift.

Smaller roads in the 55mph range with very easy driving you’ll be more likely to see 8th.

I’ll be 100% swapping gears as this isn’t something I want to deal with for any amount of mileage.

mdyucca

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
It’s pretty weak. On the highway on a slight downhill it may shift into 8th at 75mph for a brief second. Any slight hill at all and it’ll drop down to 5th or 6th to get over it. Merging onto the highway with a healthy dose of pedal down it’ll rev around 4-5k rpm’s until you finally let off the gas and allow it to shift.

Smaller roads in the 55mph range with very easy driving you’ll be more likely to see 8th.

I’ll be 100% swapping gears as this isn’t something I want to deal with for any amount of mileage.
Thanks for the insight. I will stick with what I have for now.

Painkillerspe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Mine sees 8th alot. I went with 10.5 inch 35s. I average around 16 mpg. I don't have any problem with power on the highway.
Sponsored