Loose Steering?

Gottype

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1973 Bronco, 1972 C-10
Going to try again, dropping JT of at dealer in the morning for the steering. Will let you know what happens this time. Wish me luck.
Sponsored

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Sting grey M/T. Prius...
I finally went to the dealership to address some concerns I had on my JT Rubicon. I too have the 2 inches of play in my steering wheel. Had the service manager come out and test drove my Rubicon, then another similar JT Rubicon on the lot, and had the exact amount of play as mine. I couldn't make the argument that mine was an issue. Unless I test drive a rubicon without the 2 inches of play, I hate to say this but my conclusion is that it's designed to be this way. I'm going to assume that people with steering issue that was able to get their dealer to confirm that it's an issue, is not the same steering issue that I thought to have.

Gottype

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I finally went to the dealership to address some concerns I had on my JT Rubicon. I too have the 2 inches of play in my steering wheel. Had the service manager come out and test drove my Rubicon, then another similar JT Rubicon on the lot, and had the exact amount of play as mine. I couldn't make the argument that mine was an issue. Unless I test drive a rubicon without the 2 inches of play, I hate to say this but my conclusion is that it's designed to be this way. I'm going to assume that people with steering issue that was able to get their dealer to confirm that it's an issue, is not the same steering issue that I thought to have.
From what I have read you either have a good one or a loose one. Mine is at the dealer now getting looked at again,

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Sting grey M/T. Prius...
From what I have read you either have a good one or a loose one. Mine is at the dealer now getting looked at again,
Wish you luck and keep us posted. I knew I had play in my steering wheel from the moment I took it off the lot, just never thought it was an issue until many of us reported it. I got a 2020 dodge ram for my rental and the steering was precise. I move just quarter of an inch left or right and it'll respond. I pointed this out to the service manager and he said it's because of the rubicon suspension and maybe the stock tires.

Gottype

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wish you luck and keep us posted. I knew I had play in my steering wheel from the moment I took it off the lot, just never thought it was an issue until many of us reported it. I got a 2020 dodge ram for my rental and the steering was precise. I move just quarter of an inch left or right and it'll respond. I pointed this out to the service manager and he said it's because of the rubicon suspension and maybe the stock tires.
I wonder why my brothers wrangler drives just fine compared to my JT ? Wonder if the steering box's are the same ?

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I canā€™t remember if I posted in this thread previously or not (and itā€™s too long to review), but there is a fix for much of this. There is a steering box sector shaft preload adjustment which can be made which may correct this issue in many Jeeps. We used to do this on CJs back in the day. A friend of mine also did this on his 2018 JL yesterday and reports ā€œ100% improvementā€. You do have to be careful not to over-do it or you can cause it to bind, and not to return to center properly.

the-dude-abides

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020
Update from me...

So I previously said I adjusted the steering box and installed a TeraFlex Falcon 2.2 stabilizer with positive results. Technically I installed the stabilizer before I adjusted the steering box to see how much tighter that made the steering. The stabilizer helped but there was still a lot of free play/dead zone in the first couple of inches of the steering. So while I had more firm steering the dead zone was still making it awkward to drive.

I then adjusted the steering box and settled on 1/8th tighter adjustment. There was still some play/dead zone but it was much better and the steering was noticably stiffer as well. I drove it around a while and found that I need to set the stabilizer on the softest setting so I didn't have to fight the truck for small steering adjustments like you would make going straight down the road. That seemed mostly fix the dead zone problem but I found the steering still tight near the outer edges of when the steering box would finally engage. Basically the stabilizer and the steering box adjustment resulted in too stiff steering for fine steering corrections.

I also found that the return to center behavior was undesirable causing me to need to overcorrect in the opposite direction coming out of a turn in order for things to end up straighten. Another thing which I can't explain the now was the truck felt like it was more prone to being pushed around on the road on the highway. Like if a semi or big truck went buy me or I it, I'd have to intentionally counter steer against the wind forces so I wouldn't get pushed into/out of the lane. That sucked.

So I decided that perhaps if the steering box adjustment made the dead zone mostly go away and made the steering stiffer, that I didn't need the stabilizer. I don't experience too much wander and I'm on the stock setup.

So I put the stock stabilizer back on and I have to say, I'm 100% happier with the steering now. I was real close to taking a depreciation hit on this truck and getting something else due to the steering. It was bad. Dead zone still there but it's small and I can make minor adjustments to steering and have the truck respond beautifully. It returns to center mostly on its own again. I no longer get blown all over the road with traffic.

I wish the steering was a bit tighter in the middle and perhaps more adjustment of the steering box would help but I'm not going to mess with it anymore. I'm happy and I'm keeping her. The stabilizer is on the shelf until I find I need it with 37s and a lift.

Gladius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Jskicet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 BMWā€™s
I drove a Rubicon a couple of months ago and the steering was surprisingly tight. I actually was really impressed how it drove compared to Jeeps I've owned in the past. Today I took my wife to drive one which also was a Rubicon and this thing was wondering all over the place. Big dead spot. You could even feel it sitting still. It was so bad that my wife said that she would not drive it nor buy one if this is how they all drive. Can't say as I blame her. I would like to order one to get it optioned out how I like it but it would really suck if it came in like the one we drove today. Will pass on the truck for now and maybe drive a 2021 when they hit the ground to see if anything has improved. I really like the Gladiator but really bummed on the piss poor steering for a new vehicle. Sad.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
I drove a Rubicon a couple of months ago and the steering was surprisingly tight. I actually was really impressed how it drove compared to Jeeps I've owned in the past. Today I took my wife to drive one which also was a Rubicon and this thing was wondering all over the place. Big dead spot. You could even feel it sitting still. It was so bad that my wife said that she would not drive it nor buy one if this is how they all drive. Can't say as I blame her. I would like to order one to get it optioned out how I like it but it would really suck if it came in like the one we drove today. Will pass on the truck for now and maybe drive a 2021 when they hit the ground to see if anything has improved. I really like the Gladiator but really bummed on the piss poor steering for a new vehicle. Sad.
So, you drove two. One was great, one was poor. You are batting .500. You cannot use this forum to determine degree of quality. If 20 people on this forum have issues, how do you know what % of the total that is? Is it a relevant sample size or skewed due to only people with issues posting or people googled the steering issue and they came here to post, further skewing the perception.

I bought mine off the lot. First year of a new vehicle provides little history to research. You can review the JL, but there are enough differences that it is not really relevant. I came here to research a vehicle I think looks fantastic! I used the insights and experiences of the good people here to help me know what to look for when I started visiting dealers. There was a lot of inventory and I found the vehicle for me and ran it through its paces. It had none of the issues identified on this forum, but I drove a few others that did.

A clear head, good strategy and deliberate, honest approach are required in buying any new vehicle, particularly one that is a first year launch, with little history and some consistently reported issues. All the best in your search.

Sponsored

Scrubb84

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Its really sad. FCA/Jeep knows they have bad steering boxes (along with all the good ones) but it doesnt seem like they give a $hit because they are still producing these every day. I guess they can sleep at night because I guaranty you that none of the higher-ups have driven one like mine with the bad steering box.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 CRV, ā€˜14 Mazda3, ā€˜20 JTR (Gator)
The good news is youā€™ve driven the bad apple so you know what itā€™s like. Go ahead with your order and if it comes in with the steering issue just reject delivery until it is acceptable. Even if they have to take a steering box off a JT on the lot to make yours good. The other option is to buy off the lot after a thorough test drive to ensure you are satisfied. You may be able to find what you are looking for that way too. Good luck!

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I watched this video. You could see that one of his steering box mounting bolts was not tight. Solving this steering issue should be easy for Jeep. Check the sector shaft preload adjustment and the steering box mounting bolts, and everything should be good...

Rayzzz

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I have not looked to see what's being said about the loose steering problem on Facebook but I need to look. I purchased a new $65000.00 pontoon boat last year it started to sink the first week I had it and had to pull it off the lake so it wouldn't sink. After three weeks the dealer and local sales rep could not tell me if they would fix it. After 6 weeks I was going nuts on waiting so I went on to Facebook and started complaining about it and 5 minuets later I received a phone call from a lady in the office next to the VP of the boat company. That lady and VP got it set up to replace the bad pontoon on the boat and for my 25 hours on dealing with the problem sent me a check for $1000.00 and was happy to see they cared. I think we should take this to Facebook and all the social media we can. The steering on my Gladiator makes it no fun to drive and after 6 mounths it only has 900 miles on it.

My Jeep likes my money

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 CRV, ā€˜14 Mazda3, ā€˜20 JTR (Gator)
Iā€™m surprised that more owners have not taken this issue to the. Consumer advocate reporter at their local newspaper and TV station, along with reporting it to the federal safety board as suggested elsewhere in this thread. Having an aftermarket lift will probably be a factor that works against the owner as it is just an easy scape goat for manufacturing issues. But if you have the mopar lift installed by your dealer and it has the issue it at least keeps the focus on the dealer and FCA to address the problem. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence in this forum and I have heard from friends who have rented JTs with horrible steering so it shouldnā€™t be hard to put together a good story that will garner plenty of attention when it goes to press.
Itā€™s tough to go up against the dealer one on one, but when you put the power of the press on your side you should be able to get better response from the dealer. Dealer looks a lot better if he provides a positive solution in the story than if he just gives the FCA salute (shrug ā€ā™‚ Of the shoulders). Safety on the highway for you, your family, and others driving near you should not be ignored. They will replace a $500 tonneau cover due to poor fit, but wonā€™t replace a $600 steering box for safety?
I have not looked to see what's being said about the loose steering problem on Facebook but I need to look. I purchased a new $65000.00 pontoon boat last year it started to sink the first week I had it and had to pull it off the lake so it wouldn't sink. After three weeks the dealer and local sales rep could not tell me if they would fix it. After 6 weeks I was going nuts on waiting so I went on to Facebook and started complaining about it and 5 minuets later I received a phone call from a lady in the office next to the VP of the boat company. That lady and VP got it set up to replace the bad pontoon on the boat and for my 25 hours on dealing with the problem sent me a check for $1000.00 and was happy to see they cared. I think we should take this to Facebook and all the social media we can. The steering on my Gladiator makes it no fun to drive and after 6 mounths it only has 900 miles on it.

My Jeep likes my money
Sponsored