First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 3.0
Occupation
Cyber Security
In Colorado, it’s my understanding that your car is an extension of your house. Although some counties are pushing hard one sided agendas and do require long guns empty and other regulations.

I keep mine on me. Especially in transitional spaces like gas stations.

That being said, I do like the under the rear seat lock boxes, but If it was me I’d mount it through the plastic into the medal body of the jeep.

Way to many perps like nice looking jeeps… frankly they are not hard to gain access too… even if locked.
Sponsored

HankB

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport, Porsche Panamera 4S
Occupation
Retired
I now have a similar Hornaday lock box that goes behind the rear seat and it and the seat back are locked when in use. But only when I have to leave the gun in the car (government buildings, post office etc.). Otherwise it is on my person. I have done defensive shooting force on force simulations and getting a carry gun out in those conditions can be difficult if you have not practiced. So a gun inside a console could be a better location. My current EDC is a PPK/S in 380. Not quite Jame Bond's EDC of choice, but finding .32 cal is nearly impossible.

In Mass guns can be locked in vehicles but it, and the ammo, must be locked in separate containers. Glove boxes, consoles and trunks are not considered lockable containers. As an FYI any one who travels out of their state (hunting or competitions, for example) is covered by Federal Law that is very similar to our rules in Mass.

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
As an FYI any one who travels out of their state (hunting or competitions, for example) is covered by Federal Law that is very similar to our rules in Mass.
Doesn’t apply to everyone, but almost everyone ;)

California has very similar laws stating glove boxes and trunks are not considered safe storage devices. I would imagine this would be the same in at least half the states out there.

As a general rule I plan my trips accordingly. IfI know I’ll be at the post office or a courthouse I just keep my off duty at home. Any other time I have it on me, even traveling state to state. I cannot pass through the front gate of my workplace with a firearm, even the local police can’t do that. So we have lockers at the front gate to bench our equipment in while at work.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Leaving guns in a vehicle, regardless of what kind of lock box you choose, puts more stolen guns on the streets. Nothing good comes from it. No one needs a gun in their vehicle. The argument that more guns protects more people is hilarious. Let me know how more guns prevented a single mass shooting in 2022. What a joke.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
The center console locks as well, and with a secondary locked container inside it can slow a thief down, as well as serve as a legal storage device for a firearm. You’d be surprised at how many people think a locked glovebox is a legal acceptable place to store a firearm. Most states, that would be unlawful.
Which states have an actual definition for acceptable car storage?

Sponsored

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
WHAT? I thought a window gun rack came standard issue with any truck in Texas!
Well now, that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish. Long guns in Texas can be carried openly, even in your truck. You do take the chance, though, of getting pulled over by a new nugget that isn't familiar with the rules. In the city, you don't see gun racks hardly at all, and you sure don't see as many out in the country as you used to.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
Leaving guns in a vehicle, regardless of what kind of lock box you choose, puts more stolen guns on the streets. Nothing good comes from it. No one needs a gun in their vehicle. The argument that more guns protects more people is hilarious. Let me know how more guns prevented a single mass shooting in 2022. What a joke.
What makes no sense is blaming the law-abiding for the actions of criminals.

Granting wishes

https://nationalfile.com/armed-woma...ass-shooting-at-charleston-apartment-complex/

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62217263

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I was a law enforcement officer. Carried for many years. I own one still locked up at home. I no longer carry out and about. The chances are higher of a stray bullet hitting a bystander than saving the day when one CCWs. Not saying dont carry. Just remember that.

People say…oh I have been through stress scenario training. I know how to use it….No one can understand the real life gun out scenario unless you have been there. I have. It was my job. I am sure we have military veterans on the forum that have.

My fellow officer and friend was shot over 15 times. My sergeant was shot in the chest with a shotgun. Your vision closes in and the first shot kills your hearing. Everything around and behind your target blurs out.

Anyway, Avoid a console box since of the two best that are out, once seen a burglar will work to pry open. They are not secure on all 4 sides inside console. Since you CCW on your person then lock in car at work and go back to on person carry once you are back to car, go with a proper gun safe designed to be bolted/secured under the seat since you are not trying to do a quick access to the locked case in car.

Last edited:

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I was a law enforcement officer. Carried for many years. I own one still locked up at home. I no longer carry out and about. The chances are higher of a stray bullet hitting a bystander than saving the day when one CCWs. Not saying dont carry. Just remember that.

People say…oh I have been through stress scenario training. I know how to use it….No one can understand the real life gun out scenario unless you have been there. I have. It was my job. I am sure we have military veterans on the forum that have.

My fellow officer and friend was shot over 15 times. My sergeant was shot in the chest with a shotgun. Your vision closes in and the first shot kills your hearing. Everything around and behind your target blurs out.

Anyway, Avoid a console box since of the two best that are out, once seen a burglar will work to pry open. They are not secure on all 4 sides inside console. Since you CCW on your person then lock in car at work and go back to on person carry once you are back to car, go with a proper gun safe designed to be bolted/secured under the seat since you are not trying to do a quick access to the locked case in car.
And there we have it. A professional that doesn’t think civilians carrying makes anyone safer.

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Gosh! I guess it's settled then. 🤷🏻‍♂️😂
Gross. There have been over 600 mass shootings in the US this year. Show me more stats about the exceptions. I’ll show you stats on the rule.

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
Gross. There have been over 600 mass shootings in the US this year. Show me more stats about the exceptions. I’ll show you stats on the rule.
You asked for something already and I supplied it to you.
This isn't a relationship.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
You asked for something already and I supplied it to you.
This isn't a relationship.
Wow. At some point people should decide if they actually care about others.

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
@Snake Eyes Thank you for your service!
There is an old saying ‘Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.’
I have never been in a combat situation but I have been punched, slashed, shot at, and even nicked once.
I carry now, not every day but when I feel that more than just me might be at risk. I can’t say that I wholly agree with @Summitdan but a weapon in an untrained hand is as dangerous as one in a perpetrators hands.
Sponsored