Sponsored

MOPAR Corning Guerilla Glass worth price for overlanding journey?

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
Is it worth the peace-of-mind it might provide for a long overlanding journey?
Sponsored

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
I would investigate it when the current windshield needs to be replaced but I couldn’t justify ripping out perfectly good glass just to put in stronger.

OP
OP

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That makes perfect sense, but as my wife would attest to...I don't always makes sense. Just thinking if I'm 400-500 miles from the nearest Jeep dealership and my windshield breaks....in northern AK or Canada. Wanted know if there was anyone that has installed it and used in circumstances in which I may find myself. Was it worth the cost? BTW...thanks fellow PA resident.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
I'd look into protection films if you didn't need to change the glass.

MoparMan

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Existence
The problem is, it doesn’t exist yet for the JL/JT. I looked into it after breaking my windshield a couple of weeks ago with like 1,500 miles on my truck. Best way to avoid chips is don’t get behind large trucks on the road and stay off the highway (gas mileage sucks on the highway anyway due to our lack of aerodynamics).

Sponsored

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
That makes perfect sense, but as my wife would attest to...I don't always makes sense. Just thinking if I'm 400-500 miles from the nearest Jeep dealership and my windshield breaks....in northern AK or Canada. Wanted know if there was anyone that has installed it and used in circumstances in which I may find myself. Was it worth the cost? BTW...thanks fellow PA resident.
no worries. My wife says I don’t make sense either. Like when I just upgraded my perfectly good 35s for 37s. Made total sense to me. And nice to meet a fellow PA Jeeper! I would love to take a trip like that in my Gladiator.

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
The problem is, it doesn’t exist yet for the JL/JT. I looked into it after breaking my windshield a couple of weeks ago with like 1,500 miles on my truck. Best way to avoid chips is don’t get behind large trucks on the road and stay off the highway (gas mileage sucks on the highway anyway due to our lack of aerodynamics).
Here you go:
https://racingopticsjeep.com/

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
After replacing my windshield with a new Mopar one, I found 3 little pits on it within a week. So, a few months ago I installed Racing Optics protective film on my windshield. It has 3 layers with 2 tear offs. It has been used in racing for years. Optically, it is fantastic, and I am super excited about the protection. It also seems super hard to scratch. I have already heard some big hits on the windshield with no cracking or pitting. So far, I am super happy. Here is a link to my install and pics. I think it is fantastic and the peace of mind is great ! Plus, you keep the stock Mopar windshield. The technical help and explanations at Racing Optics Jeep are 1st rate.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/anybody-got-gorilla-glass.23797/page-3#post-516872

link to Racing Optics
https://www.Racingopticsjeep.com

EstoJTR

First Name
Erx
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR, 2014 Cayman S, 2020 RDX Advance
+1 for Racing Optics.

Although I didn't have the smoothest experience with the DIY install, the film is optically great, my ACC continues to function fine(I couldn't find confirmation of this anywhere in advance) and it gives the peace of mind as others have mentioned due to multiple layers of tough film. Next time I replace it I might talk to my tint folks and see if they'll do it for me for a few bucks, as I couldn't get it quite perfect, but YMMV.

bshillam

First Name
Bryrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.portlandres.com
Vehicle(s)
Over 60 prior. Current 2001 Isuzu Trooper, 2016 BMW 4 series convertible, 2020 Gladiator Max Tow Stingray
Occupation
Real Estate Broker and Yacht Broker, 503-781-9967
After replacing my windshield with a new Mopar one, I found 3 little pits on it within a week. So, a few months ago I installed Racing Optics protective film on my windshield. It has 3 layers with 2 tear offs. It has been used in racing for years. Optically, it is fantastic, and I am super excited about the protection. It also seems super hard to scratch. I have already heard some big hits on the windshield with no cracking or pitting. So far, I am super happy. Here is a link to my install and pics. I think it is fantastic and the peace of mind is great ! Plus, you keep the stock Mopar windshield. The technical help and explanations at Racing Optics Jeep are 1st rate.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/anybody-got-gorilla-glass.23797/page-3#post-516872

link to Racing Optics
https://www.Racingopticsjeep.com
I get mine today. The way I justified it, save the windshield once and it's paid for itself. $199 and had great reviews. I have had several Wranglers w/ chips and cracks in the windshield. It would be nice to save this factory one.

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I get mine today. The way I justified it, save the windshield once and it's paid for itself. $199 and had great reviews. I have had several Wranglers w/ chips and cracks in the windshield. It would be nice to save this factory one.
Some tips on the install...

1. Clean the windshield and everything around it. Then, clean it again... Then, clean it again... Keep cleaning it even though you think it is clean.. Try to be in a dust free area. You do not want a piece of dirt or dust under the film. This is the most important part. There must be not even a spec on the windshield. A spec of dirt will give you a little bubble that you cannot get out.
2. When using the squeegee to get the water out, push hard, use your weight. The film is thick, so, you have to push hard while you squeeze the water out.
3. Put it out in the sun when you are done. This will dry out the rest of the water.
4. I did not put the race optics sticker on underneath the film.

OP
OP

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
I wonder if this stuff works with the collision avoidance/adaptive cruise control equipment by the rear view mirror. Supposedly if you have those systems you're supposed to get it recalibrated after a window gets replaced, and I'd imagine this may require a similar recalibration.

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
it gives no "peace of mind" no better than the mopar factory one
Sponsored