Sponsored

Install Bolt Lock without cutting grille / Cheap Door Key

Bandolero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I wanted to share an install I just did. I have wanted to add a bolt lock to my JT but did not want to cut my grill. I had considered plastic welding the JL lock trim into the cut out of my JT grill but I found a way to install it without cutting at all.

There are several videos on YouTube and TikTok on how to install the Bolt Lock. You basically remove the 6 push tabs to remove your grill. Pop the grill out and then slide the bolt lock assembly into place and use a rivet gun to pop 4 1/4” rivets into place.

Next you are instructed to cut out a section of your grill to allow clearance for the key. This is where I went a different route. I used a razor to remove the rubber cover that would normally cover the lock and installed the grill over the lock without cutting.

My local locksmith had several SIP22 and SIP22TE nonchip Dodge/Chrysler keys. These keys cost $5 and he charged me $8 to cut them to match my factory key. This key fits perfectly between the holes in the grill and opens and locks my hood without having to cut anything. I already have to lock my wheel lock key in the glovebox so it doesn’t hurt me to keep this one locked in my glovebox along with my wheel lock. I also like that it allows me a cheap alternative if I go surfing, swimming , or tubing in the river. I can take the $5 key (or $13 I guess) and wear it on a necklace or bracelet and not worry about it getting wet. It locks and unlocks your glovebox and center console so you can lock up your valuable and not worry about an expensive fob.

I think this info would help anyone who doesn’t want to cut their JT grill or anyone who wants a simple door/glovebox key and doesn’t want to pay $200. A few shops I called wanted $30-$50 to cut the key I found a local locksmith / Hardware shop to be extremely reasonable.

IMG_1642.jpeg

IMG_1646.jpeg

IMG_1645.jpeg
Sponsored

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
While installing mine, i also became aware this was possible. All i'm going to say is exposing your lock to the elements may prove unwise over time. Sure the lock is covered over, but it's not a water tight impermeable seal. Get some rain in there, some winter spray combo of melting snow and road salt, some off road dirt, some beach sand and salt water, and eventually your lock will corrode and seize.

How long will this take? Maybe a year; maybe 15. The point is: i didn't want to find out. So i cut my grille. As a result, my grille is uglier than yours, but my hood lock is expected to last at least the life of the vehicle.

OP
OP
Bandolero

Bandolero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While installing mine, i also became aware this was possible. All i'm going to say is exposing your lock to the elements may prove unwise over time. Sure the lock is covered over, but it's not a water tight impermeable seal. Get some rain in there, some winter spray combo of melting snow and road salt, some off road dirt, some beach sand and salt water, and eventually your lock will corrode and seize.

How long will this take? Maybe a year; maybe 15. The point is: i didn't want to find out. So i cut my grille. As a result, my grille is uglier than yours, but my hood lock is expected to last at least the life of the vehicle.

You make really good points. It’s definitely a matter of preference. The lock is sealed just like the door locks and tailgate so I weighed the cost of having to drill the lock out and potentially replace it Vs cutting the grill and decided the risk was worth it. It’s basically a simple file cabinet style lock. I will lube it when I change the oil. I also live in an area where it never snows and have several 1970s pickups that are rolling around with their original patina and have no rust or rot. But I do agree it’s all a matter or risk tolerance. If I lived on the beach or up north I would probably feel differently.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
The lock is sealed just like the door locks and tailgate
Maybe i'm just theorycrafting with not enough real world experience, but for me the difference is between driving into the muck vs it being applied tangentially. Feels a bit different getting road salt sprayed on your door locks, versus driving into road salt spraying on your bolt lock at 50mph with that air resistance and wind pushing things past the seal.

But like i said, i'm most likely just over-thinking myself into a false conclusion.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
I also thought of trying to avoid trimming the grill, but then remembered if I ever wanted to remove the hood lock a replacement grill insert is $20 to make it stock again. So I cut it.

Screenshot_20230619-225326.png

Sponsored

gunsnrods

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired
OP here. I cut my grill with a Dremel tool. Looks OK, when I sell this Jeep buyer will be thrilled to have a locking hood, locking gas cap, receiver lock, and a bike cable to boot.

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military

Pics after you made the cut ? We want to see just how ugly it is... lol seriously, please post a picture if you have one available. Thanks

USMC_1Wire6337

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport S/MT; 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4 HEMI
Occupation
IT
Pics after you made the cut ? We want to see just how ugly it is... lol seriously, please post a picture if you have one available. Thanks
Hardly noticeable from a short distance. Almost have to be right up on it to see if you don't know to look for it.

Jeep Gladiator Install Bolt Lock without cutting grille / Cheap Door Key 20220805_161406

Jeep Gladiator Install Bolt Lock without cutting grille / Cheap Door Key 20220805_161425

Last edited:

Sponsored

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
i KEPT MY bOLT LOCK AND 2 KEYS WHEN i SOLD MY 2020 But I really like this small key suggestion. Good Job! Will be installing the Bolt on my 23 hood any day now. Very nice idea.

As far as Oil or Cover, might be splitting hairs. Regular oiling should keep it workable. And if you do cut and use the cover, it does nt stand out that much.

What really should piss us all off is that @Bolt does not care enough about JT owners to supply us with a pre-cut grill insert. Keeps me from buying a new Bolt to match my 2023 key.

OP
OP
Bandolero

Bandolero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i KEPT MY bOLT LOCK AND 2 KEYS WHEN i SOLD MY 2020 But I really like this small key suggestion. Good Job! Will be installing the Bolt on my 23 hood any day now. Very nice idea.

As far as Oil or Cover, might be splitting hairs. Regular oiling should keep it workable. And if you do cut and use the cover, it does nt stand out that much.

What really should piss us all off is that @Bolt does not care enough about JT owners to supply us with a pre-cut grill insert. Keeps me from buying a new Bolt to match my 2023 key.
I agree that they should have supplied us with better options. Us having to chop up our grill was the easiest way out for them.

I will say I’m at the 6 month mark almost and have had zero issue. Gladdy has 32,000 miles across 11 states and counting and the lock opens every time.

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

I decided to not cut my grill. I admit I live in California but do travel and run snowy and muddy trails. I don’t see any more risk than the unprotected door locks, and I use this lock a lot more than those. You’re in there to hook up your compressor, check your fluids, service your vehicle. I know if I felt any resistance in unlocking it will be time to lubricate the lock but after a year of all types of weather never felt like the lock wasn’t going to work.
Sponsored