Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys in sarge green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
Very frustrating day. Got some skids in the mail this week and went to install them. Rancho front diff plate has a U bolt that's way too short.
f95qdwz.jpg

No way that's going on with what was provided in the box.
And the Rusty's rear lower control arm's hole didn't line up well enough to get a bolt through.
yV6c3CP.jpg

I drove it over to the mechanic who works in my shopping center and had him lift the truck up and try, and same results. Figured a guy who works on vehicles for a living would slap them both right on, but he ran into the same thing. Did I just get unlucky twice, or is there a trick to these?
Sponsored

kaeo_15

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
You need to enlarge the hole on the Rustys, or run it with only 2 bolts. It’s a pretty common issue with the LCA skids.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
A lot of us got the three bolts in with out enlarging the hole or skipping bolts last bolt in was the large one for me with an impact wrench it went. You are doing fine, we all struggle it seems!

Last edited:

TTU03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Willys
Very frustrating day. Got some skids in the mail this week and went to install them. Rancho front diff plate has a U bolt that's way too short.
Jeep Gladiator I am 0 for 2 trying to install skid plates yV6c3CP

And the Rusty's rear lower control arm's hole didn't line up well enough to get a bolt through.

I drove it over to the mechanic who works in my shopping center and had him lift the truck up and try, and same results. Figured a guy who works on vehicles for a living would slap them both right on, but he ran into the same thing. Did I just get unlucky twice, or is there a trick to these?
I don’t understand what is going on with the rustys. It seems like a 50/50 deal on getting them to fit without having to make adjustments. Seems like these would all be fabricated to the same specs. I just ordered mine so I will find out soon.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I used the LCA bolt and the top bolt, skipped the front bolt as it is irrelevant to function. If your LCA's don't line up, use your wheel chocks to adjust the position of the arms. Easy peasy.

Sponsored

LzyHkr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Don't have the Rancho front diff skid. I've installed the Rusty's LCA skids and Rock Hard LCA/shock mount skids. No issues with the Rock Hard skids, but did have to enlarge a hole on the Rusty's skids. Now I'm fighting with the Artec oil pan skid.

mtudb24

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I sure hope this isn't the issue as I was just about to order both front and rear. Here is a rancho video on installing. 1 think to note is the U-bolt in the video looks to be zinc coated and yours look like just standard steel (silver colored)

mtudb24

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I sure hope this isn't the issue as I was just about to order both front and rear. Here is a rancho video on installing. 1 think to note is the U-bolt in the video looks to be zinc coated and yours look like just standard steel (silver colored)

here is another screen shot where it looks like you might have been given the wrong U bolt. Looks anodized.
Jeep Gladiator I am 0 for 2 trying to install skid plates 1626831823217

ThatStinging_Jeep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon In Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I had the same results,I thought I could trust rustys but they seem to not get their shit straight with both customer service and them not being able to put holes in the right places,the lca skid mounting hole for the control arm bolt was all out of place by like and 1/8th pretty annoying so I just didnt put them on,frames messed up but I'm getting a new gladiator lol

Sponsored

Axeman

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Auto Tech

Both of these are known issues here on the forum. I had to enlarge one of the holes on my Rusty's CA Skids. That U-bolt is too short on the Rancho front skid, the rear uses a different system. There is a youtube of a guy who bent the tabs up and made the u-bolt reach. I used a 3 1/2 muffler clamp instead because it was wider and longer. If you go that route just be sure to paint the exhaust clamp u-bolt because they are not anodized and will rust quick.

RanchoShocks

Threads
Reaction score
Sorry it was a bugger, when you installed do you have the front very loosely installed by chance?
Matt

RanchoShocks

Threads
Reaction score
Hey that's me!!! We did that video shoot on a trail in WY LOL

OP
OP
Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys in sarge green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
Sorry it was a bugger, when you installed do you have the front very loosely installed by chance?
Matt
Yeah, since my thinking was it would allow for more movement and possible adjustment. I couldn't figure a way for both sides of that U bolt to go in for love or money though, nor could my mechanic. But Matt (you?) PMed me that a new U bolt would be coming in the mail shortly so hopefully can get that on soon. Thanks for that!

RanchoShocks

Threads
Reaction score
That was me LOL

Yeah, since my thinking was it would allow for more movement and possible adjustment. I couldn't figure a way for both sides of that U bolt to go in for love or money though, nor could my mechanic. But Matt (you?) PMed me that a new U bolt would be coming in the mail shortly so hopefully can get that on soon. Thanks for that!
Sponsored