First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Firecracker Red 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon "Azazel"
Occupation
Auditor
As a newb to off road capable vehicles. I'm usually the a-hole who's throwing his sports car around in the snow, not the friend who gets him unstuck. So I thought I'd start a thread about Basic recovery. Got my self a nice tow strap, but want to know how to best use it. I do not yet have a winch, so any extra info about winch-less recovery would be great.

Any insight or a good video series to watch about it?

Any tools or links to "must haves?"

More directed at "every day" situations, and less extreme off road situations

Thanks!
Sponsored

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
That recovery, I thought you meant from the jt payments.what model did you buy? With a good recovery strap you will need a shackle or two, possible a couple of soft shackles, gloves, and desire to get dirty while doing the recovery.

OP
OP
sad85XD

sad85XD

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Firecracker Red 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon "Azazel"
Occupation
Auditor
That recovery, I thought you meant from the jt payments.what model did you buy? With a good recovery strap you will need a shackle or two, possible a couple of soft shackles, gloves, and desire to get dirty while doing the recovery.
Rubicon. Ooof, I feel ya on the payments :lipssealed::piggybank:

Gloves and dirt not a problem.

Up venture

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Equipment I usually have with me during winter for either my recovery or others.

Recovery strap: best to have endless loop without hooks. Hooks can become heavy flying projectiles when a strap breaks.

Boy Axe: light and doesn't require gas stores easy and can be used to clean trail, cut branches for traction on ice, or use as a striking tool.

Scoop shovel: for obvious reasons

D clevises: Only use when necessary. Try to rig in a manner that eliminate them but in some situations you can't avoid.

Good to keep blankets some snacks and water as well.

Just trying to list items that don't include winch use.

Tire chains can be useful sizing and local laws should be advised. There are other devices as well that strap a block to a tire by passing a strap through the rim. They help giving a vehicle the ability to bite into ice or paddle.

Whatever equipment you choose to take learn how to use it before you have to use it. Be safe don't rush and make sound decisions.

Sponsored

Bacstar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Data Analyst

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Discovery, 2009 Toyota Tacoma
There's a different between a "tow" strap and a "recovery" strap (or, at least there should be; folks may use other words). A tow strap is not designed to stretch a bunch. A recovery (some folks may call it a "kinetic") strap will stretch 20-some percent and bounce back to it's at-rest length.

As Bacstar mentioned, Matt records his recoveries (I watch 'em too). For those running start snatch recoveries, he always uses a "recovery" rope as the sole connector, or one of several connectors (sometimes he'll use a tow rope and recovery rope together when increased distance is needed), during his roll back and gun it recoveries.

You can find on YT examples of people using a tow strap improperly, which usually results in something giving. The strap breaks, the bumper gets ripped off, etc.

Gecko-JKU

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Gecko Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Gone but not forgotten), 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Toyota 4 Runner
If you're talking everyday situations and tools, gloves, a tow strap and a bag of sand or kitty litter will get most stuck vehicles out. Tube sand is fantastic because you can just leave it in the bed during the winter to give weight to the rear wheels. If someone is stuck you can pour some in front of their tires to give them extra traction to get started. If that fails you can use the tow strap. Attach to both vehicles and pull forward slowly until the strap is mostly tight. Then give some steady acceleration to pull. Tow straps aren't meant for jerking action like recovery/kinetic rope.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
If you're talking everyday situations and tools, gloves, a tow strap and a bag of sand or kitty litter will get most stuck vehicles out. Tube sand is fantastic because you can just leave it in the bed during the winter to give weight to the rear wheels. If someone is stuck you can pour some in front of their tires to give them extra traction to get started. If that fails you can use the tow strap. Attach to both vehicles and pull forward slowly until the strap is mostly tight. Then give some steady acceleration to pull. Tow straps aren't meant for jerking action like recovery/kinetic rope.
There are recovery straps that look just like tow straps (and can be used as such) but can yank like kinnetic ropes

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
There's a different between a "tow" strap and a "recovery" strap (or, at least there should be; folks may use other words). A tow strap is not designed to stretch a bunch. A recovery (some folks may call it a "kinetic") strap will stretch 20-some percent and bounce back to it's at-rest length.

As Bacstar mentioned, Matt records his recoveries (I watch 'em too). For those running start snatch recoveries, he always uses a "recovery" rope as the sole connector, or one of several connectors (sometimes he'll use a tow rope and recovery rope together when increased distance is needed), during his roll back and gun it recoveries.

You can find on YT examples of people using a tow strap improperly, which usually results in something giving. The strap breaks, the bumper gets ripped off, etc.
He used to run recovery straps and replaced them frequently. A good kinetic rope is much more expensive so it was a few videos before he switched

BruteForce

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
utahbruteforce.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2009 Ram 3500 CTD, 2001 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
SVP/CISO
My self recovery kit now includes:

• Smittybilt 12k Winch
  • Kinetic recovery strap
  • 4x soft shackles
  • 4x hard shackles
  • 2x 25' Tow Straps (XHD)
  • Shovel
  • Viar 300P Air Compressor
  • Recovery Traction Tracks
  • Pull-Pal Winch Anchor (this thing is HEAVY)
  • Hi-Lift Jack
  • 4 gal RotoPax (extra fuel)
I have a ton of other stuff too like first aid kit, basic emergency food supplies, gloves, .45 w/extra ammo, etc..

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
As a newb to off road capable vehicles. I'm usually the a-hole who's throwing his sports car around in the snow, not the friend who gets him unstuck. So I thought I'd start a thread about Basic recovery. Got my self a nice tow strap, but want to know how to best use it. I do not yet have a winch, so any extra info about winch-less recovery would be great.

Any insight or a good video series to watch about it?

Any tools or links to "must haves?"

More directed at "every day" situations, and less extreme off road situations

Thanks!
Since you’re focusing on “every day situations” and not off-road I would think a Tow Strap instead of a kinetic recovery rope would be fine.

I just bought this one for my son who is getting into overlanding..

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200451242_200451242

As mentioned above try to avoid anything metal if you can. I have heavy duty metal shackles but that is a whole different discussion. If your budget allows consider getting at least one like this.

https://tacticalrecoveryequipment.c...1kEYWmLcRqBvsA20yZmS_mp-bGKu48ohoCCrsQAvD_BwE

One last piece of advise, if you are pulling someone out be sure all tow points are secure and if possible have the owner of the stuck vehicle attach the tow strap to their vehicle so it’s not your responsibility if something happens.

And another piece (really!) make sure you are in 4 Low for the maximum power to pull someone out.

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KL Cherokee Trailhawk, JT Gladiator RUBICON
Occupation
Enabler
This is a Basic Budget Recovery kit I gathered for my Rubicon.

Here:
Straps, Rings, Shackle
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07THN974C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Tire Repair Kit
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002I52RG0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Air Compressor
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K296N6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just grab my shovel for my yard whenever I go out. You definitely need a shovel, but not a fancy/expensive one.

Winch = Your choice really. There are many that are suitable for your needs. I went with a Warn VR EVO 12-S. Pricey, there are other cheaper options that will do just fine.

I already had to use my winch and air compressor last week. Recovered a buddies stuck Samurai and I used the Air Compressor to air back up from 20psi to 32psi. Took about 1.5 mins - 2 mins per 33" tire. Not bad for a cheap air compressor.

bhbdvm

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon, 2016 BMW R1200GS
Here is a link for some ARB Recovery Kits. I purchased the essential kit. To echo the previous, recognize the difference between a "snatch" strap and regular strap and when to use each one. With no winch, I would assume you would definitely want a properly rated snatch strap, shackles (both metal and soft, from what I have learned there are pros and cons to both). I think this kit or one like it would be a safe and quality option. I have a Warn Elite Full Width Bumper and Warn Zeon 10S winch. If I don't use for myself then at least I can help others. I would definitely watch some quality videos on YouTube and you can check local clubs or even seminars that discuss safe rescue techniques. Here is the link to my purchase:

https://arbusa.com/recovery/kits/
Sponsored