Sponsored

Magnuson Supercharger install: Nothing but problems

ryanlsmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Make sure the installer used the LATEST ONLINE tuning instructions document from this Magnuson link: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...-c3e5-4044-9237-2da607ec3059.pdf?v=1657131402
Steps 21 and 36 were updated in a recent revision to require a read and write of TCM calibration.

They are still shipping an old version of these printed instructions in the box with the unit that says there is no TCM calibration and to turn off TCM calibration, which is absolutely wrong. I just received my kit 3 weeks ago and noticed this issue!

The installation instruction document also seems to be updated on a regular basis and the paper copy shipped with the unit is also way out of date. This is the link to the latest version: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0511/7781/6216/files/89-89-61-037_RevN_Jeep_JL.pdf?v=1661811029
Still a bit vague, imo.

"*Note: On newer vehicles that do not allow you to upload the transmission because the module is not supported or needs an additional unlocking process, please also deselect the TCM."

What constitutes a newer/unsupported model?

"Select ā€œwrite calibrationā€ if the transmission file is included in your returned calibration file."

How do you know if it was included?

The hardware in this kit is phenomenal. Great build quality, near perfect fitment. Where it falls flat on its face is the tuning.
Sponsored

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAM, 2021 Bronco Big Bend, 1966 GMC Stepside
Occupation
Director of Recruitment for Pharma/Biotech/Device Consulting Firm
Out of curiosity... did you get the Gladiator 6x6? For 130k.... :lipssealed:
I, too, am curious about this. OP referenced a local Jeep dealer in another post, but I don't see them selling a JT for 130K.

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, that's what i'm thinking. I've got to round up all my receipts this week and call Geico to see if they'll insure the after market parts. What a headache.
lmao don't do that.

I inquired about doing a stated value policy with Geico years ago for my TJ. They came back to me and said "We will only insure modifications that are not cosmetic or performance related." Like wtf would those be, then? So I said forget about it.

Then a month later they sent me a letter asking for a list of all the modifications because they believed my vehicle to be heavily modified. I ignored them. They canceled my policy.

csandoval1988

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Jeep Lab

Address: 5811 N 50th St, Tampa, FL 33610
Hours:
10AM ā‹… Closes 6PM
Phone: (813) 446-8814

Super knowledgeable , fair pricing and friendly quick service. He is a veteran that operates out of his own shop and if he cant ever help me with a question he always points me in the direction of someone who does! Id def give him a ring!

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
About 6 months ago I was considering a supercharger. I asked in the forced induction group if anyone had experienced a truly turn-key experience on ANY supercharger install.

Not a single person responded positively. I asked the same question on the JL forums and got a similar non-response.

The problem is as far as I can tell UNFIXABLE. At least its unfixable if you ever intend to bring the truck to a dealer for any other work again.

Dave CS seems to be able to make a strong, reliable tune with great drivability. But when you use his tune, you lose the powertrain warranty offered by the supercharger manufacturer.

But wait it gets worse. There have been people with Dave's tune who were doing just fine, then they bring the truck into a dealer for some other item (don't forget that the bulk of the truck is still covered by the factory warranty) and the dealer reflashes the truck and Effs up all of Dave's work.

And his prior tune then doesn't work with the new software on the truck.

Its a freaking nightmare.

It is neither Magnusson's fault, nor Dave's fault.

Dave - if I got anything wrong, please feel free to correct me.

A supercharger is a reasonable choice if:

1) you have another vehicle to drive when this one is down.
2) you don't intend to bring it to a dealer ever again for maintenance or warranty work.
3) your expectations are set properly.
4) you can afford to repair/replace the motor on your own if there are any problems without it causing you financial hardship

Last edited:

Sponsored

cafecito

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, Granite Crystal
Occupation
Corporate Tool
Line X took SEVEN WEEKS to complete the spray on it. After my patience wore out I voiced my displeasure (politely) and was met with complete indifference after dropping $8500 on the spray job. I just don't get it.
I also have nothing good to say about LineX, but seriously, WTF did you ask them to do that cost $8500? That's what I would have expected the supercharger to cost...

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
About a year ago I was considering a supercharger. I asked in the forced induction group if anyone had experienced a truly turn-key experience on ANY supercharger install.

Not a single person responded positively. I asked the same question on the JL forums and got a similar non-response.

The problem is as far as I can tell UNFIXABLE. At least its unfixable if you ever intend to bring the truck to a dealer for any other work again.

Dave CS seems to be able to make a strong, reliable tune with great drivability. But when you use his tune, you lose the powertrain warranty offered by the supercharger manufacturer.

But wait it gets worse. There have been people with Dave's tune who were doing just fine, then they bring the truck into a dealer for some other item (don't forget that the bulk of the truck is still covered by the factory warranty) and the dealer reflashes the truck and Effs up all of Dave's work.

And his prior tune then doesn't work with the new software on the truck.

Its a freaking nightmare.

It is neither Magnusson's fault, nor Dave's fault.

Dave - if I got anything wrong, please feel free to correct me.

A supercharger is a reasonable choice if:

1) you have another vehicle to drive when this one is down.
2) you don't intend to bring it to a dealer ever again for maintenance or warranty work.
3) your expectations are set properly.
4) you can afford to repair/replace the motor on your own if there are any problems without it causing you financial hardship
Yep. I briefly considered it for a phase down the road, but will now NEVER consider it. EVER. Too likely to have problems.

Almost

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD & 09 JKU
I also have nothing good to say about LineX, but seriously, WTF did you ask them to do that cost $8500? That's what I would have expected the supercharger to cost...
Sounds like the whole truck was bed lined not just the bed. If not, I'm in the wrong business and may need to open a lineX shop.

cafecito

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, Granite Crystal
Occupation
Corporate Tool
Sounds like the whole truck was bed lined not just the bed. If not, I'm in the wrong business and may need to open a lineX shop.
Yea I've seen videos of people ripping out carpet and all that, but even then, $8500 seems extremely steep for what is essentially an elaborate spray paint job.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
OP joined last Friday and last seen on Saturday. Since nobody farted a miracle out their ass to solve his problems, doubt he will be back to answer questions or give closure.

Sponsored

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Entrepreneur
Make sure the installer used the LATEST ONLINE tuning instructions document from this Magnuson link: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...-c3e5-4044-9237-2da607ec3059.pdf?v=1657131402
Steps 21 and 36 were updated in a recent revision to require a read and write of TCM calibration.

They are still shipping an old version of these printed instructions in the box with the unit that says there is no TCM calibration and to turn off TCM calibration, which is absolutely wrong. I just received my kit 3 weeks ago and noticed this issue!

The installation instruction document also seems to be updated on a regular basis and the paper copy shipped with the unit is also way out of date. This is the link to the latest version: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0511/7781/6216/files/89-89-61-037_RevN_Jeep_JL.pdf?v=1661811029
Ohhhh they are doing the TCM now.
Yes, I confirmed this with them before purchasing my kit. Then when I received it and saw the old instructions I was kind of pissed until I saw the update online.
UPDATE:
Well, after actually getting and installing the kit I have come to find out that the TCM tuning is only for the '21 Gladiator Rubicon and Mohave according to Magnuson now. They at least admitted that the information they provided me was in error and apologized. They also reiterated the complexity of managing the wild variability across all the JL/JT Pentastar as Dave has discussed.

Turns out on my '19 JL with the untuned TCM and their latest ECM tune is OK, quite drivable and mostly enjoyable, but can be occasionally rough shifting.

I need emissions compliance in my jurisdiction, so I will probably stay with the factory tune and hope for an eventual upgrade. I am also attempting to keep an eye on engine health using Blackstone oil analysis so hopefully I will see if any issues start to brew.

Last edited:

SuperJ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Meeting Attender and Email Responder
I felt the same as OP after installing my Magnuson and their tuning. It flat out sucked. But I found Dave on this forum and he has been a huge help and my JT is now very near OE driveability. A few hiccups here and there but the extra power is worth it. Besides the fun factor, it has power anywhere and usually without downshifting. Seems like the stock setup was always wound tight up any sort of incline. I can take hills in 6 or 7 now that used to cause a downshift to 3 or 4. And mine is a 21 so the throttle body programming is a challenge. You should get good results with a 2020 model once you find the right tune.

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Holy schitt balls manā€¦. Iā€™m baffled by the $8500 bedliner and dumbfounded by the $130k JT Overland. Iā€™ll keep the rest of my smart-ass speculative comments to myselfā€¦

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Money Pit
Occupation
Foole
Holy schitt balls manā€¦. Iā€™m baffled by the $8500 bedliner and dumbfounded by the $130k JT Overland. Iā€™ll keep the rest of my smart-ass speculative comments to myselfā€¦
No kidding. I was wincing at a $60K+ factory build but $130K???
Sponsored