Sponsored

How successful would my Gladiator Sport be on the Rubicon Trail?

Ghetto Fab.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Things with 4 large wheels
Yea I wanted the geometry brackets for the better handling since it is my daily driver. My understanding is the more parallel the front LCAs are to the frame/road the less jarring bumps are so that's why I went with them.

I do plan on getting better control arms with the Clayton kit, but will likely keep the geometry brackets along with the new control arms for the same reason. Even with keeping the brackets, the Clayton arms will give me more flex which is mainly what I am after.
Adjustable control arms and geometry correction brackets are two totally different animals really. Adjustable control arms simply allow you to get your caster and pinion angles back to where they should be, but do nothing for geometry. Geometry brackets kinda suck since they space everything down on the frame 3-4" and that typically ruins ground clearance, but it restores all the suspension geometry to where it was before the lift. From what I've seen firsthand over about 2" lift the jeeps start developing roll oversteer and thats where some form of geometry correction is beneficial. Ideally, going to a long arm suspension fixes the geometry issues without killing ground clearance.

I would just ditch the rear sway bar. It doesn't do much and hangs down. The way they designed it attaching to the frame it looses ground clearance as the suspension compresses. I'd imagine some of the guys that have bent or ripped the mounts off have done so by trying to drive the links into rocks as the suspension articulates and compresses. That design just doesn't work for wheeling.

Its really cool to see the Glads being used on the Rubicon! Thats one of the things they were built for! Now to just find that extra $50k somewhere, hmmm......

Kevin
Sponsored

OP
OP

Josh903

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
I thought about removing the rear sway bar but then I came across this video and it gave me cause to rethink it. For now I think I'll keep it, now moreso since I resolved the frame side weakness, but I may later replace it with an AntiRock like I did the front.

Ghetto Fab.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Things with 4 large wheels
I thought about removing the rear sway bar but then I came across this video and it gave me cause to rethink it. For now I think I'll keep it, now moreso since I resolved the frame side weakness, but I may later replace it with an AntiRock like I did the front.

Lots of things not quite right in that video. I'd rather not derail this thread any further, but look at the overall picture of what's happening there.

JeepJunky

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave (Gator)
Howdy all,

A friend of mine may be doing a trip to the Rubicon trail next year in his JLUR and welcomed me to come if I dared. My Gladiator Sport has some mild mods that have helped me conquer some more moderate trails but from what I understand of the Rubicon, it is on an entirely different level. I feel I probably wouldn't get through it without some good bit of damage, if at all, but wanted to get y'all's thoughts on it.

Current mods are a Rubicon Express 3.5" lift which really just consisted of new springs, a front track bar, and a rear track bar relocation bracket, and front geometry correction brackets. Factory control arms and shocks with extensions sitting on Milestar Patagonia MT 35s. Mopar step Rock Rails along with RedRock Bed Side Rock Rails, AntiRock front sway bar, and Fab Fours Stubby front bumper and Badlands 12k winch.

I hope to upgrade the entire suspension to a Clayton Off Road 3.5" Overland Plus kit sometime next year but may or may not be in time for this theoretical Rubicon trip.

Most recently I did some of the mild to moderate trails in Moab including Hell's Revenge, Poison Spider, Top of the World, and Elephant Hill and it handled them well aside from a bit of skid plate usage.

Picture below for a visual idea of how it sits now.

So how much trouble would I be getting into if I tried to take it on something like the Rubicon LOL?!

PXL_20220518_225321042.jpg
Here are the requirement to attend the Jeep Jamboree group on the Rubicon Trails:
https://jeepjamboreeusa.com/trip/25th-rubicon-trail-2022/

All Jeep vehicles shall adhere to the following requirements for the Rubicon Trail Jeep Jamboree.

A minimum of 37” tires. (not to exceed 40”)
Front and rear lockers
Properly secured tow points
GMRS radios are required
Skid plates covering the gas tank, transfer case and rocker panels
Any Jeep Wrangler JK Model with a stock factory rear axle is required to install an upgraded rear cover and/or a rear glide plate. The following links show examples of the required equipment.
Rancho RockGEAR™ Rear Differential Glide Plate
Rancho RockGEAR™ Dana 44 Differential Cover
2022 Rubicon Trail Model Restrictions
Jeep vehicle models 1996 and older are not permitted to register for the Rubicon Trail Jeep Jamboree. Participants must have a Jeep Wrangler model year 1997 to present or a Jeep Gladiator model year 2020 to present in order to participate in the Rubicon Trail Jeep Jamboree.

That doesn't mean that you can't go for a ride with a Gladiator Sport if you don't meet these requirements. It just means JJ USA doesn't recommend it.
It isn't that they are snobby against non Rubi's, rather, trail rides suck when most of the people have to be strapped or winched every half a mile.
As an owner of a Mojave that has been on many a trail ride with JJUSA and friends, I can say you won't catch me and my Jeep on that specific trail. (I have 35" tires, 2" Lift, Rear Lockers)

OP
OP

Josh903

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Here are the requirement to attend the Jeep Jamboree group on the Rubicon Trails:

All Jeep vehicles shall adhere to the following requirements for the Rubicon Trail Jeep Jamboree.

Front and rear lockers
GMRS radios are required
Any Jeep Wrangler JK Model with a stock factory rear axle is required to install an upgraded rear cover and/or a rear glide plate. The following links show examples of the required equipment.
Jeep vehicle models 1996 and older are not permitted to register for the Rubicon Trail Jeep Jamboree. Participants must have a Jeep Wrangler model year 1997 to present or a Jeep Gladiator model year 2020 to present in order to participate in the Rubicon Trail Jeep Jamboree.

That doesn't mean that you can't go for a ride with a Gladiator Sport if you don't meet these requirements. It just means JJ USA doesn't recommend it.
It isn't that they are snobby against non Rubi's, rather, trail rides suck when most of the people have to be strapped or winched every half a mile.
As an owner of a Mojave that has been on many a trail ride with JJUSA and friends, I can say you won't catch me and my Jeep on that specific trail. (I have 35" tires, 2" Lift, Rear Lockers)
Yea I probably wouldn't do this trail with a Jeep Jamboree mainly because I would want to go at my own pace and do my own thing. I would like to attend a Jamboree at some point but perhaps where milder trails were available.

Sponsored

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
When you lift your truck, you have a number of choices for fixing the length of your control arms.

1. You can just fix the length with adjustable control arms. This does not effect your clearance.

2. You can also keep the same length control arms and get "geometry correction" brackets which lower the control arm bracket connection point to the frame a few inches or so. This hurts your clearance off-road, but, gives you better suspension geometry on the road.
Necessary for the Mopar 2" lift?

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner

Front and rear lockers
GMRS radios are required

This is the kind of stuff I would require in my group, but some people think I'm a Nazi gear snob.........NOPE! Love the 1996+ requirement, but that doesn't guarantee no breakdowns.

It's just that I don't want to be babysitting a bunch welfare trail tampons till the wee hours of the night...........Too many years of club runs where people do their inspections, repairs, and maintenance on the trial only as required due to mechanical failures.

If a person is going to spend $1500 + or - on a weekend trip with JJUSA, there better not be a bunch of hangups on the trail!

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
This is the kind of stuff I would require in my group, but some people think I'm a Nazi gear snob.........NOPE! Love the 1996+ requirement, but that doesn't guarantee no breakdowns.

It's just that I don't want to be babysitting a bunch welfare trail tampons till the wee hours of the night...........Too many years of club runs where people do their inspections, repairs, and maintenance on the trial only as required due to mechanical failures.

If a person is going to spend $1500 + or - on a weekend trip with JJUSA, there better not be a bunch of hangups on the trail!
Couldn’t agree more. If anyone is curious, I asked them what the reason for the 40” max tire size was. Once the tires exceed 40”, they become buggies in the insurance carrier’s eyes, and they can’t insure the trip.

I’m usually the over prepared trail person, and usually have more tools and recovery gear than almost anyone. But I’d rather be on that end, than the end where I’m always dependent on others.

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n

Another opp to completely derail the thread, but man-- nothing elicits more groans then speeding through a trail at a decent pace, and hitting the pack of a 15-20 Jeep group with some "master/leader/trail boss/etc" commanding and spotting every single vehicle. It's like seeing ducklings follow Mommy duck, and is the Jeep equivalent of getting a Tee time behind geriatric 5somes that refuse to use a cart.

:headbang:

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ok, here is her last video. More scraping sound on this one... All the Rubicon Springs out takes are at the end.

Great video. I've hiked and mtn biked part of that trail. I have a JTR with Mopar lift and 35s. Would I make it on the Rubicon Trail?

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Another opp to completely derail the thread, but man-- nothing elicits more groans then speeding through a trail at a decent pace, and hitting the pack of a 15-20 Jeep group with some "master/leader/trail boss/etc" commanding and spotting every single vehicle. It's like seeing ducklings follow Mommy duck, and is the Jeep equivalent of getting a Tee time behind geriatric 5somes that refuse to use a cart.

I can see that perspective, but many people enjoy the company of lots of fun jeep people on the trail. I like helping less experienced drivers out of tricky situations, or having more experienced people teach me more when I’m unsure of an obstacle. It’s the social aspect that draws me in. I’ll happily hang out at an obstacle for a while watching others figure out their line. It’s part of the fun, at least for me. I wouldn’t know half of what I do without someone else giving me pointers.

Wilber7

First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Howdy all,

A friend of mine may be doing a trip to the Rubicon trail next year in his JLUR and welcomed me to come if I dared. My Gladiator Sport has some mild mods that have helped me conquer some more moderate trails but from what I understand of the Rubicon, it is on an entirely different level. I feel I probably wouldn't get through it without some good bit of damage, if at all, but wanted to get y'all's thoughts on it.

Current mods are a Rubicon Express 3.5" lift which really just consisted of new springs, a front track bar, and a rear track bar relocation bracket, and front geometry correction brackets. Factory control arms and shocks with extensions sitting on Milestar Patagonia MT 35s. Mopar step Rock Rails along with RedRock Bed Side Rock Rails, AntiRock front sway bar, and Fab Fours Stubby front bumper and Badlands 12k winch.

I hope to upgrade the entire suspension to a Clayton Off Road 3.5" Overland Plus kit sometime next year but may or may not be in time for this theoretical Rubicon trip.

Most recently I did some of the mild to moderate trails in Moab including Hell's Revenge, Poison Spider, Top of the World, and Elephant Hill and it handled them well aside from a bit of skid plate usage.

Picture below for a visual idea of how it sits now.

So how much trouble would I be getting into if I tried to take it on something like the Rubicon LOL?!

PXL_20220518_225321042.jpg
If you don’t mind fixing a few rubs and dings. You only go around once don’t regret just do it.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs

Everyone is new once.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Great video. I've hiked and mtn biked part of that trail. I have a JTR with Mopar lift and 35s. Would I make it on the Rubicon Trail?
Thanks, my girlfriend will appreciate that. Our guy with the white Gladiator that lost a tail light had a similar setup, but, not a Rubicon, so, no lockers, and no rock crawler transfer case. He did not have a winch, so, we either winched him backwards or pulled him forward with a strap. We winched him a lot, maybe 20 times, and he did hold up the group a lot. In my opinion, You have a Rubicon with the lockers and low gearing, so, you will do better, but, I would armor up and you need a winch with a buddy infront of you and a buddy behind you who also has a winch.

PS. you also have to bypass Old Sluice, Little sluice, and of course, soup bowl.
PSS. If you do not "send it" as a prayer to get over obstacles, then, you will most likely not break down. Granny gear and crawling the whole way is the way to survive and have fun.

Last edited:

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks, my girlfriend will appreciate that. Our guy with the white Gladiator that lost a tail light had a similar setup, but, not a Rubicon, so, no lockers, and no rock crawler transfer case. He did not have a winch, so, we either winched him backwards or pulled him forward with a strap. We winched him a lot, maybe 20 times, and he did hold up the group a lot. In my opinion, You have a Rubicon with the lockers and low gearing, so, you will do better, but, I would armor up and you need a winch with a buddy infront of you and a buddy behind you who also has a winch.

PS. you also have to bypass Old Sluice, Little sluice, and of course, soup bowl.
PSS. If you do not "send it" as a prayer to get over obstacles, then, you will most likely not break down. Granny gear and crawling the whole way is the way to survive and have fun.
That's about what I thought. By the way, I grew up in east San Diego County in the mountains, Alpine and Jamacha.
Sponsored