Bradt530

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Follow up. I made an appointment 2 weeks ago. I get there at 1:30pm and tell the guy I'll wait. He informed me it was drop off only. That's why I made an appointment. He said he didn't know if they would get to it to today and that I may have to leave. ..(No way Red Rider) I'm getting pissed. I tell him I made an appointment online describing what was going on that it was wandering on the road and I looked like a drunk without drinking....He repeats that it was drop off only...Come in Tokyo..What's the point of making an appointment online and describing what's it's coming in for???

When I mentioned SB he acted like I was speaking a foreign language. Obviously he hadn't seen it. So we settled on me taking it next week early AM and leaving it there so they can diagnostic it . I will freaking loose it if they say they can't find anything. Just order the parts and tell me when they come in from back order. I will be happy to leave it so they can replace it.

I am asking my self is it worth the pain just to get them to look at it or should I just bite the bullet spend 250.00 on Synergy Jeep JL / JLU / JT Front Track Bar and Sector Shaft Brace ???

Jeep knows there's has been and still is a problem why in the heck did they finally have a service bulletin to address this. The dealership will probably blame all this drop off BS on COVID..It's just an excuse to say GO ON LINE MAKE AN APPOINTMENT TELL US WHAT IT IS COMING IN FOR SO WE CAN TELL YOU IT"S DROP OFF ONLY AND WE MAY NOT EVEN GET TO IT.
A follow up to the follow up. I took mine back in to drop off. Since I made an appointment on line about 2 weeks prior and they couldn't confirm they could get to it. You I made arrangements to drop it off and they could have it all day. I get a call 1.5 hours later. (why could the dealer just looked at it when I was scheduled???) I was told yes it would be covered under SB..But the parts were restricted??? whatever that means.
I ask so will you call me when they get in and set up a time to make said repairs. No just keep checking back they were only getting parts for that SB once every 14 days. I ask so no waiting list I just have to remember to call you back and check on it. He said that's right and it could be 4 to 6 months. Seems to me that whoever calls the day the parts get there they will get the repair. That's BS whom ever is waiting the longest should get the repair. But I'll call them everyday hoping to call at the right time.

So pissed that I have to deal with this maybe 6 months. I wrote and email to Jeepcares explaining my disappointment in the dealer and how Jeep is handling this SB. Low and behold I got and email from Jeepcaes saying they are looking into it (yea right..They already know) and they are going to escalate the case (at least it sound good) That I should be contacted in 1-2 business days.

We shall see how the saga continues and ends. In the mean time If you see a stingray grey 2020 Jeep Gladiator swerving on the road at Hi-way speeds It could be me I'm not drunk just trying to keep it between the lines.
Sponsored

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
A follow up to the follow up. I took mine back in to drop off. Since I made an appointment on line about 2 weeks prior and they couldn't confirm they could get to it. You I made arrangements to drop it off and they could have it all day. I get a call 1.5 hours later. (why could the dealer just looked at it when I was scheduled???) I was told yes it would be covered under SB..But the parts were restricted??? whatever that means.
I ask so will you call me when they get in and set up a time to make said repairs. No just keep checking back they were only getting parts for that SB once every 14 days. I ask so no waiting list I just have to remember to call you back and check on it. He said that's right and it could be 4 to 6 months. Seems to me that whoever calls the day the parts get there they will get the repair. That's BS whom ever is waiting the longest should get the repair. But I'll call them everyday hoping to call at the right time.

So pissed that I have to deal with this maybe 6 months. I wrote and email to Jeepcares explaining my disappointment in the dealer and how Jeep is handling this SB. Low and behold I got and email from Jeepcaes saying they are looking into it (yea right..They already know) and they are going to escalate the case (at least it sound good) That I should be contacted in 1-2 business days.

We shall see how the saga continues and ends. In the mean time If you see a stingray grey 2020 Jeep Gladiator swerving on the road at Hi-way speeds It could be me I'm not drunk just trying to keep it between the lines.
If I was you I'd get in touch with the parts guy, they're usually more reliable about this stuff.

BrightWhiteGladiator

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing - Planning & Research
Do you think they would be amenable to me asking them to also install the synergy brace with the new steering box (since they will already be all up in there)?

I have had it sitting in my garage for a few weeks. Seems like an efficient ask to me

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
Do you think they would be amenable to me asking them to also install the synergy brace with the new steering box (since they will already be all up in there)?

I have had it sitting in my garage for a few weeks. Seems like an efficient ask to me
I'm sure they have no problem doing it, for a fee, of course.

R JEEP

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
My update:
I 1st reported 8-19-2020 that I spoke to my local dealer about the TSB.
1 month has now past since I waited 2 weeks to order the parts, then another 2 weeks to get scheduled in for an appointment for install.
I dropped of my JTR Tuesday Sept 22 for a 7:30 AM appointment.
My SA called me this morning Wednesday Sept. 23 that the Jeep is finished and that I can pick it up anytime.
He stated the tech did not finish it until late yesterday and he had to do an alignment on it before he could give it back to me.
When I arrived I checked the steering gear and fluid levels just be sure they were changed
They were!
But: There were ZERO additional miles driven on the Jeep since when I dropped it of which raised the red flag for me.
Ok....so now off for the test drive....The steering felt better right from the start and was definitely improved....But the steering wheel alignment was way off center.... the top of the steering wheel had to be turned at 2 O'Clock to go straight down the road....so obviously the tech did not test drive my Jeep or check over his work...Not good!
Of course I went right back to the dealer and had a friendly discussion with my SA about this issue he immediately took my Jeep back in to the service bay and had the tech center the steering wheel and check the toe in on the alignment....
In the end everything turned out really well and I feel the Jeep is better than new in the steering department
I am glad I have been following this thread and learned of this TSB here on this forum...
Thank you to all the members who have contributed and hopefully everyone that has an issue with their steering can have a good positive outcome
I know that others have attached pics of the old style and the new box
But here are my pics maybe they will be of help to one of our members
Top pic is of the old style aluminum steering gear
Bottom pic is of the new style black metal gear box

Jeep Gladiator New JT Gladiator Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 20200902_115922

Jeep Gladiator New JT Gladiator Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 20200923_165738

Sponsored

4xjeepr

First Name
DON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Sport, 06 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 95 Wrangler Rio Grande
Welp.... One week waiting for my parts to arrive. Dropped off JT yesterday morning at 845am. Picked up this afternoon at 330pm. Made sure of new steering box, alignment, steering wheel, fluid level and PCM flash were all completed. Yep, check on all. Was in rush to get home and ready to get to work. Took Hwy 85 and 421 to work tonight. There is a marked improvement on my steering on highway. There is still a qtr inch play in wheel but much better than it was. I wouldn't label it night and day however there is noticeable improvement. Spoke to my SA, she informed me they did 2 Gladiators and 1 Wrangler yesterday on the TSB. She advised so far they aren't having issues getting parts to complete the repairs. I am hoping I have no further issues with this particular problem. Overall good experience with dealer. One week for parts and 1 day repair. Fingers crossed (and no more white knuckle driving).

JK4AER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2003 TJ Rubicon
Meanwhile I'm going on 3 weeks since the parts were ordered and they supposedly won't ship until end of month.

4xjeepr

First Name
DON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Sport, 06 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 95 Wrangler Rio Grande
Know that sucks, I imagine the parts depot in your area has more demand that NC. Alot more Gladiators sold in Texas.

smw17gladiator

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Max Tow
[
I'd do it........ don't wait.
Update - Thanks to all for all the info and feedback on the this forum, without which I know I wouldn’t have been nearly as well prepared to find and address this steering issue with the dealer. And thanks to shadowspapa and others for the quick response advising to get it done. Brought mine in late Friday, and after some delay - not nearly as bad as some I’ve read on here - TSB was completed Monday. Wanted to give it a few days, but count me in the group saying it’s definitely a very positive difference. Didn’t think it drove terribly before but noticeably tighter steering at highway speeds and less wander. Extremely glad to have done it.
For what it’s worth to others, my service adviser did tell me on the first day that his manager had told him they needed to drive the Jeep and get video of the issue in order to approve repair. Since I had read comments here about similar experience, I simply pulled up the bulletin and showed how that was inaccurate. No further discussion about that. And this service adviser told me when I came in for my scheduled appointment that he had been checking periodically and didn’t think they had the parts in, specifically the bolts. Again, having seen this issue discussed on here I had already checked with the parts department and confirmed they had the bolts in stock (several actually) and the parts guy was good enough to tell me he was holding a set back for me until I got my truck in for service. As others have noted, might be worthwhile to double check directly with parts department and show them pet numbers from bulletin and have them confirm availability. Again, thanks all for the info ahead of time that made this much less hassle on my end than it otherwise might have been.

smw17gladiator

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Max Tow
[

As others have noted, might be worthwhile to double check directly with parts department and show them pet numbers from bulletin and have them confirm availability.
I guess you could show them your pet numbers. Though now that I think of it, the part numbers might be more helpful. :blush:

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I guess you could show them your pet numbers. Though now that I think of it, the part numbers might be more helpful. :blush:
YOU try to get their numbers...........

Jeep Gladiator New JT Gladiator Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") kittys-on-shelf

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Park Jeep in Minneapolis ordered my parts without issue. They have done a number of these and have quite the queue of people in line. The don't expect my parts to be in until Dec/Jan timeframe. Sounds like there may be two queues, one for Gladiators and one for Wranglers. They said Wranglers are out to Feb at least for them.

Again, that is due to the number of people in line versus part availability. However, with some dealers now reporting things are on back order those times could get extended.

IamWardicus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently Driving: Sport S Max Tow Gladiator in Sting-Gray
Occupation
Management in a retail setting
I just called Crown Jeep in Dublin OH to get my TSB started. They did say the parts were restricted and they could order one kit every 14 days. I think I'm the only one waiting as they said they were putting in the order today and the appointment should be in the 2nd-3rd week of October.

I'll keep the process updated as it moves along. So far a good start though. No hassle whatsoever from the dealership.

TheMuffinOfEvil

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, Ram TRX
Occupation
Own Tech Support Company
So I had a freaking experience today.

First, let me say, I had the TSB done, and the dead zone in my steering wheel is completely gone. It is a night and day difference.

Now, let me tell you my struggle.

I get there to pick my Gladiator up and my service advisor who I normally have a great relationship with, is giving me a kind of off vibe, like they know I am about to be upset about something.

She hands me the paperwork and I ask if they lined the Jeep back up and recentered the steering wheel.

She says the TSB doesn't authorize them to do a real alignment, but the tech did a toe and go. From the ton of her voice I can tell this is what she knows I was going to be upset about.

I go for a drive in it, my steering wheel is a full 1/5th turn to the right from center to go straight, and its pulling horribly to the right over all.

My Jeep had been lined up by the 4x4 shop less than two weeks and 50 miles ago.

I turn around and go back, explain that I find this unacceptable, I dropped off a perfectly lined up Jeep with a centered steering wheel, I expect to leave with a perfectly lined up Jeep and a centered steering wheel.

They take it back, bring it back out not ten minutes later, the steering wheel is closer to center, but still not centered, still pulls to the right.

Back inside I go and ask to speak to the service manager.

He is sympathetic but again points out that Fiat wont pay to have it lined up.

Struggling to contain my temper that I normally have a good handle on, I explain yet again, that I dropped off a vehicle with a perfect alignment and a centered steering wheel to have a TSB done, and there was no way I was going to pay for an alignment on a vehicle with less than 5000 miles on it, and there was no way I was leaving to drive home with it pulling.

He did ultimately agree to align it as a gesture of good will, but I find this entire scenario completely insane and unreasonable.

I have gone to this dealership for almost a decade and have never had a bad experience but this really left a bad taste in my mouth that I had to stand my ground so hard to be treated fairly.

Any thoughts guys and gals?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
So I had a freaking experience today.

First, let me say, I had the TSB done, and the dead zone in my steering wheel is completely gone. It is a night and day difference.

Now, let me tell you my struggle.

I get there to pick my Gladiator up and my service advisor who I normally have a great relationship with, is giving me a kind of off vibe, like they know I am about to be upset about something.

She hands me the paperwork and I ask if they lined the Jeep back up and recentered the steering wheel.

She says the TSB doesn't authorize them to do a real alignment, but the tech did a toe and go. From the ton of her voice I can tell this is what she knows I was going to be upset about.

I go for a drive in it, my steering wheel is a full 1/5th turn to the right from center to go straight, and its pulling horribly to the right over all.

My Jeep had been lined up by the 4x4 shop less than two weeks and 50 miles ago.

I turn around and go back, explain that I find this unacceptable, I dropped off a perfectly lined up Jeep with a centered steering wheel, I expect to leave with a perfectly lined up Jeep and a centered steering wheel.

They take it back, bring it back out not ten minutes later, the steering wheel is closer to center, but still not centered, still pulls to the right.

Back inside I go and ask to speak to the service manager.

He is sympathetic but again points out that Fiat wont pay to have it lined up.

Struggling to contain my temper that I normally have a good handle on, I explain yet again, that I dropped off a vehicle with a perfect alignment and a centered steering wheel to have a TSB done, and there was no way I was going to pay for an alignment on a vehicle with less than 5000 miles on it, and there was no way I was leaving to drive home with it pulling.

He did ultimately agree to align it as a gesture of good will, but I find this entire scenario completely insane and unreasonable.

I have gone to this dealership for almost a decade and have never had a bad experience but this really left a bad taste in my mouth that I had to stand my ground so hard to be treated fairly.

Any thoughts guys and gals?
WOW - changing out this steering gear should NOT change the steering wheel centering OR toe.
There it just no reason UNLESS someone else messed with the original steering gear to try to make it better (messing with play, preload, etc)
They are simply swapping boxes - like for like, and toe isn't even TOUCHED as the toe on these is set by a part not even connected to the steering gear.
In short, if a truck is IN alignment when it goes in, it HAS to be in alignment when it comes out.
This does not change toe - it's not possible, and it does not even go near caster (which on these is set in stone anyway unless you swap control arms)

The steering wheel being that far off tells me that someone, past or present, messed with it - meaning they screwed with the original steering gear or the original alignment (toe since that is ALL they can set in a JT alignment)

Someone did something you aren't aware of - and I can't rule out a prior shop visit or alighment.

You can NOT change camber on these - period
You can NOT change caster without changing control arms, and then you only set both sides by the same amount - you can't possibly change caster DIFFERENCE side-to-side
Changing the steering gear will NOT change toe - period. TOE is set independently of the steering gear.
Changing the steering gear should not change the steering wheel position unless there was something going on with the original gear or someone messed with it - or messed up......

A JT "alignment" is a misuse of terms since all you can set is toe and center the steering wheel, without after-market parts.
Sponsored