Sponsored

New Apex 12K Harbor Freight winch Install

sdk131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow - Sarge Green
I just bought another Apex today for my Ram TRX and CURT 31010 Trailer Hitch Winch mount https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GMX3GE?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
That is the exact mount I plan to use. The few cheaper options out there I have seen in person were just a bit too flimsy for my taste. I have always been pleased with other curt products as well. I will likely be using a curt front receiver mount under the front bumper as well.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Sorbs

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
That is the exact mount I plan to use. The few cheaper options out there I have seen in person were just a bit too flimsy for my taste. I have always been pleased with other curt products as well. I will likely be using a curt front receiver mount under the front bumper as well.
Know that the hitch receiver has 3 hitch positions but is on the long side. My spare tire only allows me to use the 1st position. Since you’ll need the extra length for mounting under your front bumper it’s a well made solution for ya.

doc-ketamine

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Just wanted to follow up, are you guys all still happy with the winch a year or so after your installs? Tempted to pick one up, my local HF has them in stock with the 20% coupon this weekend.
Thrilled with my APEX BADLANDS 12k. Love it so much that I pulled it off my old JTR and put it on my new JTR. Fits well on the Metalcloak bumper. Even used the winch to recover a Tacoma.

ADK Tiro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Music Teacher
I am still thrilled with mine. I used it to help a friend build a culvert slide for his son’s treehouse and for dragging 38"+ stumps around my yard. Oh, and I had trouble getting through a snow mobile trail and winched at least a dozen times to get out of that. All of that went off without a hitch.

Sponsored

REDBEAST

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2017 Jaguar F-Type SVR
Occupation
Retired
IMG_5975.jpeg
IMG_1880.jpeg
Apex winch power controller.jpeg
What you need:

1. WARN 101255 Winch Mount Plate for 18-19 Jeep JT/JL with Factory Steel Bumper = $273.99 @ Quadratec
  2. Harbor Freight Apex 12k winch = $599.00 with coupon
  3. Harbor Freight 6 Ft. Inverter Cable Set - SKU #63747, #2 AWG = $30.00 with 20% off coupon
  4. Home Depot metric M8-1.25 zinc flange nuts x6 = .72 cents (re-using steel bumper hex bolts to cover holes in bumper)
  5. Deep sockets and short sockets - 13mm, 16mm, and 18mm
  6. Jeep Hex bits
  7. Metric allen keys

Steps to remove bumper:
  1. Remove lower skid plate with 13mm socket
  2. Remove plastic spacer between bumper and grill (discard)
  3. Disconnect foglight coupling on the passenger side of the bumper frame rail
  4. Remove 8x18mm bumper bolts with a deep socket
  5. Remove winch cutout panel but keep hex screws for dress up after the install
  6. Install Warn winch plate per instructions

Prepping Apex for control box removal:
  1. Follow instructions to remove control box enclosure from top of the winch
  2. Completely disassemble enclosure
  3. Take wireless switch and winch control wired plug receptacle out of the enclosure
    • Note: winch plug receptacle wires use Siamese blade connectors to the electronic controller. Just disconnect each wire at the siamese blade connector to pull wires through enclosure hole
  4. Optional: use electrical tape to clean up loose wires and strengthen connections

Install winch to the winch plate
Note: if you want to get your hands inside the bumper do not bolt winch to plate yet, just make sure the anchor nuts on the winch are secured with tape so they don’t fall out while you're futzing with the bumper nuts. You’re going to be under the winch plate lining up your winch after your bumper is secure so if those nuts fall out you’ll need to remove the bumper to get to them.​

Electrical install
  1. With the 6 Ft. Inverter Cable Set connect wires (Red, Yellow, Black) to winch terminals using enclosure delete kit that comes with the Apex winch; run cables along passenger frame rail up to battery
  2. Connect wires to winch control block
  3. Tuck controller box between passenger fender and battery
  4. Connect power wire to control block
  5. Connect ground to the battery
  6. Test wired/wireless controller on the free spool (hold controller wireless button for 3 seconds to turn on)
Kool. Just one question; where did you end up mounting the wired plug receptacle? FYI, I,m running the Genesis dual battery system and it,s a little cramped in that area.

OP
OP
Sorbs

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Kool. Just one question; where did you end up mounting the wired plug receptacle? FYI, I,m running the Genesis dual battery system and it,s a little cramped in that area.
Good question. I ended up running the plug wire under the windshield wiper cowl to the driver's side and into my cab. Note: the wireless controller is the best solution but in a pinch the wired connection works just the same and it is convenient to have it on the driver's side of the rig.

DV8R

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
New Jeep owner and total noob, so please bear with me. I'd like to buy and install the Apex 12k but I've still got questions about how.

1. The specs on my Gladiator say "winch ready steel bumper." I'm assuming that's underneath this plastic molding?
2. Are there any instructions on how to cut the plastic molding for the winch? It doesn't look like mine has a cut out panel.
3. Are there any instructions on how to connect the winch to one of the four auxiliary switches?

Thanks in advance,
DV in AL
Jeep Gladiator New Apex 12K Harbor Freight winch Install 20210720_113850

OP
OP
Sorbs

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
New Jeep owner and total noob, so please bear with me. I'd like to buy and install the Apex 12k but I've still got questions about how.

1. The specs on my Gladiator say "winch ready steel bumper." I'm assuming that's underneath this plastic molding?
2. Are there any instructions on how to cut the plastic molding for the winch? It doesn't look like mine has a cut out panel.
3. Are there any instructions on how to connect the winch to one of the four auxiliary switches?

Thanks in advance,
DV in AL
Jeep Gladiator New Apex 12K Harbor Freight winch Install 20210720_113850
If that is your bumper, it isn't winch capable, you've no cutout for your winch line to passthrough and it is plastic. If your build sheet shows you should have the factory steel bumper, you didn't actually get it.

Sponsored

DV8R

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I had a suspicion that was the case but was hoping that it wasn't. The dealer is 5min from my office so I'll be stopping in tomorrow. Thanks.

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
So I finally found time to install the winch using an American Trail Product plate. It appears to be a real nicely built plate. Unfortunately, I had assumed it would fit since it was listed as one of the compatible winches. After going through the whole process of removing the bumper and bolting on the winch plate, I come to find that the plate is slightly too small. I now wondering if I just got a bad plate? Anyone else got an ATP plate to fit?

20210925_195215.jpg

20210925_195158.jpg

20210925_195148.jpg

20210925_193946.jpg

20210925_185204.jpg

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
So I finally found time to install the winch using an American Trail Product plate. It appears to be a real nicely built plate. Unfortunately, I had assumed it would fit since it was listed as one of the compatible winches. After going through the whole process of removing the bumper and bolting on the winch plate, I come to find that the plate is slightly too small. I now wondering if I just got a bad plate? Anyone else got an ATP plate to fit?
They're most likely referring to the badland zxr 12000 and not the apex. Disappointing. I've got the same plate. Will need to mod it I suppose.
Sponsored