Sponsored

How long do you plan to keep this truck?

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I usually run my trucks about 8-9 years, but having a compnay work truck with personal use allowed my current truck can sit for weeks, I don't expect that with the Mojave, but in hindsight, I still regret trading in my 82 Scrambler after nine years, been having jeep envey since then as I have been driving Chevys. I'm only 63 so I can't say it will be my last Jeep, and who knows what Jeeps will look like in 15 years, lifts might be a button on the dash to gravitate your magnet drive system or something, but if so I'll be sad!......Jack

Mods, very basic mostly to support kayaking , fishing, towing, and driving around waving at people!
Sponsored

gpwrang33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ 2021 Hydro Blue JTSS MAX TOW
So I picked up a 93 Grand Cherokee with 100,000 miles on it in 2000 drove that from NY to California in 2003 to have the radiator go on it in Barstow on my way to Victorville. Got it fixed and traded it in on a 2000 TJ because of the cracked exhaust manifold in the ZJ and California's strict emissions rules. In 2005 I drove the TJ plus 800lbs of moving stuff back to NY then drove down to Florida then back to NY in 06. In 09 my daughter was born and couldn't get a car seat easily in the back of the TJ so I had to get a new car, I still have the TJ to this day. I got a 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS which I loved but had to trade that in for a bigger car. In 2016 I traded it in to lease a 2016 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport which I will never lease again, after 3 years you got nothing to show for it. So after the lease I was forced to get a new car and now my daughter plays hockey and is a goalie so I had to buy a car to fit all her gear in so I bought a 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander, I've had good luck with Mitsubishi so that's why I stuck with them. I've always wanted a mid size truck but never really pulled the trigger and I've always loved the jeeps so its only fitting to buy my first truck and a jeep at the same time. I plan on keeping it for a long time, my order was placed on 9/10 so hopefully I'll get it before Thanksgiving.

IamWardicus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently Driving: Sport S Max Tow Gladiator in Sting-Gray
Occupation
Management in a retail setting
I have a four year lease so a minimum of that. If there’s a v8 I might eat the mileage and trade it in. If there is no v8 my baby is mine until she dies.

JkJT84

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w Max Tow
Occupation
LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely the rest of my life, so i’d say another 250 years or so. With advances in modern science and my high level income, it’s not crazy to think I can live to be 245, maybe 300.

Sponsored

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I honestly expect fully electric versions in 10 years, especially with the climate rules in other countries that are strongly pushing for electrification of vehicles. Once its built for another market, no reason not to build it for here too. I switched all my lawn equipment to electric a couple years ago and have since been convinced of its superiority over ICE. Its much lighter, rips just as hard as gas and is virtually maintenance free. 10yr from now the tech. will only be better.
I ordered a rivian and a cybertruck. When they’re finally on the road I’ll pick one and trade my model Y.

electric is definitely superior but the batteries aren’t where I need them to be to head out into the middle of nowhere

caronaxtr

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT, 02 WJ, 98 TJ
Occupation
Sales/Operations Manager
How Long - Plan to keep this for a long time 10+/- years
Mods - Bumpers, Winch, Alxe Swaps (maybe), Lift, armor,
Lift - 2"-3"
Tires -37"
My company pays for my vehicle, I'm planning to do small mods for now & plan to have it paid off in under 3 years. After that i'll buy another JGC for work & keep the JT as my toy, that's when the build will really begin. I bought an almost loaded Rubicon so it'd already be relatively build out of the box. I'm honestly very pleased with the JT, there are a few things I wish they'd done but all in all I'm happy with what Jeep has done.

Kaiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Max Tow 1969 J3000 Gladiator farm truck. 1969 J2000 Gladiator project.
I keep all my cars forever. I’m a car hoarder and desperately need an intervention. Yea, I need an intervention. And of course one very special, understanding, beautiful, patient wife.
I can relate on both counts, brother...

I'm sure I'll keep this one forever too, can't wait to get ahold of it...

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
I ordered a rivian and a cybertruck. When they’re finally on the road I’ll pick one and trade my model Y.

electric is definitely superior but the batteries aren’t where I need them to be to head out into the middle of nowhere
In 10 years the batteries should be faster charging and longer lasting. Which company will be the first with solar tonneau cover? Wont even need extra fuel when overlanding! Once the market really revs up the tech will improve at a faster rate.

Cybertruck is OK, Rivian is nice but over priced.I want to realize the fuel saving benefit of electric without paying the price premium. I refuse to spend more than 50K on a vehicle (excluding after market upgrades). All tech trickles down. I don't like paying for luxury BS, (excluding leather seats, I really like those.)

Sponsored

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
In 10 years the batteries should be faster charging and longer lasting. Which company will be the first with solar tonneau cover? Wont even need extra fuel when overlanding! Once the market really revs up the tech will improve at a faster rate.

Cybertruck is OK, Rivian is nice but over priced.I want to realize the fuel saving benefit of electric without paying the price premium. I refuse to spend more than 50K on a vehicle (excluding after market upgrades). All tech trickles down. I don't like paying for luxury BS, (excluding leather seats, I really like those.)
a solar tonneau cover would perhaps add 10 miles of range probably less being flat and not tilted.

I’ll be mounting a 400w panel to the roof of my Jeep and that’s at the leading edge of solar efficiency. That panel will charge perhaps 2 100ah hour batteries in a day but likely less.

another way to compare would be to say in 6 hours of direct sunlight that panel will make 2.4kWhs and my model Y uses 330ish Whs per mile so that would drive it about 8 miles

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
Good topic. I'm with the OP. I love how mods look, especially lifted and on 37s or 35s. And they are a beast off road. But I gotta keep telling myself I'm not that guy. I gotta think practically. 1) mods are expensive. Some people put just as much into mods as they paid for the vehicle. I can't afford that. 2) it's my daily driver. 95% of the miles I drive are on pavement. 3) JTs are pretty capable off road stock just right off the dealer lot. I'm just looking to do a few extra things to make my ride a little more off road capable and still have a decent ride on pavement.

BrentThomas

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Rubicon, 19 Cherokee, 93 C3500 454, 04 Silverado RCSB
Bought my 02 TJ Sport in Oct 01, I would still own it, if it had not developed frame rust.

I bought this thinking it was gonna be the one I would die owning...but now they are at least teasing us with a hemi. Don't need the SRT Version, but I would definitely have to look at numbers on a standard variety Ram truck Hemi 6.4 or 5.7.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Usually early adopters hop to the next thing quickly. Glad to see that in this niche market buying your JT wasn't to have the latest thing, it was to have the only thing.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Bought my 02 TJ Sport in Oct 01, I would still own it, if it had not developed frame rust.

I bought this thinking it was gonna be the one I would die owning...but now they are at least teasing us with a hemi. Don't need the SRT Version, but I would definitely have to look at numbers on a standard variety Ram truck Hemi 6.4 or 5.7.
Around here they do frame-off repairs/restorations. Jeep guys never let a good Jeep die. I've seen pictures of some of the frame repair jobs and body parts replaced. I sold my NOS 258 to a local Jeep guy doing a full frame-off.

Not so simple on the unibody Jeeps like the WJ but I did pay over 3 grand for new rocker panels.
Sponsored