Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Any thoughts guys and gals?
I get where they are coming from. It's an expense they have to eat and FCA should have likely included an alignment in the reimbursement. What Dealers should be doing is being up front about it and saying that they can perform the TSB but there could be an uncovered charge to align the vehicle after.

Customer service to me is about setting expectations. I'm not going to be mad about something you gave me a heads up on.
Sponsored

TheMuffinOfEvil

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, Ram TRX
Occupation
Own Tech Support Company
WOW - changing out this steering gear should NOT change the steering wheel centering OR toe.
There it just no reason UNLESS someone else messed with the original steering gear to try to make it better (messing with play, preload, etc)
They are simply swapping boxes - like for like, and toe isn't even TOUCHED as the toe on these is set by a part not even connected to the steering gear.
In short, if a truck is IN alignment when it goes in, it HAS to be in alignment when it comes out.
This does not change toe - it's not possible, and it does not even go near caster (which on these is set in stone anyway unless you swap control arms)

The steering wheel being that far off tells me that someone, past or present, messed with it - meaning they screwed with the original steering gear or the original alignment (toe since that is ALL they can set in a JT alignment)

Someone did something you aren't aware of - and I can't rule out a prior shop visit or alighment.

You can NOT change camber on these - period
You can NOT change caster without changing control arms, and then you only set both sides by the same amount - you can't possibly change caster DIFFERENCE side-to-side
Changing the steering gear will NOT change toe - period. TOE is set independently of the steering gear.
Changing the steering gear should not change the steering wheel position unless there was something going on with the original gear or someone messed with it - or messed up......

A JT "alignment" is a misuse of terms since all you can set is toe and center the steering wheel, without after-market parts.
Literally 50 miles before my trip to the dealership, my 4x4 shop dialed the alignment in for me. It was dropped off perfect.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Literally 50 miles before my trip to the dealership, my 4x4 shop dialed the alignment in for me. It was dropped off perfect.
Assuming they didn't touch the steering gear in any way - someone really messed something up somewhere. Hard to imagine the wheel being that far off - worse yet, it having a PULL.
Now - did they install the CORRECT Steering gear - and not the one for a Wrangler? (although it should still work and not pull - it makes me wonder)
The pulling really has me because that indicates an angle is waay off - or toe is waaay off - or there's a tire issue (42 psi in one, 32 in the other would do it)

By the way, wasn't "The Muffin Of Evil" a Star Trek, TNG episode?

TheMuffinOfEvil

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Own Tech Support Company
Assuming they didn't touch the steering gear in any way - someone really messed something up somewhere. Hard to imagine the wheel being that far off - worse yet, it having a PULL.
Now - did they install the CORRECT Steering gear - and not the one for a Wrangler? (although it should still work and not pull - it makes me wonder)
The pulling really has me because that indicates an angle is waay off - or toe is waaay off - or there's a tire issue (42 psi in one, 32 in the other would do it)

By the way, wasn't "The Muffin Of Evil" a Star Trek, TNG episode?

I have the Rock Krawler Pro X Stage 1 set up, and a terra flex steering stabilizer, but that still shouldn't explain how they messed it up.

If TheMuffinOfEvil was a Star Trek episode its one I missed. Its my gamertag from when I was a kid, just never swapped to something more "mature" online.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I get where they are coming from. It's an expense they have to eat and FCA should have likely included an alignment in the reimbursement. What Dealers should be doing is being up front about it and saying that they can perform the TSB but there could be an uncovered charge to align the vehicle after.

Customer service to me is about setting expectations. I'm not going to be mad about something you gave me a heads up on.
Very well said, and what I tell folks - keep me informed, and things I know about going in, I'll deal with on my own.
But it takes minutes to check toe and steering wheel centering - that's all you can really do on these things. Sure, you could CHECK caster - but all you could do is report that it's fine, or off.

Sorry, but every time I see your user name I think of a Queen song......

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Rock Krawler Pro X Stage 1 set up, and a terra flex steering stabilizer, but that still shouldn't explain how they messed it up.

If TheMuffinOfEvil was a Star Trek episode its one I missed. Its my gamertag from when I was a kid, just never swapped to something more "mature" online.
Naw, those parts should have any impact, especially since they didn't BEFORE the TSB.

bmilleker

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
First, let me say, I had the TSB done, and the dead zone in my steering wheel is completely gone. It is a night and day difference.
I'd love to see a video of the steering wheel now. I had the TSB done, and although the steering is improved and tighter, there is still a dead zone. About an inch left or right from center.

TheMuffinOfEvil

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Own Tech Support Company
I'd love to see a video of the steering wheel now. I had the TSB done, and although the steering is improved and tighter, there is still a dead zone. About an inch left or right from center.
If I have a co pilot to try to hold the phone in front of me and record, Ill take you a video this weekend for sure.

Any particular speed?

bmilleker

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
If I have a co pilot to try to hold the phone in front of me and record, Ill take you a video this weekend for sure.

Any particular speed?
Thank you. Any speed will do. You can even be parked with the JT on. I am interested in seeing the movement of the wheel before the tires change. I should be able to tell from a parked position when the resistance of the wheels starts to happen.

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
I have 1/2" of play. It's noticeable at slower speeds. On the highway its not noticed at all. Doesn't bother me. Much better than 2".

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
What gets me is this is steering. Not something like emissions. Steering!

Seriously?

After lying prior to the fix coming out.

After lying about the fix parameters until dudes are handing over the actual bulletin.

And more worried about paying a tech a few bucks to do an alignment?

How about agree there is a serious issue, fix it. Like we do in USA.

Nothing more nothing less. Do good work.

Something wrong period. Very wrong.

Glad forum members have fellow Jeep Truck fanatics to help out!

Sorry for the rant.

TheMuffinOfEvil

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Own Tech Support Company
What gets me is this is steering. Not something like emissions. Steering!

Seriously?

After lying prior to the fix coming out.

After lying about the fix parameters until dudes are handing over the actual bulletin.

And more worried about paying a tech a few bucks to do an alignment?

How about agree there is a serious issue, fix it. Like we do in USA.

Nothing more nothing less. Do good work.

Something wrong period. Very wrong.

Glad forum members have fellow Jeep Truck fanatics to help out!

Sorry for the rant.
Dude I am with you.

Today made me feel dirty, like I was trying to get something for nothing, when all I wanted was for them to do right by me.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Dude I am with you.

Today made me feel dirty, like I was trying to get something for nothing, when all I wanted was for them to do right by me.
Any time you take a vehicle in for repairs, a TSB, no less, it should come out BETTER than it went in, not worse!