Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a fan of I6 engines anyway, and this would really be the sort of thing I'd look to do if I ever did an engine swap. But I think I'll wait until I've run some more miles on this one - and my retirement funds go up again.
But I wonder what it would take to stuff this into my Eagle. Holy cow, that would be an upgrade from my slightly modified I6 already in there.
I have a doubt it would be way to large physically and rats, I'd have to give up my T5 transmission.

taintedsaint

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
retired military
Hoping someone comes up with a standalone ECU for this engine and trans.
I have a '70 Commando that would welcome a new heartbeat.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Wouldnt be surprised if Dodge ends up offering that. They did for the hellephants as part of their allure was that they're made to drop in to 70's muscle cars.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Wouldnt be surprised if Dodge ends up offering that. They did for the hellephants as part of their allure was that they're made to drop in to 70's muscle cars.
Heck Chevy did that many years ago - look at all of the modern LS engines in the tri-5 Chebbies.
And sometimes another company comes up with a solution.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
From what I read. It comes with an ECU. And Direct Connection is selling what they call a Torqueflite 8 transmission.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
From what I read. It comes with an ECU. And Direct Connection is selling what they call a Torqueflite 8 transmission.
Torqueflite 8 is also the 850re. It's simply the MOPAR version of the ZF 8 speed.
The RAM people say it's the 870, so I guess it's whatever you decide it is, but it's just a MOPAR made 8 speed transmission.
So if they are selling a "Torqueflite 8" - what is it really? Could be a 10 year old design, could be anything. All it means is it's 8 speed. All of these are branded as Torqueflite transmissions.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Torqueflite 8 is also the 850re. It's simply the MOPAR version of the ZF 8 speed.
The RAM people say it's the 870, so I guess it's whatever you decide it is, but it's just a MOPAR made 8 speed transmission.
So if they are selling a "Torqueflite 8" - what is it really? Could be a 10 year old design, could be anything. All it means is it's 8 speed. All of these are branded as Torqueflite transmissions.
"Dodge Direct Connection now offers the TorqueFlite 8HP70 transmission, which is the same transmission used in the 392 Hemi engine-fueled Scat Pack models. The transmission is now a plug-and-play option for use with Direction Connection crate engines enabling cars to achieve a greater torque capacity."

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
"Dodge Direct Connection now offers the TorqueFlite 8HP70 transmission, which is the same transmission used in the 392 Hemi engine-fueled Scat Pack models. The transmission is now a plug-and-play option for use with Direction Connection crate engines enabling cars to achieve a greater torque capacity."
It's also the transmission in the Grand Cherokee SRT8 (and some high-end sports cars.)

Sponsored

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sahara JKU, 2013 Rubicon JKU
Occupation
Seller of badassery

From this article:
https://www.motortrend.com/events/direct-connection-hurricane-i6-twin-turbo-crate-engines/

The only sad-trombone issue with early HurriCrates is that their OE production level engine controllers come locked, just like they are on road-legal cars. Don't fret, though, these are only intended to get these out and into the field as a Direct Connection engine controller for the HurriCrates that allows for custom tuning will be coming later.

4-Play

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR
Saving my $$ for this!

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
I recall seeing something on here in the last month or two about how the Hurricane is too long for the Gladiator/Wrangler platforms. It was made for the Cherokee/Wagoneer platforms. To fit it physically would require lengthening of the engine bay or a pushback of the firewall, neither of which are small tasks, let alone finding suitable mount locations after that.

I'm going to see if I can find that article. I would love to be wrong.
Sponsored