Sponsored

Max Tow Package Availability? Now a Max Payload thread

surge101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Well, the 1700 lb advertised payload is new - it used to be 1600 lb. Either way, the payload for a specific truck will vary based on what options are put on it. The more numerous and heavy the options the lower your payload is. Payload includes all passengers, payload, and tongue weight (when towing) combined, though they factor in 150 lb for a driver. I've gathered there are two classes of suspension with different overall weight ratings. The base Sport, Sport S with normal tow package, and Overland have a 5800 lb GVWR. Subtract your curb weight from the GVWR and you have your payload rating. This is why the Overland has the lowest payload capacity - it has a lot of options standard and the lower 5800 lb GVWR.

The Sport S with no tow package is a special configuration as it is the only one with standard width axles that gets the higher 6250 lb GVWR. This configuration with a manual (lighter than an automatic) and pretty much no options will get you close to that 1700 lb payload. The Sport S with max tow package and Rubicon both get slightly wider axles with the higher 6250 lb GVWR. They are also a bit heavier, so payload will be a bit less than the Sport S with no tow. However, they also get better gearing (4.10 vs 3.73) for towing so they are rated to tow the most. The Rubicon has several hundred pounds of extra weight, so it's payload and towing capacities are actually less than the Sport S with max tow. Though the Rubicon can still haul and tow more than the Sport, Sport S, or Overland with regular tow package. Mine (Rubicon with manual transmission) should come in at around 1300 lb payload rating. There is a chart in the Gladiator brochure that shows where payload and tow ratings fall based on trim and transmission choice. I've done quite a bit of research on this over the past few months, though @basicGlad dug up the most important bits.

Oh, and the window sticker for a Sport S will be as you described above. It will just say it's the Sport trim with the 24S package. That is, by definition, a Sport S. A base Sport will not have the 24S (or 23S) package and will have manual locks and roll up windows.
I'm new to trucks and towing etc... so the tow rating and GVWR aren't related? I have a Sport S with max tow, so the GVWR is 6250? I should be able to tow 7000?
Sponsored

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
I'm new to trucks and towing etc... so the tow rating and GVWR aren't related? I have a Sport S with max tow, so the GVWR is 6250? I should be able to tow 7000?
It is all very connected and very confusing. For towing you need to look at the GCWR (gross combined weight rating) . You can't haul maximum payload and tow maximum trailer at the same time. And payload includes passengers and such. It takes a degree in mathematics to figure it all out.

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
It is all very connected and very confusing. For towing you need to look at the GCWR (gross combined weight rating) . You can't haul maximum payload and tow maximum trailer at the same time. And payload includes passengers and such. It takes a degree in mathematics to figure it all out.
If you are at max haul of 7000, you have to subtract tongue weight from the GCWR and a 7000 lb trailer should have a tongue weight 10% of it's weight, so you need to take 700 lbs off the GCWR and that is all the weight you can have in the truck including occupants.

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
If both are maxed, don't expect to go up any big mountains.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
I have read elsewhere that the axles for the max tow and Rubicon are not exactly the same. The thing I heard is that the carriers are different. I suspect this is just like the steel bumper disappearing and is a supply issue. Being this is about the biggest feather in the specs cap for Jeep I don't think it is going away.
Your logic is interfering with my conspiracy theory!

Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I'm glad I wasn't going crazy trying to find the part where the GVWR can add 150lbs for the driver. It's nowhere in my manuals, but I know I came across it somewhere officially by Jeep.

The Gross Combined Weight for a Sport/S Automatic with the Max Tow Package is 12,800lbs. page 256 of the manual. The max gross trailer weight is 7650lbs (but really I have read you should only tow 60-75% of the max tow of any vehicle if you are hauling anything but a short distance). Of that towing limit, if I recall correctly because the max trailer tongue weight is 765lbs, you add that to the payload. So the payload is going to be say 1500lbs, minus the weight of passengers, minus 765lbs.

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
I'm glad I wasn't going crazy trying to find the part where the GVWR can add 150lbs for the driver. It's nowhere in my manuals, but I know I came across it somewhere officially by Jeep.

The Gross Combined Weight for a Sport/S Automatic with the Max Tow Package is 12,800lbs. page 256 of the manual. The max gross trailer weight is 7650lbs (but really I have read you should only tow 60-75% of the max tow of any vehicle if you are hauling anything but a short distance). Of that towing limit, if I recall correctly because the max trailer tongue weight is 765lbs, you add that to the payload. So the payload is going to be say 1500lbs, minus the weight of passengers, minus 765lbs.
Yea, I haven't seen any mention of 150 pounds for driver weight already calculated in. But seems it must be out there somewhere as multiple people are saying it.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Yea, I haven't seen any mention of 150 pounds for driver weight already calculated in. But seems it must be out there somewhere as multiple people are saying it.
They all read it in the same place on the internet - so it must be true...

giskard

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW i3s
Tow rating and GVWR are not directly related, no. All Sport S Gladiators with max tow are rated for the max tow capacity of 7650 pounds. There's a grid toward the end of the Gladiator brochure that lists what the tow rating is for each trim, transmission, and tow package combination. However, when you hook up a trailer to your truck the tongue will put some weight on the hitch. That weight contributes to your payload so it means you cannot put your max payload in the truck (passengers and cargo) and tow a trailer at the same time. Tongue weight should be 10-15% of the trailer weight, so pulling a 7650 lb trailer means a minimum of 765 lb on your hitch. If your max payload is, say, 1500 lb then you would only have 1500 - 765 = 735 lb of usable payload left.

Sponsored

giskard

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW i3s
They all read it in the same place on the internet - so it must be true...
I've seen the 150 lb driver allowance mentioned several times here on the forum over the past several months and I could swear I've seen it in some sort of official Jeep documentation somewhere, but I can't seem to find it now. It's entirely possible I'm mistaken on that front.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've seen the 150 lb driver allowance mentioned several times here on the forum over the past several months and I could swear I've seen it in some sort of official Jeep documentation somewhere, but I can't seem to find it now. It's entirely possible I'm mistaken on that front.
I am almost certain I saw it on one of the Jeep.com pages regarding the payload. It was an astric and in small print. I was confused why the numbers were not adding up and then reading and adding the 150lb driver allowance got me to the 1600lb payload mentioned elsewhere on Jeep's documents.

DTDHI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota Tundra, 2014 Toyota Prius, 1999 Jeep Cherokee, 2018 ZX14R
On 24B and 24S I still see Max Tow as an option to be ordered it's not greyed out or missing entirely.

HotSpringsJL

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL bade sport
On 24B and 24S I still see Max Tow as an option to be ordered it's not greyed out or missing entirely.
Yes the build site is showing the Max Tow option available again.

I ordered a Mac tow sport s on 10/24 and already have a VIN and shipping date.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes the build site is showing the Max Tow option available again.

I ordered a Mac tow sport s on 10/24 and already have a VIN and shipping date.
Still not available on building a Sport S, using the Jeep website, as of this moment.
Sponsored