Sponsored

Mopar Accessorized 2020 Jeep Gladiator (in Sting Gray)

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
curious, what's the purpose of a roof top tent? keep you dry in case of a flood?
It's a tent off the ground that's always with you and can often be much larger. They've been around for a few years and at this point are kind of a go-to addition to a standard overlanding build out. So yah, in case of flood, but also a different (expensive) way to have a convenient tent... they only take a minute to set up, so you as long as you parked fairly level when you arrived, you just hop out, remove the cover, unfold the tent and adjust a couple of poles. They're neat.

Sponsored

JTRUBI

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Main reasons for a Roof Top Tent is the ability to stay away for critters, creepy crawlers, and animals (bears esp). Keeps you high and dry as well, and the ability to open up and close down camp in a couple minutes. This is great for those that are doing a long expedition trip where you are moving camp sites daily, also gives the ability to camp almost anywhere you can park your vehicle ( on a trail, in a forest, mountain, in a clearing on the side of a road, in a parking lot to stop for some rest)

There are also some downside ( cost, weight high up) but overall they are a great addition.

curious, what's the purpose of a roof top tent? keep you dry in case of a flood?

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
While I love the idea of a RTT, my wife is a frequent nighttimer pee'er... so she'd end up killing herself on our first camping trip.

I do like the idea of the RTT style tent like the Ursa Minor on Jeeps, or the popup in the GoFastCamper... they let you climb down into the vehicle before going out... but again, probably not for her.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Main reasons for a Roof Top Tent is the ability to stay away for critters, creepy crawlers, and animals (bears esp). Keeps you high and dry as well, and the ability to open up and close down camp in a couple minutes. This is great for those that are doing a long expedition trip where you are moving camp sites daily, also gives the ability to camp almost anywhere you can park your vehicle ( on a trail, in a forest, mountain, in a clearing on the side of a road, in a parking lot to stop for some rest)

There are also some downside ( cost, weight high up) but overall they are a great addition.
Pretty cool. I'll have to look into these a bit.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
I have to call B.S. on the protection from bears. Bears climb tree, they climb on hoods and roofs, and they can get in a RTT if they want. Best protection from bears is hanging a proper bear bag or use of bear canisters.

Also I bet I can get my traditional tent set up just in about the same time frame as a RTT. I will give you that not putting the tent on the forest floor does lessen your impact on nature, but then again that point is negated by the fact that you just drove your jeep to wherever you are camping.

RTT are very popular with the overlanding crowd. Which is cool, to each there own. They have there advantages, protection from bears is not one of them. They also look cool. I personally use my Jeep to drive farther up forest roads than most vehicles can go, from there I get out and hike in further before I set up camp. For me you can't beat a nice light, compact, 3 season tent.

BodhiMac

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
I use mine to keep me off the ground. I have a habit of putting a ground tent in a low spot and getting wet in the rain. For me it’s easier but they do have drawbacks. Mine stays on my truck year round, plus it has the added benefit of a place to stay if I’ve had a little to much to drink.

Sponsored

JTRUBI

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Def’n not saying a bear can’t still get you but it does help being higher off the ground. Nothing will fully protect you but it does help.

I have a traditional ground tent. And yes they are pretty quick to set up, but an RTT is just a bit quicker.

There are always pros and cons to both a ground tent and a roof top tent. Normally the price of a roof top tent is a big factor as it is significantly more than the average ground tent. But it comes down to preference and how often you will actually use it.

Theres lots of good videos that compare the two types, ultimately it’s soemthing to consider for the seasoned camper.

I have to call B.S. on the protection from bears. Bears climb tree, they climb on hoods and roofs, and they can get in a RTT if they want. Best protection from bears is hanging a proper bear bag or use of bear canisters.

Also I bet I can get my traditional tent set up just in about the same time frame as a RTT. I will give you that not putting the tent on the forest floor does lessen your impact on nature, but then again that point is negated by the fact that you just drove your jeep to wherever you are camping.

RTT are very popular with the overlanding crowd. Which is cool, to each there own. They have there advantages, protection from bears is not one of them. They also look cool. I personally use my Jeep to drive farther up forest roads than most vehicles can go, from there I get out and hike in further before I set up camp. For me you can't beat a nice light, compact, 3 season tent.

dylanmitchell

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cherokee Classic, 2006 LX470 the 100 series Land Crusier
I want to hear about bed mounted spare tire mounting options for 35's and 37's Might be enough room underneath for 35's but I'd want to relocate the spare tire to the bed to clean up the undercarriage and protect the spare. Could even fab some steel plate to smooth it out over rocks.

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
The spare is 35" --

EDIT: Official word is you can only fit 35" under the bed from the factory. Anything bigger will require modification.

Yes unfortunately.

From the pics, it definitely looks like the smaller 37s could fit. Plus, I'm sure that flashing could be removed and probably run most 37s.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
One last RTT comment from me... when you get up on a rainy/wet/dewy morning, its much less annoying to just "bop" the rain off from inside real quick, then close it (making sure to let it air out asap when you get to the next top, or home.) If you have a big ass dome tent like my family uses, it's annoying if there is any moisture on it when packing up.

That being said, I've fallen hard for the clamshell tents now instead of the standard RTT. I could get a RTT that would fit 4, so that'd be nice, but at this point I have a BIG trailer that serves the purpose for a whole family that's traveling.
Sponsored