DunnMan

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I don't understand why FCA treats this like some kind of voodoo black magic....it's just a steering box. In my early 20's when all I could afford was crappy, old cars it was pretty common to adjust the lash in the steering box.

Advertisement

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Wrangler
Let me add some more food for thought. I hand built a steering system for my 1965 Shelby Cobra. They are built manual steer but I retrofitted a 93 mustang rack, pump, and made my own lines at a hydraulic store. In the system it called for a filter to be installed in the low pressure side AFTER the rack. Even Ford designed some wear after the rack. I still for the life of me, dont understand why we have reached a level of misplaced trust in our dealer techs to not allow them to fix this; all the while, save jeep thousands of complaints, wasted man hours, and bad press.
I adjusted a Volvo Pitman box successfully back in about '72. Second time I did it on another Volvo, I went a little too far, and it was immediately too tight--no return to centre; binding. Simple. I backed it off and adjusted it right. No harm done. Worked right for many many years.

Should be really easy for a mechanic to adjust the slop out of the Pitman box. However, they have to do it the way that they are instructed. Does FCA require parts to be replaced to honour a warranty claim? Will they pay for service if the only charge is for a mechanic's time? If they won't, then that may be why they replace the steering box.

Last edited:

bertio

First Name
Robert
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Occupation
IT
Let me add some more food for thought. I hand built a steering system for my 1965 Shelby Cobra. They are built manual steer but I retrofitted a 93 mustang rack, pump, and made my own lines at a hydraulic store. In the system it called for a filter to be installed in the low pressure side AFTER the rack. Even Ford designed some wear after the rack. I still for the life of me, dont understand why we have reached a level of misplaced trust in our dealer techs to not allow them to fix this; all the while, save jeep thousands of complaints, wasted man hours, and bad press.
It might be something as simple as the vendor who makes the steering will not warranty the part if it has been opened.