Sponsored

If you could do it again... Gas or Diesel?

"I have a _______."... "If I could go back and do it again, I'd get a _______!"

• Total voters

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Make a diesel with a stick and I'll buy it. Until that time, choice of transmission overrides choice of engine every day for me and twice on Sundays.
Sponsored

redriderjf87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT, '81 Z-28, '18 TW200, '72 CT 175
Occupation
Electrical Controls Engineer
I'll get a diesel someday but it will probably be of the 2 stroke manual transmission variety.

The Crusader

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JTSD.
Occupation
Field Engineer
Diesel costs 10% more than gas but about 30% or more mileage. Maintenance costs more, but it runs better and more quiet than gas.

Dashiki

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rubicon, '21 Willys
Just picked up my second Gladiator and went gas for both. no regerts

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 F-150, ā€˜15 CTS, ā€˜21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
Can't answer the poll because I'm on the fence. The primary of two "must haves" when I ordered my Gladiator was diesel. The extra power, mileage, and the novelty of it all lured me in. The reality has been mixed parts disappointing and surpassing expectations:

Surpassing- Initially nothing beat that clatter. Now it's more of a hollow reminder. The power is there. Occasionally.

Disappointing- The mileage has been nothing close to advertised. Most of the time it feels like it's in a detuned state and it's like rolling the dice expecting 7 when I press the skinny pedal only to more often come up snake eyes. In fairness, mine's a work truck with 100s of lbs of gear in the bed, but still, I'm a light touch on pedal except for the occasional opportunity. It is front heavy.

This is my first Jeep and I know it's not a complete apples to apples comparison but after driving a similarly equipped JLUR for a week and a half recently, taking both off road and highway and city trips, I found the mileage to be equal to my diesel, the power sufficient of you keep it from downshifting too far, and the balance superb. I wheel my Jeep on the trails throughout CFL, sometimes with my work gear, sometimes not. Off-road the raw diesel torque rarely comes into play but the nose-heavy feel is ever present. The most surprising with the JL off road was its traction on inclines even with the same tires as my JT. In 4H and diffs locked out would barely slip if at all slip on loose ground that I know my JT would be spinning on. It left an impression.

One of these days I may get to wheel a JTR or even a JTM, and then I will have an answer for this poll.

I do believe the diesel in stock trim makes for an excellent and much better road vehicle or commuter than its gas brethren.

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Diesel costs 10% more than gas but about 30% or more mileage. Maintenance costs more, but it runs better and more quiet than gas.
That's entirely dependent on where you live. Diesel fluctuates so much regionally. Here, diesel is 5.99, and 87 is 4.89. I'd still get a diesel though, but only if I could row my own gears.

Last edited:

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
The more I drive my JTRD, the more I'm loving it. Over 8,000 miles on it now.

MntWild**

Off-road the raw diesel torque rarely comes into play
I have had both the gas JLUR and JTRD and I do feel the torque and it is a huge difference to me offroading. I have a 13500lbs winch and to me it does not feel like there is to much weight on the front. I am out every weekend.

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
I've seen nothing here or anywhere else online that makes me wish I had chosen a diesel. I think there are enthusiasts both ways, and you're going to like whatever you're partial to. Throw in the threads I read about the odd issues, and the JT bottoming out, and I'm quite happy with my gasser.

stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR, '15 Range Rover
Occupation
Civil Eng
Gas to gas for me. I don't need more power or longer range.
Based on my purchase history Im 7- 8 years away from replacing my 2020. Maybe by then technology will have a quick charging, 1000km range EV Jeep... (real world range...driving hills, valleys in hot and very cold weather)
Up here the gas vs diesel sale price difference is $8350 (about 50,000km worth of gas for driving). That combined with not buying DEF and higher priced diesel fuel, will make up for the fuel efficiency difference for a very long time.

Sponsored

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 F-150, ā€˜15 CTS, ā€˜21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
I do feel the torque and it is a huge difference to me offroading.
Of course there's a huge difference and maybe I needed to clarify what I meant by "come into play" as in by necessity.
I don't see the necessity. Now given my experience with gas and diesel are largely different:
My JTRD runs Florida trails, sand hills, mud holes, etc.
And I've wheeled a JLUR out west on some rocky obstacles; nothing too extreme but in any event the gas Wrangler never felt lacking for power one bit.
So I can't imagine where the diesel would be a necessity when off-roading.
If I'm missing something, we'll I'm willing to be enlightened.

onewhippedpuppy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Aerospace
Make a diesel with a stick and I'll buy it. Until that time, choice of transmission overrides choice of engine every day for me and twice on Sundays.
Amen to that. If they paired the diesel with a 6MT then Iā€™d seriously consider paying the premium. The 3.6 is a dog and I enjoy diesels, my last truck was an F250 diesel with full emissions deletes and a tune and it was fantastic. I would consider an automatic if they brought the 392 to the JT thoughā€¦.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Amen to that. If they paired the diesel with a 6MT then Iā€™d seriously consider paying the premium. The 3.6 is a dog and I enjoy diesels, my last truck was an F250 diesel with full emissions deletes and a tune and it was fantastic. I would consider an automatic if they brought the 392 to the JT thoughā€¦.
Go contact AMW in Michigan. You can have a 392 automatic or manual.

onewhippedpuppy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Aerospace
Go contact AMW in Michigan. You can have a 392 automatic or manual.
Yeah but Iā€™m really not into having a six figure Jeep, too rich for my blood.

Divided_Wood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
I love my diesel, coming from 2 previous Jeeps with the 3.6 (which I thought was a fine engine). Cost be damned, itā€™s way more fun to drive. Love the torque and sound. And I definitely couldnā€™t do burnouts with either of my previous Jeepsā€¦
Sponsored