Jeep Gladiator XMT Light Tactical Vehicle announced by FCA and AM General

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
Ahh just a thought, this as a tactical battle field vehicle or as a administrative fleet vehicle? We have both fleets plus a gsa fleet, just a thought. A lot less expensive to run a administrative vehicle that tactical vehicle in the middle of rush hour. In case your interested all the gsa vehicles are used until factory warranty is expired then auctioned off.
Not necessarily, I drove a GSA motor pool Ford Ranger, that was already 6-8 years old, with more than 100K miles in it, and was told to drive it until it died, and died it did about six months later. GSA replaced it with a brand new Ford Ranger.
Cheers
Sponsored

Psycho Squirrel

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 White Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, '14 Black Grand Cherokee Limited, '63 Blue Corvair Monza,
Fugly? Maybe. All up to personal taste. But functional.

I live in western Maryland and the deer population is enormous, carcasses all over the road. After seeing another JKU with its grill, hood and one fender destroyed I decided to build an outback bush style grill guard. Wasn’t beautiful but it was strong. Two weeks after I installed it a deer crossed my path at 50mph. Only a dented license plate to show for it. I win!

Jim_n_Tx

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Rubicon, 1946 CJ2A, 1968 Jeepster Commando, M422 Mighty Mite and 2020 Gladiator Bright White
Vehicle Showcase
Would love to get that hood!

Kaviiak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
AM General press release:

jeep-gladiator-xmt-1500x1000.jpg

Jeep Gladiator XMT Concept3.jpeg
Jeep Gladiator XMT Concept1.jpeg
Jeep Gladiator XMT Concept2.jpeg

AM General and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Partner to Develop New Light Tactical Concept Vehicle – Jeep Gladiator XMT

WASHINGTON, D.C., October 14, 2019 – Leading manufacturer of light tactical vehicles, AM General, together with the Jeep Brand of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA), today introduced a new light tactical concept vehicle at the Annual Meeting and Exposition of the Association of the U.S. Army (AUSA). The Jeep Gladiator Extreme Military-Grade Truck (XMT) by AM General is the first phase of a collaboration that reunites two companies whose histories trace back to World War II. In creating the Jeep Gladiator XMT, AM General leveraged the Gladiator’s class-leading capabilities and customized the truck to meet global customers’ needs for a light-weight military truck.

“We are extremely excited to partner with FCA and introduce the Jeep Gladiator Extreme Military-Grade Truck at AUSA,” said AM General President and CEO, Andy Hove. “This new venture gives us an opportunity to showcase our expertise in light tactical vehicles and help FCA maximize the Gladiator’s global reach and potentially enter new military markets.”

AM General identified the all-new 2020 Jeep Gladiator – the most capable midsize truck ever, with 7,650 pounds of towing capacity and up to 1,600 pounds of payload capacity – as the ideal platform on which to develop the Extreme Military-Grade concept vehicle.

“The Jeep brand has an important military heritage, so we couldn’t be happier that AM General expressed interest in creating the Gladiator XMT,” said Jim Morrison, Head of Jeep Brand – North America. “The all-new Jeep Gladiator boasts unmatched functionality, versatility and especially capability – including two advanced 4×4 systems, locking differentials, skid plates, tow hooks, and incredible approach, breakover and departure angles – the perfect foundation for this ultra-capable military concept vehicle.”

“We’re proud to partner with AM General, we look forward to gauging interest and gathering feedback on the Jeep Gladiator XMT, and we’re excited about potential future opportunities,” Morrison added.

Based on its over 100 years of experience in the defense industry and deep knowledge of the global military landscape, AM General identified a series of parts and accessories that amplify the Jeep Gladiator’s leading off-road maneuverability and enhance the Gladiator’s capability to provide its end users with the appropriate equipment for tactical communications and service. The Jeep Gladiator XMT has been upfitted by AM General with both custom-built and commercially available military-grade parts to create an even more rugged truck that can traverse the toughest of terrains in adverse conditions and is ready to meet varied military customer requirements.

As with the iconic, proven and versatile Humvee, AM General can also apply its manufacturing and engineering expertise to convert the Gladiator XMT into mission-specific and purposeful light-weight tactical trucks based on customer requirements. Whether the need is to have a rugged personnel transport carrier or a command and control truck, the company has demonstrated through the Enhanced Tactical Kit (ETK) offerings on Humvee, its ability to deliver solutions that are customer-driven, and cost-effective.

Pending feedback and interest in the military marketplace, production could begin in the second half of 2020. In addition to the gas model, Gladiator XMT would be offered to military customers as a diesel version.

Article by Digital Trends

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/jeep-gladiator-xmt-is-a-military-version-of-jeeps-pickup-truck/

Jeep could return to the battlefield with the toughened-up Gladiator XMT

October 14, 2019

jeep-gladiator-xmt-1500x1000.jpg

Jeep built its reputation on the battlefields of World War II, so it’s fitting that a modern Jeep off-roader will wear a military uniform. The vehicle in question is the 2020 Jeep Gladiator, the automaker’s recently-introduced midsize pickup truck. Because this is a military vehicle, the first thing Jeep did was add an acronym to the name. This truck is called the XMT, for Extreme Military-Grade Truck.

The Jeep Gladiator XMT was developed in concert with AM General. The company developed the Humvee, the vehicle that replaced the original Jeep in United States military service. AM General is still involved in defense projects. It decided that the Gladiator’s high tow and payload ratings made it a good basis for a military vehicle, according to a company press release.

Modifications included “both custom-built and commercially available military-grade parts,” according to AM General. Some of those modifications include a brush guard and tube doors that many civilian Gladiator owners would likely love to have on their trucks.

AM General said the Gladiator XMT could be offered with both gasoline and diesel engines, but did not offer any other details. Jeep currently sells the Gladiator with a 3.6-liter gasoline V6, making 285 horsepower and 260 pound-feet of torque, and plans to offer a 3.0-liter turbodiesel V6 beginning in calendar-year 2020, with 260 hp and 442 lb-ft. Tuner Hennessey shoehorned a 1,000-hp V8 into a Gladiator, but don’t expect that to be an option for military customers.

The Gladiator is the first production Jeep pickup truck since 1992, when the automaker stopped building the Cherokee-based Comanche. Just as that truck was based on an existing Jeep SUV, the Gladiator is based on the current-generation (code name JL) Wrangler. However, the Gladiator features a unique frame and rear suspension, as well as an upgraded cooling system, rear brakes, and axles to better cope with the stress of towing and hauling.
That is the bumper i want!

Sponsored

jlg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport-S Max Tow, Punkin Metallic
So, where is the .50 cal mounted in the bed? I think we should reboot the Rat Patrol....

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
https://www.foxnews.com/auto/jeep-am-general-team-up-on-military-spec-gladiator-pickup

I'm actually quite excited about this and may trade my Sport Max Tow for it. Or realistically buy as my second Jeep by the time it actually hits the market (recall how long the new service pistol program took to actually materialize)

Yes, I understand military-spec is essentially lowest bidder to do the minimum function required. I'm hoping with being used for military purposes it will have a greater payload capacity and stronger frame, axles, etc.

SloW8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
I would imagine that it would be like the J8 in that it wasn't sold to the public.

speedracer0481

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland (lemon law), 2021 JTR (on order!), 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7
That was announced last fall. I haven't heard of any updates. I wonder if it actually materialized into anything.

Sponsored

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed3, 1956 F100
Occupation
Engineer
I would imagine that it would be like the J8 in that it wasn't sold to the public.
Right...military spec is usually sold to the...............

military.

Good news! You can buy the civilian version today!

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
I’d sure like to have that front bumper/grill guard on mine! Aftermarket guys-TAKE NOTES!
Jeep Gladiator Jeep Gladiator XMT Light Tactical Vehicle announced by FCA and AM General D7CAB818-2643-4860-AE5D-DB3815A008A7

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
I just don't see the Gladiator as being strong enough. The HumVee was a 1 1/4 ton vehicle, whereas the Glad is 1/2 ton. They would require the frame from a Dodge 3500, much higher spring rates, and a more powerful engine... then there's the ability to operate under all conditions without fail, every electrical connector would need to be replaced...

Military is better off designing a vehicle to suit their needs, and then allowing the manufacturer to produce a commercial version of it.

Blknblu

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Viper, 1968 Coronet R/T, 2011 Mopar 11. 2020 Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
why would a milspec JT have tube doors?

Bruce
Sponsored