Sponsored

Livernois Motorsports Tune claims 50HP gains (on E85) for V6 JL Wrangler and JT Gladiator

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I orded one for my JL and it's supposed to be here today. I purchased an unlocked PCM as well. The whole process took about 2 weeks. There is some back and forth through email and phone to get the cloning process done. It's not a simple plug and play but not hard either. Although the whole process could be easier with more detailed instructions.

Hopefully the trans wont constantly hunt for 8th gear anymore and be more usable. I will put in E85 after my tank of 93 is gone. The price difference here is $1.07 so I should save about $200 a year on fuel. That is not taking into consideration the 2 mpg increase people are showing with the better tune.
Sponsored

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
An extra 50 hp is quite the bump on an NA motor for E85 alone. This is pretty intriguing. As far as the 3.6 goes, Im sure most modern engines and components are built to withstand E85 content being that ethanol is in majority of gas these days anyway. What Id be curious to know if the fuel pump can keep up with the demand of E85 as well as the injectors. Id want to see fuel pressure at WOT up top as well as AFRs to make sure its not running out of fuel.
Aside from metal lines, pump and injectors would be the weak point. Not sure now, but I remember those 2 parts being more expensive than for running up to e10.

Sponsored

IamWardicus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently Driving: Sport S Max Tow Gladiator in Sting-Gray
Occupation
Management in a retail setting
Quick review of my tune: I like it! I haven't gotten the transmission tune yet as they're still working on it. Fuel economy hasn't changed for me, I'm still about 19mpg, dipping into the 18s but I also drive on cruise at 72mph and I've let the truck idle a bit to get warmed up these last few days.

I asked for 3 different octane profiles - 87, 91, and 93 - and I can get the E85 if I ever want to, but it's not on my list as the current profiles do enable FFV functionality. There's a noticeable difference in response between Stock -> 87 Tuned -> 91 Tuned, bigger difference between 87 -> 91. Stock to 87 is there especially at 3500rpm+. For me I particularly love the extra oomph when merging onto the highway as I do 80% highway driving. It gives the truck the confidence it needs for that and that alone for me is worth the cost of admission.
I had the 91 tune for a week and just yesterday dropped it back to the 87 tune, and it's more sluggish. Since the cost per tank is only about $5 more per week (yay Costco gas) I'll be going back to the 91 tune. I might play with the 93 after another full fill up.
The service from Livernois has been amazing. There were some snags in everything, however they were prompt to work with me on fixing the issues and Andys communication is spot on.
Overall it's been a great experience so far and I'm looking forward to the transmission tune.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I orded one for my JL and it's supposed to be here today. I purchased an unlocked PCM as well. The whole process took about 2 weeks. There is some back and forth through email and phone to get the cloning process done. It's not a simple plug and play but not hard either. Although the whole process could be easier with more detailed instructions.

Hopefully the trans wont constantly hunt for 8th gear anymore and be more usable. I will put in E85 after my tank of 93 is gone. The price difference here is $1.07 so I should save about $200 a year on fuel. That is not taking into consideration the 2 mpg increase people are showing with the better tune.
I have been working on my own tune. To this point I have not been able to make 8th gear something as solids as say like 6th or 7th. I think there are two things at play. The engine has crank speed limits that are sensitive at low load O when it is running 1500 to 1800 rpm less than 50,% throttle it asks for a down shift. If you try to increase that much you get the Avengers symbols on the dash. The transmission has torque settings that have given me limited success holding 8th longer, but nothing that is suprisingly better. I am beginning to think ZF (manufacturer of trans) has some setting for the torque capacity of 8th that are not available to the public. The best I have been able to accomplish is increasing torque capacity and changing shift point so you don't feel the huge power difference going back and forth from 7th and 8th. With 4.10 gears and 35s In 7th at 70 ilI run about 2500 rpm and that is not bad for a V6.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I have been working on my own tune. To this point I have not been able to make 8th gear something as solids as say like 6th or 7th. I think there are two things at play. The engine has crank speed limits that are sensitive at low load O when it is running 1500 to 1800 rpm less than 50,% throttle it asks for a down shift. If you try to increase that much you get the Avengers symbols on the dash. The transmission has torque settings that have given me limited success holding 8th longer, but nothing that is suprisingly better. I am beginning to think ZF (manufacturer of trans) has some setting for the torque capacity of 8th that are not available to the public. The best I have been able to accomplish is increasing torque capacity and changing shift point so you don't feel the huge power difference going back and forth from 7th and 8th. With 4.10 gears and 35s In 7th at 70 ilI run about 2500 rpm and that is not bad for a V6.
Well I have a sahara so I believe the gears are 3.45. That will of course make a difference. I have noticed 8th is much easier to come by now with the new tune.

DubaiMarauder

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Truck Driver
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
One of the downers of this is that E85 will simply wear your engine out faster. It strips oil from the cylinder walls. I won't run that stuff in any engine. It is just too hard on them.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
One of the downers of this is that E85 will simply wear your engine out faster. It strips oil from the cylinder walls. I won't run that stuff in any engine. It is just too hard on them.
Oil shouldn't be getting past your piston rings...

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Oil shouldn't be getting past your piston rings...
That E85 bit is myth anyway. I
t doesn't damage engines. State vehicles are mandated to run it and those cars go as long as any other engine would. It doesn't wash off oil. For one thing, it shouldn't be so wet in the combustion chamber that it could wash anything if it would.
Too many myths from those haters who haven't used ethanol like I have.
Besides, 4 cycle engines have two times per cycle where the piston is up at the top - TDC, and the rings and piston carry oil up the cylinder wall, and the rings themselves are "Scrapers" and scrap oil off the cylinder walls as the piston goes back down.
The alcohol is also so hot when it gets into that compressed mix it's not liquid - there's no liquid to wash oil off the cylinder walls. I see a lot of people out there claiming it while real life studies show otherwise. Another hate myth.
A study from Finland years ago showed equal wear ethanol fuels vs. straight gas.

We had state cars with 100,000 miles on them and no engine trouble.
Sponsored