Lynn_F

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2020 Sport S w/ Max Tow package. I had the Skyjacker 3.5 long arm coil spring lift installed at 700 miles. I'm running 37" RBP Repulsor tires. I had the bad steering box and it wandered really bad from day 1 so i changed out my steering stabilizer at ~14k miles to the Fox TS model. Seemed to help with the steering but coincidentally I had my 1st instance of DW shortly after the install. I battled it for a while and then installed the Synergy sector shaft/track bar brace and that really helped the steering and reduced the amount of time I got DW. The DW mostly occurred last Winter and I didn't have it much over the Summer-there's a spot leaving my neighborhood that if I hit it just right at the right speed it would happen every time.
Fast forward to September and I took it in to have the steering box changed out. The dealer had it for ~ 1 week then I picked it up. I drove out and immediately had DW so I turned around and dropped it off again. A couple days later they tell that they changed the steering box but not the steering gear?? 6 weeks later and the steering gear was replaced. It drove better and had no immediate DW so I hoped I was good. I drove it to work all week with no issues. We then we got our 1st cold front and (coincidentally) the DW is back. I took it back to the dealership and they checked everything they had messed with and said it was all tight and good. I then took it to the shop that installed the lift and they balanced and rotated and said it was good - it wasn't as I was still having intermittent DW. I ordered a Raptor Series track bar and installed it but the DW persisted.
I checked everything I knew to check: ball joints = good, tie rod ends = good, drag link ends = good, but made a clunking noise and newly installed track bar = tight/good.
I bit the bullet and ordered the HD steering kit from Metalcloak along with lower control arms and a new set of Bilstein B8 5160 piggyback shocks.
I installed the HD steering kit 2 days ago and the DW got worse...I can barely drive it. I white knuckled it 15 miles to the shop that installed my lift for an alignment hoping and praying that this would fix it. I'm here now and they have adjusted the toe and straightened the steering wheel and it still has DW. It is so bad that I'm scared to drive it. I don't know what else to do...any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

Jt2187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2017 Triumph Scrambler
Stupid Question, but did you check tire pressure? The problem seems to be temp related so would be worth monitoring as others on the forum have said tire pressure can make a big difference relative to driveability.

OP
OP
Lynn_F

Lynn_F

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Stupid Question, but did you check tire pressure? The problem seems to be temp related so would be worth monitoring as others on the forum have said tire pressure can make a big difference relative to driveability.
Yes, they are all at 34-35 psig.

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
At this point, I'd probably try to find the most reputable 4x4 shop in your area, even if you have to trailer it. Chances are, it isn't an OEM issue, and even if it is, with the lift kit, they are just going to void that portion of the warranty. You need someone with experience with lifted Jeeps.

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
How did it run stock, before all the mods? Was it 100% DW free (you did mention DW began after the steering stabilizer install)? If so, maybe get back to stock and mod 1 by 1 until DW starts again. I know, a s*it ton of work, but IMHO getting into a 'clean' (DW free) configuration should be the first step.

Sponsored

J.Noack

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Business Owner
How did it run stock, before all the mods? Was it 100% DW free (you did mention DW began after the steering stabilizer install)? If so, maybe get back to stock and mod 1 by 1 until DW starts again. I know, a s*it ton of work, but IMHO getting into a 'clean' (DW free) configuration should be the first step.
Wow my blood pressure rose just reading your troubles. OP I agree with this gentleman. At this point, if at all possible, put it back to stock. I know financially speaking, it sucks. But for the long haul, sometimes shit aint right. imo, reset, start over.
Also, post up what parts you may need to go back to stock. If its not feasible due to missing parts, surely some folks on here have a stock part or two laying around we can ship you. Hell what ever I have Ill ship you at my cost. Lets get that thing fixed.
What cha need?

OP
OP
Lynn_F

Lynn_F

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I had the lift installed at 700 miles. There was no DW then but it wandered like crazy...

OP
OP
Lynn_F

Lynn_F

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Wow my blood pressure rose just reading your troubles. OP I agree with this gentleman. At this point, if at all possible, put it back to stock. I know financially speaking, it sucks. But for the long haul, sometimes shit aint right. imo, reset, start over.
Also, post up what parts you may need to go back to stock. If its not feasible due to missing parts, surely some folks on here have a stock part or two laying around we can ship you. Hell what ever I have Ill ship you at my cost. Lets get that thing fixed.
What cha need?
Wow thats very generous! I appreciate it but I have to drive this damn thing back to work on Monday. They installed the lift over a year ago and I didn't request to keep the take off shocks, coil springs, sway bar links or factory track bar. I am about to remove my wheels/tires and reinstall my factory wheels/tires to see if that helps. I don't really know what else to try. I can't understand why a HD tie rod & drag link would make the DW worse. If i can't get this thing fixed, I will have a brand new MC HD steering pkg for sale.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
I have a 2020 Sport S w/ Max Tow package. I had the Skyjacker 3.5 long arm coil spring lift installed at 700 miles. I'm running 37" RBP Repulsor tires. I had the bad steering box and it wandered really bad from day 1 so i changed out my steering stabilizer at ~14k miles to the Fox TS model. Seemed to help with the steering but coincidentally I had my 1st instance of DW shortly after the install. I battled it for a while and then installed the Synergy sector shaft/track bar brace and that really helped the steering and reduced the amount of time I got DW. The DW mostly occurred last Winter and I didn't have it much over the Summer-there's a spot leaving my neighborhood that if I hit it just right at the right speed it would happen every time.
Fast forward to September and I took it in to have the steering box changed out. The dealer had it for ~ 1 week then I picked it up. I drove out and immediately had DW so I turned around and dropped it off again. A couple days later they tell that they changed the steering box but not the steering gear?? 6 weeks later and the steering gear was replaced. It drove better and had no immediate DW so I hoped I was good. I drove it to work all week with no issues. We then we got our 1st cold front and (coincidentally) the DW is back. I took it back to the dealership and they checked everything they had messed with and said it was all tight and good. I then took it to the shop that installed the lift and they balanced and rotated and said it was good - it wasn't as I was still having intermittent DW. I ordered a Raptor Series track bar and installed it but the DW persisted.
I checked everything I knew to check: ball joints = good, tie rod ends = good, drag link ends = good, but made a clunking noise and newly installed track bar = tight/good.
I bit the bullet and ordered the HD steering kit from Metalcloak along with lower control arms and a new set of Bilstein B8 5160 piggyback shocks.
I installed the HD steering kit 2 days ago and the DW got worse...I can barely drive it. I white knuckled it 15 miles to the shop that installed my lift for an alignment hoping and praying that this would fix it. I'm here now and they have adjusted the toe and straightened the steering wheel and it still has DW. It is so bad that I'm scared to drive it. I don't know what else to do...any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Lynn_F, search planman death wobble and watch his vids on YouTube or read his posts. You’ll need a person to help diagnose, but it works and you’ll find something that is moving and isn’t supposed to.

OP
OP
Lynn_F

Lynn_F

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Update: I watched Planman's DW videos and did not really find anything other than the bushing on the frame side of my trackbar had some play - im not sure if its more than the "normal deflection" that he refers to in the video. The trackbar is only a couple of months old so I hope that it's not the problem. I took my 37's off and reinstalled my stock sport wheels/tires back on and test drove it around my neighborhood and over the bump that normally cause DW. I could still feel a lot of vibration in the steering but no DW. I got up on the highway and had a major wobble at ~70mph. It didn't feel as violent as it does normally at low speed with the bigger tires and it stopped once I slowed to ~50mph. Could this possibly be an issue with my shocks? I plan on taking them off the truck and checking them tomorrow. My Bilstein shocks came in but I'm not sure I want to install them...I may not keep this thing.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Back when I installed second lift on my XJ I drove it about 35-40 miles then got the dreaded D.W. so bad I could only drive 25-30 mph home. My first thing to find and fix it was pull everything back off and put back to prior lift then go back in stages installing replacement parts until I found the problem part(s). I did that over a weekend. Then test driving with it to find out. Control arms (adjustable), springs, steering linkage, track bar, dropped pitman arm ect. The system has to be on ground weight on tires to tighten up everything or that can even be part of problem, then trashes bushings or has them loaded up in a bind. A bad bushing, tie rod, ball joint, cast or camber, ackerman angle, toe in or out. Loose steering gearbox "bolts" (I had to install steering gear box brace) and all of that can be the reason. As a effective I would have to replace tie rod ends in my steering on my XJ at least once a year after it's last lift, or I would get D.W. the aftermarket steering set up came with heim joints but only lasted 3-4 months as a D.D. then D.W. having a good 4Ă—4 shop do the work can be nice but it will leave you in the wind trying to figure out what the problem is and fixing it.
Then again you could have just got a bum front axle out of the gate, mis aligned when built or a"cocked" ball joint in it, my MJ had that happen from manufacturer left front, dealership in Germany almost busted the axle getting it out to replace it (?) I had a nice loaner car during that. :like:

OP
OP
Lynn_F

Lynn_F

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Update: DW is 95% eliminated. After 3 days in the local offroad shop (Thanks Cass!!) I believe I have resolved as much of the wobble as I can at this point. After installing the MC HD steering upgrade we found that the Rockport steering stabilizer wasn't doing the trick. They got creative with the relocation bracket and were able to get my Fox TS stabilizer to work.
Jeep Gladiator I need help! 20201202_173701

I don't remember this thing making that big of a difference when I 1st installed it but it made a world of difference vs the Rocksport.

Next they installed my MC adjustable lower front control arms increased the castor by over an inch.
Jeep Gladiator I need help! 20201202_173610

After that they removed the Raptor Series track bar that I recently installed due to ~3/8" play in both bushings. We replaced the worn out Johnny joint on my Skyjacker track bar with a new Heim joint and reinstalled it. I had them install my Bilstein reservoir shocks while they were under there too!!
Jeep Gladiator I need help! 20201202_173543

Jeep Gladiator I need help! 20201202_173556

This pretty much took care of the wobble...the only remaining issue is with my tires. I believe at least 1 of them is out of round which is causing a bad bouncing at ~50mph. They didn't have another set of tires on hand to prove this out so it looks like I'll be in for some new tires sooner than I hoped.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I have a JL friend, who has about 30k miles on his Jeep, who had a death wobble problem. We couldn’t find play anywhere. A local shop replaced his stock ball joints with the Dana HD joints, which took care of his problem. Apparently the stock joints have plastic races, while the HD versions are steel. I have no clue why they didn’t spec them with HD joints from the beginning...

Twilightwheelin

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTrubi JL , JK , WJ
First jeep ever?

ssteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
camaro, audi Q, cj2a, ram
How many miles on your truck now? This is a perfect example of why not to use anything skyjacker. There's no reason you should have warn out joints and "out of round" tires already.

The added caster should help a lot, glad to see you got it to someone who has a decent idea of what they are doing, unlike dealers.
Sponsored