Are Falcon 3.3 SP2 overrated?

• Total voters

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Have a full set (rubicon) for sale on Whidbey- come grab them $50 šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚

Shocks are truly an investmentā€¦ and there are some good points being made about how long a vehicle is being keptā€¦ what is the intended use? How well will they perform? Etc. I am surprised to not see more folks chiming in on rebuilding shocks at homeā€¦ power tank sells a nitrogen kit for a a reasonable priceā€¦. Shock oil isnā€™t that bad, and is a great excuse to spend a few hours in the garage drinking beerā€¦ Bilstien 8100ā€™s are pretty straight forward- havenā€™t heard them mentioned yet. Ran their bypass on our jk and loved them. The ability to dial in pressures at different strokes is where itā€™s at.
The only other shock I would have put on the table for consideration (I think they stopped making) was the Fallon aDAPT shocks for their live adjustability.

šŸ¤·šŸ½ā€ā™‚ļø $700 every 40-50k miles seems crazy to not move into something that can be rebuilt at home. Though I suppose some folks have more money than time/patience. (Not a stab- just jealousy;) )

Knowing the existing valve/shim stack and weight of oil in the shock would be great to know, THEN you could start to custom tune the shock to individual needs instead of a general range for a particular vehicle.

I've rebuilt front forks (just long shocks) on motorcycles and you can really get close before you start turning the adjusters.

Some people would be really shocked (HAH) at how dirty it gets inside a shock in a short period of time. All that crude starts plugging up the valve holes.
Sponsored

culdbbi

First Name
Kasandra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mojave Gladiator
Occupation
PM
Have a full set (rubicon) for sale on Whidbey- come grab them $50 šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚

Bilstien 8100ā€™s are pretty straight forward- havenā€™t heard them mentioned yet.
$50 turns into $150 with the drive from south sound area to Whidbey. Did it for a rear steel bumper. Nice ride though.

The Bilsteins don't make a 8100 for a 0" lift. I suppose most of us are still stock (at least I am, my wife is short as in 5'-0"). But if you have a couple inches on the rig they do look like a viable option.

If I can't find some reasonably priced mojave takeoffs I might hit ya up.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I like the idea of doing home rebuilds. For exactly that reason already given. A few hours in the garage with a beer. Iā€™ve thought about building engines in the garage, just for fun.

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
$50 turns into $150 with the drive from south sound area to Whidbey. Did it for a rear steel bumper. Nice ride though.

The Bilsteins don't make a 8100 for a 0" lift. I suppose most of us are still stock (at least I am, my wife is short as in 5'-0"). But if you have a couple inches on the rig they do look like a viable option.

If I can't find some reasonably priced mojave takeoffs I might hit ya up.
Just keep an eye out ... these are sold but I see this type of deal about once a month. Just gotta jump on it.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/mojave-front-shocks.66693/

At the moment I am looking for a steel bumper. I check Craigslist, here, JL forum, Offerup, and Facebook Marketplace every single day. Takes about a minute.

Sponsored

Huhnowwhat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Mojave JT
Occupation
Project Cat Herder
Desert Speed Shock Tuning in Utah rebuilt and retuned mine when I went with Synergy springs.

Moe-Jave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
This is a great thread! It really captures a lot of how I feel and think about all the time as I get closer to rebuilding or replacing my JTM Fox 2.5s. I can see why this is such a tough decision.

My built JKUR had a great Teraflex suspension paired with King shocks (with more overall travel). I loved it and Iā€™m also a big Teraflex fan (great application-specific engineering). Iā€™ve said that my JTM feels about 80% as good for high-speed use, and Iā€™d stand by that.

I have watched a ā€stock classā€ of racing with JTMs that simply swap in King shocks with great results. I suspect part of that choice is the ease in rebuilding them. As pointed out, many shops will rebuild King shocksā€¦

I have been keeping an eye out for an extra set of JTM Fox 2.5 shocks but may go the King shocks route again instead. Iā€™ve been happy with my mostly stock JTM and curious if anyone has simply swapped in King shocks on an otherwise stock JTM. If I got an extra set of JTM Fox shocks, Iā€™d have them retuned while being rebuilt.

Beungood

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Silverado Duramax, 2001 Toyota 4Runner 95 Harley Davidson
Iā€™m with you. I just told her, no birthday or Christmas presents for me this year. Iā€™ve got it handled. She knows I ordered shocks, and didnā€™t ask the price. I didnā€™t volunteer it. :)
If you had her making sandwiches she wouldn't have time to worry about your shocks...

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
If you had her making sandwiches she wouldn't have time to worry about your shocks...
Iā€™m not one to ask my spouse to make me sandwiches. Sheā€™d skimp on the pickles for sure.

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
ROFLMAO! Started the day off with a laugh!
Iā€™m glad. But the pickle thing isnā€™t true. So it was all based on a lie. But she definitely doesnā€™t use the right amount of Durkeeā€™s. :)

Stan H

First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon 2021
Occupation
Safety Consultant
Timing on this thread was great! I just rolled over 70,000 last week. It's probably time for a rebuild. Shock Surplus sounds like the way to go. Much more reasonable cost than I was expecting. I can drive my JK while I'm waiting.
I know I had the Regular Fox shocks on my Rubicon those things was wore out at 45-50000. Had to go for quite awhile for upgrading to the Falcons. I would call Tera flex. I know Tera flex says that Falcons are calibrated to work with their springs. So just placing those on may be to much. I changed my springs to teraflex springs and matched them to the falcons.

monkeyman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon---2004 Wrangler TJ
2020 Mojave - RPM 2.5 steering, Falcon Stabilizer, Core 4x4 TB, 37' Falken WP AT3W, 5:13 regear, HD Ball joints, JCR Bed Rack, Metalcloak Armor...

My Mojave Fox 2.5's are due for a rebuild. After going down the rabbit hole, talking to reputable shops here in Colorado, and reading 300 different threads; I have decided the following:

The only place who will rebuild the OEM Fox bypass shocks, is Shock Surplus. I will be sending them in for a rebuild. I'm most likely planning on reselling these once rebuilt.

I am replacing them with the Falcon 3.3 SP2 shocks, planning on running them on soft and adjusting from there.

Before I hear "WhY wOuLD yOu bUY a mOjaVe AnD rEPlaCe tHe sHoCks iDiOT".. hear me out. I have run my Mojave to 40k miles with a 60/40 split between highway and dirt. Specifically hunting "overland" (i.e.. logging roads,, 7/10 technical trails, Moab) oriented here in the Rocky Mountains. The OEM shocks have been great but are shot. I researched my options for a couple months and have decided on the cited replacement for the following reasons.

Specific Mojave bushing kit for larger diameter front bolts.
Adjustability
Longevity (Don't want to have a continuous rebuild in the back of my mind)
Cost vs Feature set
Better control and handling to/on trail

Has anyone swapped their Mojave shocks? Am I running towards a cliff of disappointment?
Falcon adjustables should have come stockā€¦They are worlds apart from foxā€¦

gouacats

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM; JK; WK2
I found a place local to me that will rebuild them for $150/shock with a 3 day turnaround (as long as I wait until after dune season). That's the way I'll go since I won't have to worry about shipping.

Hockeydad55

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTM
At some point, those Falcons will need to be rebuilt as well. Not sure what mileage folks are getting out of them. When they need the rebuild, they have to go back to Teraflex, as it is my understanding that they don't sell/offer rebuild kits for them. Not sure if that is an issue for you down the road.
You wonā€™t have to worry about the falcons for 3 years and they stand by there warranty. I love mine set at 1 for rock crawling 2.4 -2.8 for every day use and 3 for flying down the desert.
Sponsored