Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
New steering gear installed today. Couple QC questions.

1. Aft bolts look normal with approx 1/2" exposed threads but the front bolts are very long with approx 3" of exposed threads. Are these the correct bolts? Doesn't look right.

2. Who much tow-in should there be? I roughly measured approx 1/4"

Note: Jeep drivetrain is sock to include Rubicon 33" tires

Regarding steering improvement, I did notice a different/improved steering feel on the way home. It feels like steering inputs at higher speeds are now slightly dampened and/or the rate of correction is reduced. Too early to really tell but tracking also seems to be improved. Looks like they did a good job, no big messes and fluid level was topped off though steering wheel was no longer centered, off just a little.

Thanks, Jack

IMG_9011.JPG
Those bolts ain't right.
Toe on mine has always been 1/4" and that's pretty typical for other vehicles. Don't know the Jeep spec in inches, they tend to do degrees.
Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Let us know as you'll be one who had the brace before, but not after. Will be interesting to see your take on it.
day one

New box confirmed installed with all four new bolts. Also verified the steering fluid was not over filled.

Driving off the lot, HUGE difference. Noticeably tighter

0-55mph, drastically tighter. Wheel returns to center without my input after a turn now. (I already adjusted caster with new LCAs before tsb so this was an improvement post Maitenance)

65+mph, way better! Way less excess movement in the wheel. No wander with the wind or other traffic.

time will tell but my day 1 experience makes me think I wont be replacing the synergy brace.

also a note, the dealer had absolutely no issues with the after market lift / steering damper / track bar.

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
day one

New box confirmed installed with all four new bolts. Also verified the steering fluid was not over filled.

0-55mph, drastically tighter. Wheel returns to center without my input after a turn now. (I already adjusted caster with new LCAs before tsb so this was an improvement post Maitenance)

65+mph, way better! Way less excess movement in the wheel. No wander with the wind or other traffic.

time will tell but my day 1 experience makes me think I wont be replacing the synergy brace.

also a note, the dealer had absolutely no issues with the after market lift / steering damper / track bar.
Glad to hear you didn’t have any issues and it made a difference for you. I go in Thursday for my “evaluation”. Fingers crossed

Front Runner

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Insurance
Yea I hear ya!

I dropped my Jeep off on September 1st because the back window of my hard top was leaking and for this steering service bulletin.

The back window was done that day, and my Jeep has been sitting at the dealer since then

I texted the dealer on Sept 9th asking for an update and they said the steering parts should be there on the 17th.

The 17th has come and gone and I’ve heard nothing from the dealer.

I’m incredibly frustrated and just want this done and to get my Jeep back.

On Tuesday it will officially be a month that my Jeep has been sitting at the dealer for this.
Tell them to make that months payment.

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator , 2016 Wrangler JK, 2015 Renegade
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities
Replacement parts on order (or backorder) after evaluation and said they should be in around November or early December. Dealership can only order one replacement kit every two weeks per customer due to the backorder and current demand.

Sponsored

MemphisMississipp

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport Max Tow Pkg Gobi
Occupation
Retired Fed X truck driver
So....I'm wondering how many of those people on this forum who previously told me 'it's a Jeep thing' are now going to run out and try and get a new steering box. Hmmm.
I am for sure, I had a test drive but on the way home on the interstate I was wishing I had bought a ford. Then I heard it was a Jeep thing, am glad to hear there’s a fix . I will be calling them tomorrow.

Pescado

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Could someone tell me where I can download the latest revision to the TSB where it has a blurb on vehicles that have an aftermarket lift?
My service advisor initially was like "Oh you have a lift, I have to see if we can still cover it." He hadn't even heard of the TSB and wanted me to leave the truck for the day for diagnosis. He asked a tech who set him straight. The tech said lifts won't affect warranty coverage and no diagnosis necessary if the JT has the bad steering gear. He called the parts guy and got the part ordered and I was out in 15 minutes.

dodgeman70592

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2011 Challenger SRT IE #94, 2023 392XR
Occupation
Sales Manager
Had mine done a couple of weeks ago. First impressions were a decent improvement but nothing earth shattering. After a couple weeks to give a thorough opinion, yes, it’s a worthwhile change.

I had a JL for a couple years that didn’t have the issue, even with 37s it drove really well. Picked the Gladiator up last month and noticed some wandering at interstate speeds, wasn’t as bad on slower city streets. Saw the TSB get posted and got to the dealer quick.

The dealer didn’t want to accept the TSB I printed out at first but they finally gave in and ordered the parts. Took a couple days to get in parts and they scheduled me right away. I checked for new box number and bolts and also checked fluid level, all was good. They also said they aligned it as well.

Steering is really improved in corners, feels much more planted. The dead space has gone from a couple inches to maybe a quarter to half an inch? Would certainly recommend

JTMana

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
got the TSB completed a couple weeks ago and forgot to give an update here. FEELS 10000 times better! extremely happy about this fix. couple things very minor things i had to fix. dealer over filled the power steering reservoir (easy fix, used a pump to suck out the excess fluid) and i noticed i had that clunk sound while turning the wheel side to side. another minor fix. passenger side track bar bolt wasnt torqued down. dealer must've over looked it but im not worried about it. 2 simple minor fixes and everything is perfect

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Tell them to make that months payment.
Bank note and warranty repair problems are two different legal worlds and obligations. Rarely can you leverage one to get action on the other.

Sponsored

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
day one

I'm glad the t s b exchange went well for you.

Glad you have a sensible dealer that didn't give you grief with mods. After all so many people put mods on; even dealers before sale.

I *think* the first dealer chose a test drive where there was no traffic, and where they wouldn't have insurance claims. That's what the dash-cam showed. The other issue: I *think* the tech and the service manager never saw the t s b that we took in and gave to service writer what the problems were with our Jeep.

Just saying that so anyone going in can figure a way to get the t s b to the tech doing the evaluation. I should have scotch-taped it to the airbag! ;)

I would like to know if anyone adjusted the steering gear after the t s b was done to fine tune it. I'd like ours tighter.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
There seems to be some confusion here. The bulletin states that the customer may describe either steering wander or a pull left or right and if the customer does PERFORM THE REPAIR PROCEDURE. Bulletins can be performed without verification of the complaint. No need to test drive. Basically what that means is that if you come in complaining of either issue they can perform the bulletin. Bulletins are symptom based. As far as lifts are concerned the only thing that the bulletin says is that if it's lifted beyond the limits of factory alignment specs, the bulletin MAY not repair your concern. One alignment spec that will probably be out with a lift is curb height. Basically you jacked your Jeep up, you're on your own. There's nothing that says that they can't perform the bulletin due to your lift. If they say that there is, ask them to show it to you.

That being said, I never thought my steering was horrible but did notice that on straight highway stretches I'd have to "saw" the steering wheel back and forth slightly to keep it straight. With the new gear, there's basically none of that, or at least none worse than any other vehicle I've ever owned and that's a bunch of vehicles, as I'm an old fart. For a non rack and pinion steering system it now feels as good as it possibly could, I have no complaints.

Tire Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon JT, 2017 BMW X5
Occupation
Sales Director Alloy Wheel Repair
Third party confirmation.

Had the new box installed a month ago. She Who Must Be Obeyed drove it the other day for the first time since she refused to drive it months ago. She put 150 highway miles on it and stated that yes it was fixed. She was pleasantly surprised how well it steered. Her car is a BMW X5. No real comparison but no longer is the Jeep a danger to drive.

Hoss63

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU, 2016 Grand Cherokee, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Im 29 pages behind in messages so if this has been addressed I haven’t read it yet. Im getting my box installed Monday and dont particularly feel like pulling the synergy brace. Had anyone had an issue with their dealer with leaving it on?
Left mine on and mechanic bent the crap out of it getting it off and could not be used. suggest taking it off as usually the mechanic doing warranty work is not the best (brightest).

Tire Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon JT, 2017 BMW X5
Occupation
Sales Director Alloy Wheel Repair
I left the bracket and just took off the ring that braces the sector shaft nut. Quick and easy off then back on. And the tech was able to work around the bracket.

ShikGluon

First Name
Zaza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 2020 Punk'n
Picked mine up today! Checked and all seems good, got the right part and wow, drives nice so far! I will be taking him on the highway tomorrow to see how he handles. But so far, just around town, I could definitely tell the difference. At first, I was over correcting, cause that's what I used to have to do, so I might need to get used to not having to do that anymore. :)

Oh, my sister said she noticed a difference while riding in the passenger seat.

I went to the Laurel, MD Jeep dealership. If you are in the area, they were pretty quick about it to, didn't give me any issues.
Jeep Gladiator New JT Gladiator Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") DSC_2221
Jeep Gladiator New JT Gladiator Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") DSC_2223
Sponsored