First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Area Director
Its all about setup and preparation!!! Towed like a dream for 3500 miles in 10 days. From DFW to the Black Hills in SD to Yellowstone and Back to DFW. Could use a little more power on the big hills!!!
My Set Up:
1) Correct height adjust hitch to make sure trailer is level.
2) Redarc break controller dialed in.
3) Firestone air bags set to 45llbs to keep Gladiator level.
4) 4.10 axle ratio.
5) Correct hitch weight 10% of total, mine was about 650lbs.
6) Brakes on both trailer axles.
7) Sweet spot speed. Around 74 seemed to be the perfect speed.
8) Did not need tow mirrors... Could see fine with car hauler being low....
Smart/wise towing works every time for me!!!!
Jeep Gladiator MotorTrend 2021 Gladiator Review - Terrifying Towing? MVIMG_20200830_111144
Sponsored

Dewyaw

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock; 1987 Jeep Wrangler Laredo; 1988 Porsche 911, 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro, 1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4. Not all at the same time.
Let me guess....they complained they couldn't heel-toe while hauling a trailer??

Skull

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Occupation
Aircraft Technician
I had no issues towing a v-neck enclosed trailer about 600 miles that had two full dress motorcycles in it approx 5000 lbs. other than wanting more power at 70 mph...no sway, no squat ,very stable even before TSB steering box. Put on mirror extensions inflated rear tires to 50 psi. Mileage averaged 11.5 mpg.

Sponsored

Indavis01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2016 Volvo Xc90 Polestar
Occupation
Finder of bad stuff and people.
Vehicle Showcase
Towed a large self propelled Scissor lift last week (should have taken pictures). Total weight was about 5200, probably had a bit more tongue weight than I would have liked because of the forward securing on heavy tilt trailer. No issues, towed only on flat roads, but had no problem. No Weight distribution and had surge brakes. I have towed trailers weekly for 20 years and drove 32ft bobtail with a trailer often when I was younger. This wasn't bad, towed fine- 60 on the highway. If it was my trailer and I towed something bigger than polaris (3000 lb with trailer)- I'd spring for the controller and distribution hitch. Never felt unsafe, never swayed, did have some squat (see tongue comment). This is like consumer reports testing Jeep Wranglers. Nope

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
If you are above 60% (entirely proprietary self ascribed and unscientific opinion)of the factory max "tow rating" for anything more than brief periods you will at best be miserable.
You are painting with a very broad brush. Now I realize that probably most in this thread has an automatic.. I have a manual; towed 3500 lbs this summer in the hot weather for about 1000 miles on interstates. With my MT Overland, 3500 lbs is 75% of the max rating. I was pulling a Honda sedan on a U-haul tow dolly with surge brakes. There were no issues at all. Generally used 4th, but on flat ground could use 5th OK. Speed 60-65.

Twilightwheelin

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTrubi JL , JK , WJ
I can't tell you how many times I've had this "argument" with people.
"MUH F150 will tow 12,000 POUNDS! SAYS SO IN THE BOOK!"

No, it won't. No for long, not safely and certainly not comfortably.

"UH HUH! I SEEN THE VIDEO!"

Seriously, marketing any light duty truck as a "tow vehicle" should be illegal. Will it tow something? Sure it will. Is it a "tow vehicle"? Absolutely not.

If the tongue weight of the trailer you are putting behind a Gladiator exceeds 350 pounds, you are headed for misery.
An f150 with a 5.0 will tow 5k-7k wayyyy better than a galdiator cmon now .

Mkcagle

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Gladiator Sport S w/max tow
The Mohave has softer suspension than the max tow The Gladiator does have an automatic sway control.
for the truck, not the trailer. that confuses a lot of folks.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
. Yes when you do not have the rediculous overhead of todays current "half tons" you have to do it right. Remember towing before the year 2000? The Gladiator will pretty much outperform any half ton built before 2003. But you cannot set up your payload stupid.
IMO you need to do it right even with a full-size truck.......
Heck, I used a weight distributing hitch with sway control when I have my FULL SIZE trucks - one a 3/4 ton 4x4 the other a 1/2 ton 4x4.
I'd never tow a camper with less than that type of hitch. I'd also want the rig to be LEVEL.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
for the truck, not the trailer. that confuses a lot of folks.
Sorry, that is not correct.........it is indeed TSC.
From the book in case some didn't read it (apparently some didn't?)

Trailer Sway Control (TSC)
Trailer Sway Control (TSC) uses sensors in the vehicle to
recognize an excessively swaying trailer and will take the
appropriate actions to attempt to stop the sway. TSC will
become active automatically once an excessively swaying
trailer is recognized.
NOTE:
TSC cannot stop all trailers from swaying. Always use
caution when towing a trailer and follow the trailer tongue
weight recommendations. Refer to “Trailer Towing” in
“Starting And Operating” for further information.
When TSC is functioning, the “ESC Activation/Malfunction
Indicator Light” will flash, the engine power may be
reduced, and you may feel the brakes being applied to individual wheels to attempt to stop the trailer from swaying.
TSC is disabled when the ESC system is in the “Partial Off”
or “Full Off” modes

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
IMO you need to do it right even with a full-size truck.......
Heck, I used a weight distributing hitch with sway control when I have my FULL SIZE trucks - one a 3/4 ton 4x4 the other a 1/2 ton 4x4.
I'd never tow a camper with less than that type of hitch. I'd also want the rig to be LEVEL.
Agreed 100%, the point I was trying to make is blockhead car reviewers who have never towed a load for real purposes are so used to the trucks of today, with overkill capacity, that they can throw a trailer on without a care in the world, and the over abundant brakes, stability control, and HP will yank it down the road without drama. Unfortunately in this day and age everything has to be designed for the lowest common denominator.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
You are painting with a very broad brush. Now I realize that probably most in this thread has an automatic.. I have a manual; towed 3500 lbs this summer in the hot weather for about 1000 miles on interstates. With my MT Overland, 3500 lbs is 75% of the max rating. I was pulling a Honda sedan on a U-haul tow dolly with surge brakes. There were no issues at all. Generally used 4th, but on flat ground could use 5th OK. Speed 60-65.
Did you read my proprietary disclaimer?

Your manual transmission Gladiator is de-rated to tow because the clutch/transmission is made out of glass and crayons. (yes I'm being sarcastic and hyperbolic)

The issue with tow ratings, and where I object to them generally occurs because the towed load is waaaaaay more than the suspension wants, and the front end gets light as you see in this journalists "evaluation". Look at the photo I screenshot and posted and you will see where they went wrong, but they were encouraged to do wrong by a factory tow rating that is designed to sell trucks, not reflect honest real world application.

Smess

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel, 2021 392, 1982 J10
The Gladiator is equivalent to that GM abortion they made I cant remember what it was called. The goofy thing had the pick up bed in the back. Did everyone compare that to a Ram, Silverado, or a Superduty.

It is a JEEP that has a REMOVABLE TOP and a SMALL PICK UP BED and a SHORT WHEEL BASE. If it has a 65-7600 tow capacity, you should tow 4k max as its not a matter of if my big bad this that and the other baddest motor ever made can pull it, can it CONTROL it and STOP it with a SHORT WHEEl BASE and less than a 3/4 TON SUSPENSION.

It does not even come with an electric brake controller, the Airstream with its great aerodynamics has surge brakes?

Covid is making people so stupid I just hope they don't reproduce while they are stuck at home bored.

Keep comparing full size pick ups to a topless one omg!!!
Sponsored